What do you wish someone had told you when you started out?

Along with the idea of

Along with the idea of starting BF first, I think it is important to explain the rationale. Going barefoot first for a month or three will result in learning good form faster because you take advantage of the tactile sensations of your sole. That tactile sensation allows your brain to make tiny subconscious adjustments to form. Cut that sensation out and you have to rely on conscious analysis of form. Good form is easier to feel than think.

Before I took on BFR I read

Before I took on BFR I read all kinds of stuff on it - POSE running, everybody's website, etc. I won't say "nobody told me" (until later, after I'd been BFR for about six months I finally read Jason's book), but I wish more people had said, explicitly, "don't push off". I thought I had pretty good form, but I was still pushing off, which caused me some serious Achilles troubles in both legs. I was always stiff and sore, and had knots on the backs of my tendons from it.

When I finally read The Barefoot Running Book, Jason stated outright NOT to push off. This made all the difference in the world for me and the knots are gone, I no longer have any pain after a run, etc. If anyone else said it outright I missed it, but the second I read that sentence I went out and ran and noticed a distinct difference.

I think my problem was "lifting the feet" was not clear enough after running in boat anchors for so long. With shoes and running, "lifting" = "pushing off" and it wasn't obvious to me that was the case until somebody came out and said it.

1- You learn much faster with

1- You learn much faster with no shoes and on hard surface (no grass or sand). Your feet get direct feedback.

2- If something hurts, bend your knees more.

3- Relax, relax, relax. Use only your core muscles to keep your spine straight. Relax the arms, relax the legs, relax the ankles, relax the feet. Run like if you don't have lower legs, and keep those knees down.

4- Enjoy! It's all about having fun. If you forget that and focus too much on details take a break: go to a park or playground, watch kids running around and learn from them.

And all the usual: fast cadence, shorter stride, feet stay behind you, knees down, midfoot, etc.

I think the most helpful

I think the most helpful comment I got and from everyone here was to go bf first. I think in addition to the form issue it forces you to build mileage slower. Everytime I was forced to stop it was because of my skin. And skin heals way faster than bones, tendons and such. The first day I put on minimal footwear I pushed myself too far because I could and ended up sore for the first time since going bf. A sales guy at REI was complaining about all the VFF users who buy the shoes from him and don't listen about going slow and come in two weeks later yelling at him that they hurt themselves. I feel like they should put warning labels on them.

I agree, AJB, I have often

I agree, AJB, I have often thought the same thing: like cigarettes, warning labels should be put on shoes. Like sueing the cigarette manufacturers to get them to "change" the way they advertise their products has been successful, sueing the shoe manufacturers may help to accomplish this as well. Hey, maybe after we get the minimalist footwear standard going, we can work on getting the boat anchor manufacturers to put health warnings on their shoes! Who's in?

I also just want to say to

I also just want to say to Heather that I am sorry you never heard the warning so many of us preach about "lifting" your feet and "not pushing off." That is the advice I have always given here and at my previous home, "that other place." Hee. We also like to recommend that each person find their unique form, one that is healthy for them. I say unique form, because it's important to know that much of the barefoot running form is universal in that it applies to everyone, the rest of it is unique. The universals are lifting your feet, not pushing off, relax, bend your knees, etc. The unique part of it comes from what Jason points out, it is better to feel form than think form. At least you found your answer in Jason's book, before it was too late and you gave up on barefoot running altogether, which I hope is not the case for many. That is why it is so important, you guys, that we give the best possible advice, all the time.

I love this place. Yes,

I love this place. :D

Yes, I agree warning labels on shoes could be necessary. Especially right now, when VFFs are popular and people - myself included - have no idea how to take it easy in them. They go and over do it, then blame the shoe and "barefoot" running instead of realizing they couldn't be bothered to do a little research first and be educated on the subject. It was only after I got in a bit of trouble that I slowed down, did the research, and learned about proper form. The excitement really is the downfall of a lot of people.

1. Concentrate on the lift

1. Concentrate on the lift (a la Pose)

2. As many others have said, start bf only from the very beginning. Due to an injury, I was away from running for about 2 years. So, when I restarted, I could start with barefoot as if I were 10 months old and learning to walk. My advice: switch to another sport (cycling, swimming etc.), run only barefoot. Start with just a couple hundred meters a day, and very slowly. Your skin may adapt faster than your tendons.

Cheers,

Jamie

Yes, the minimal shoes should

Yes, the minimal shoes should also have a warning stating that although they may be a healthier option for you, you should still take your trantition to them slow and easy, just as you would with beginning to run barefoot, slow and easy.

Jamie, I think it is a good

Jamie, I think it is a good idea to recommend adding a different sport. I think one big reason so many people (myself included) overdo it, is that I went from 9 mile runs to 1/4 mile runs. But I wanted the "burn" of the 90 minute workout. I would have been much better off riding, swimming, anything...then working in the short runs until my body was ready. Instead, I fought different bouts of TMTS for 6 months, and I am just now putting it all together (if you overlook the swollen foot, my newest TMTS injury). But it doesn't really hurt....that much. ;-)

That's great advice, Miker.

That's great advice, Miker.

I admit to cross training a

I admit to cross training a LOT when I was first starting out for the same reason Miker suggests. Once I hit the three-mile mark reliably I gave up the biking except maybe once a week. I like to think I can go back to that when I nurse a cut on my foot or something though!

I think I honestly have to

I think I honestly have to say that I had great info when I started and I'm not sure I needed much else to get me going. I started running barefoot just after they added the barefoot running forum at RW and the more experienced BFR's there were great with sharing info.

If I were to give advise I would tell them to read Jason's book and ask lots of questions here and at Ken Bob's site. When starting, question everything you feel because you'll feel a lot of different sensations and possibly pains that you wouldn't running shod. Some are good but some are bad, don't assume anything, always ask.

Also, something that's not talked about too much, it's important to get to know the roads in your area. What may have seemed to be a perfect running route before can now be a road of hell until you build up your tolerance. When I was starting I slowly learned new routes in my town to avoid the streets that were in bad shape. You'll be surprised, you'll be avoiding WAY more acorns the you will glass and nails.

I have to agree with all of

I have to agree with all of the others in these posts-barefoot first then only can you use minamalmist shoes. Zems are what I will use. Now when cold and snow hit maybe five fingers or just the good ole treadmill. Barefoot truly is best !!

barefoot ramzev wrote:.

barefoot ramzev said:
. You'll be surprised, you'll be avoiding WAY more acorns the you will glass and nails.

Speaking of glass I wish someone would tell the world that running over bf it isn't really that bad. I got way more cuts by thistles, and dropping things on my feet at home than I did when I ran over a nicely ground beer bottle.

But I thought of one topic that I wish I knew in the very begining and sorta still wish I had more responses too. How to respond to other people telling you about "all the dangers" of running barefoot. I got some pretty ridiculous comments about all the horrible injuries I was going to get and it always took some time and googling to prove that the new ridiculous "threat" most certainly wasn't an issue. I think my favorite example of that was "you are going to get hookworm and die". Luckily they've all quit trying to "save" me now, but knowing those ahead of time would of been good for educating other people.

Board is good for answering

Board is good for answering questions about hookworm and stuff, if anyone needs to know. But for answering questions like, "What if you step on something?" Then you reply, "That's why God gave us eyes too."

I have only "seen blood"

I have only "seen blood" twice, both of them due to tiny (ca. 1 mm diameter) pieces of sand embedding themselves in my foot while running. I think that they get caught on the skin, and then with many steps, pushed in. The thing is, it doesn't bother me or bleed while running. I only notice the sand after the shower and figure that it should be removed. It's the operation that causes the bleeding.

The glass problem is way overrated. In Germany, we drink a lot of beer, and we use a lot of glass bottles to contain it. The result is a lot of broken bottles on the streets. It is really "half-full / half-empty" problem. Some might say there is glass scattered everywhere, but measured in pieces per sq. meter, we're looking at about a 99,9% of the area without glass.

So, I would also add to the list: don't worry about it.

Cheers,

Jamie

I wish someone had emphacized

I wish someone had emphacized the importance of placing my feet directly below my body and not out in front. I thought I was supposed land on the balls of my feet, but I was still "striding out" which meant I was running with this dumb goosestepping action. This terrible combination caused me to have a stress fracture.

barefoot ramzev wrote:I think

barefoot ramzev said:
I think I honestly have to say that I had great info when I started and I'm not sure I needed much else to get me going. I started running barefoot just after they added the barefoot running forum at RW and the more experienced BFR's there were great with sharing info.If I were to give advise I would tell them to read Jason's book and ask lots of questions here and at Ken Bob's site. When starting, question everything you feel because you'll feel a lot of different sensations and possibly pains that you wouldn't running shod. Some are good but some are bad, don't assume anything, always ask.Also, something that's not talked about too much, it's important to get to know the roads in your area. What may have seemed to be a perfect running route before can now be a road of hell until you build up your tolerance. When I was starting I slowly learned new routes in my town to avoid the streets that were in bad shape. You'll be surprised, you'll be avoiding WAY more acorns the you will glass and nails.
I agree with Ram on all these points. I think if I was starting out all over again, I would look at Ken Bob's getting started page and take everything he says to heart. As Ken Bob and others say, the important thing is to listen to what our feet are telling us. They are equipped with an amazing feedback mechanism, and it's really all you need to get started. That and lots of patience.

Due to my concern about

Due to my concern about people buying the VFFs without knowing how to use them I have recently started doing barefoot/minimalist running clinics. One of the biggest points I make is they need to understand they are learning to run all over again so they need to act accordingly. Unless they have been a toe-striker the whole time they need to consider themselves starting from scratch as a runner. And definitely, DEFINITELY start barefoot. That is THE only way to really figure out your form.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7