Vivobarefoot Jays

These look awesome, thanks for posting, I am looking for a new pair of casual shoes. I have an old pair of Dharma's, but the Jay's look more like a shoe, than a clown shoe.
Ha! Yeah, I've never liked the Dharma look too much, although I've considered getting them. But I'm really happy with the Jays. They're extremely comfortable and well-crafted, and they don't look any different than any other loafer. And I'm a big fan of laceless shoes, because I tend to want to take my shoes off at the first opportunity. So when I'm out and about, getting in and out of my car, or just going to the bathroom at my office, I'm taking my shoes on and off a lot.

For a shoe with laces though, the Ras look pretty good too: http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/ra-leather-mens-2013.html. I might consider getting a black pair of these to complement my brown Jays, or maybe I'll just get a pair of black Jays. The only other minimalist casual shoe I have are the Patagonia Advocates, but I've never liked the feel of the upper on those, although the sole has superb groundfeel. I have the SoftStar RunAmocs too, but they're a bit too Lord of the Rings to qualify as a casual office shoe. I use them for when I'm outside in the winter doing something like shoveling snow or playing with my kids.

@Nick, thanks for the link! Should've done that myself, but I was busy trying to decide whether to go back to sleep or work out. The former won.

Reactions: NickW
The Ra's have been on my list for awhile, just a bit pricey for me. I have a pair of the patagonia advocates as well, I like them, but wanted to like them more. They just seemed too floppy for me. I have had my pair of Dharma's for three years now, I wear them to work most of the time, and they still look new but during the summer they can be very hot.

The Ra's have been on my list for awhile, just a bit pricey for me. I have a pair of the patagonia advocates as well, I like them, but wanted to like them more. They just seemed too floppy for me. I have had my pair of Dharma's for three years now, I wear them to work most of the time, and they still look new but during the summer they can be very hot.
I got my Jays for 69 dollars, but 11 dollars off was store credit I had forgotten about (my older brother gave us a gift card a couple of years ago). If you go to the Zappos website, you'll see the brown ones are $105. Then if you apply for their credit card (the offer is kind of hard to see on the page, but should be around somewhere), and use it to buy the Jays, you get another 25 dollars off on your next purchase. OK, so technically it's not a discount on the Jays, but if there's anything else you wanted on Zappos, it's still a good deal, essentially $80 dollars, or $50 dollars off the list price.

$130 outright is a lot to pay though, you're right. Your experience seems to suggest, though, that the quality may be worth it.

Hey, I liked your recent blog post btw. I've also gravitated away from interval work, mostly do tempo, aerobic, and hills, although I still do short 'sprints' either on my hills workout or down on the track. I haven't done any 440, 880, or mile type intervals for a while though. Too much mental effort -- I'm lazy. But I probably should. I think there's some good benefit there.

Those are pretty nice, though the loafer look isnt really me. I've used the Ra's now for a year and a half and love them but they are hot and always wanting to take them off under my desk. And every time someone hollers for me or a meeting I got to lace em back up. The loafers would be much nicer to slip on and off.

I have a pair of SoftStar Dash's, got in all smooth brown leather for a passable office shoe, and they work great (except for the tiny reflective stripe but no one has ever n0tced it really, I could cut it off). They feel so comfortable and being completely flat and unformed they probably have one of the most minimalist fits. However the soles are bit thicker with an extra layer of leather, for groundfeel Vivo reins supreme amongst my collection. This isnt as big of a concern for office shoes though really.

Those are pretty nice, though the loafer look isnt really me. I've used the Ra's now for a year and a half and love them but they are hot and always wanting to take them off under my desk. And every time someone hollers for me or a meeting I got to lace em back up. The loafers would be much nicer to slip on and off.

I have a pair of SoftStar Dash's, got in all smooth brown leather for a passable office shoe, and they work great (except for the tiny reflective stripe but no one has ever n0tced it really, I could cut it off). They feel so comfortable and being completely flat and unformed they probably have one of the most minimalist fits. However the soles are bit thicker with an extra layer of leather, for groundfeel Vivo reins supreme amongst my collection. This isnt as big of a concern for office shoes though really.
Yah, I'm not really a loafter guy either, aesthetically, but functionally, I love the slip-on shoe. They are hot though, and I have hot foot. Once I'm inside my office I take them off right away. All in all, if you want a minimalist shoe that looks halfway normal, the Jays are a good bet.

would you say they look good enough for a wanna be quack like me? ;)

would you say they look good enough for a wanna be quack like me? ;)
For quackery, I would say the wide-toed Dharmas emulate the duck look better.

Butt seriously, with the Jays on, you'd never know we're whacko barefoot runner types. Don't look funny or quirky at all. Even my highly fashion-conscious wife approves.

And as Tristan noted, the groundfeel is pretty good. The leather is pretty good quality it seems, but this makes the shoe a bit hot for me. But almost any shoe is going to feel hot for me, even my canvas deck shoes from Target. That's why having shoes that are easy to slip on and off is key.

Reactions: NickW and migangelo
I have the Ra's in black and wear them once a year with a suit & tie.
Are the Jay's as roomy in the toe box as the Ra's?
The Zappo page survey says
57%
Moderate arch support.
Is that all in a removable insole? I took it out of my Ra's and they are fine.

I have the Ra's in black and wear them once a year with a suit & tie.
Are the Jay's as roomy in the toe box as the Ra's?
The Zappo page survey says
57%
Moderate arch support.
Is that all in a removable insole? I took it out of my Ra's and they are fine.
I don't have the Ras so I can't compare the two. My Jays are "D - medium width," and that works fine for me, but my feet, as seen in my avatar framing my Jesus-wife walking on water, aren't particularly wide.

The claim that the Jays offer moderate arch support seems bizarre, with or without the insole. In any case, the insole is removable.

Reactions: Longboard
I don't have the Ras so I can't compare the two.

What's Zappos return policy like?
Just pay shipping? Both ways? re-stocking fee?

Wow!
Thanks, looks like I've got nothing to lose.
If they work for me it may help my mid-winter hanging around outside in dressy casual cloths problem that can come up a few times a year.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Jays came and they are perfect for what I wanted them for. Incredibly comfortable for a closed shoe, and should be plenty warm enough for winter standing around outside.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts