Unshoes (Huaraches)

FNG-OscarMike

Barefooters
Jun 21, 2010
Link to review

http://www.barefootrunners.org/build2/blog-post/unshoes-review

I had ordered a pair of Invisible Shoes a couple months back and didn’t like them. I know I wanted a pair of huaraches so I kept looking and came across “Unshoes”. The price was reasonable and I liked the type of material that would be used to secure the foot to the sole (I found the rope used on the Invisible Shoes to be irritating). I placed an order through Etsy and including shipping it came to $43 for a pair made with the 4mm Vibram sole material, it’s the same sole material that Invisible Shoes uses. I know you can make these for really cheap, I just don’t have motivation to make a pair. It took 2.5 weeks for the pair to arrive. My initial thought is that they are great! The strap material is really awesome, it’s smooth and it doesn’t irritate my feet at all. The best part is that they come pre “laced” so all you do is put your foot in a pull strap to make it as tight as you need, there’s no tying involved. They stayed on my feet and had no issues with them staying in place. I am really loving them so far and would recommend them. Heres the guy's site. He was very quick to respond regarding questions and followups. Glad to give a "little" company my business. http://unshoes.wordpress.com/
1zqafzc.jpg

Now that looks like a

Now that looks like a huarache I can handle. Thanks, Mike. I think I will be placing my order shortly!

Norm Deplume wrote:Barefoot

Norm Deplume said:
Barefoot TJ said:
Now that looks like a huarache I can handle. Thanks, Mike. I think I will be placing my order shortly!

I concur. Please keep us posted on your impressions of them!

+2

Looking forward to reviews as

Looking forward to reviews as well. Those look great.

The only concern I would have with them:

With huaraches, the laces wear off after about 100 miles of wear and tear (in my case at least). What to do with these when this happens? Buy laces and turn them into regular huaraches?

I wouldn't think these would

I wouldn't think these would wear through as easily, Shacky. This is the first time I've heard of the laces on huraches wearing through at 100 miles. What type of material was used for the laces in your case?

I'm referring to the knot

I'm referring to the knot underneath the toes. I had mine wear through at around 100 miles of trail runs and have heard a few others state the same. I'd suspect that running on asphalt would wear through a bit faster.

I don't see any reason why these wouldn't wear through as well. Maybe not in the same time frame as the leather laces of my huaraches but nonetheless, they should wear through eventually.

Very nice!  I was hoping

Very nice! I was hoping you'd post a pic of the underside. The mfgr seemed to know what he was doing.

I don't think they will wear

I don't think they will wear through as fast as the other type of laces used for huraches. Only time will tell but the guy who made them seemed to know that the knots need to be reinforced. Not saying they will never wear out but I'm confident they will last a good amount of time. The lacing material seems to be covered in a epoxy so that the material isn't actually being worn at least not at first. Either way the lacing material is very durable and feels it would need to take a lot of beating before giving way.

2r4kakn.jpg

Er, not to hijack, but how

Er, not to hijack, but how do you replace your laces? Can you get them a la carte from BFT? I don't see them on the site....would be fun to order the new hemp colors when they come without having to get new soles. Or just from an....um....lace store? thanks.

I like the unshoes, too. My dh might want a pair...he is looking for some new sandals and was not into the huraches.

I see what you mean now,

I see what you mean now, Shacky. Sorry about the confusion.

chickpastorEr, not to

[quote=chickpastor

I sent a link to this thread

I sent a link to this thread to the manufacturer and here is his response in regards to the straps/lacing.

"By the way, the bottom of the webbing is actually melted/glazed so that it has a layer of plastic. It is then covered with adhesive to give it extra durability. If the straps ever do wear out you can contact me and send them back for repair."

Does he mean even if we use

Does he mean even if we use them to run in, he will repair them? I checked their website, and it doesn't say specifically that they are good for running in. It mentions other activities but not running.

Have you had the chance to run in them yet? If so, what did you think?

Hello,I am the guy that

Hello,

I am the guy that makes the Unshoes huaraches. I decided to join so that I could answer any questions. These sandals were originally designed because I could not find sandals that I liked enough to spend money on. I am not much of a runner although I have begun to do some trail running this summer. They were originally designed for outdoor adventure (hiking, backpacking, camping, watersports, etc.). I am, however, aware that there is a huge demand for minimal footwear for runners and I would like my sandals to be sturdy enough for any outdoor activity including running. I would love to get any feedback on how the sandals perform for running!

I am willing to make repairs on them even if they are used for running. I do have to consider how long they have been used and how well they have been cared for but I want them to last as long as possible. Part of the reason I began to be dissatisfied with the sandals I had been wearing for hiking was that they didn't last long enough and I had to pay $60+ for repairs or buy a new pair ($90) every year.

I am truly interested in

I am truly interested in these sandals over any other out there at the moment, but I am concerned about how long they will last while running, especially considering the cost. I appreciate that you will repair them, but to ship them back and forth becomes a concern for me. You have the real ability to attract a whole new audience to your product, an audience that is in need of alternatives. We would like to do what we can to help. I guess we start with feedback on durability then.

Are you still 2 - 3 weeks in backorder?

Coincidently I ran 4 miles

Coincidently I ran 4 miles today for the first time wearing 6mm Unshoes. I ordered them in early August and got them about 2 weeks later. The toe strap seemed like it would bother me, but after wearing them casually around for a couple weeks I gave them a try today on a run that includes trails, about a mile of gravel roads and asphalt. I have run this course one with my 4mm homemade huaraches and the gravel really hurt! Yesterday I ran it in my Bikilas and they got soggy from the wet grass so I decided to give the Unshoes a try today. They are more stable in the heel than my two pairs of homemade huaraches, but I still would not want to wear them running on muddy hills. The 6mm Cherry sole loses a lot of ground feel, but it is a good trade to be able to run on gravel.

I think the construction would be more durable than a polypro lace or leather. When I got mine, the area under the toes had a additional square of webbing glued for increased wear resistance, but I could feel it much more than a huarache knot so I carefully peeled it off. The strap stays in place since it has been melted into a flat shape and sits in a recess carved out in the sole. I'll watch it for wear, but I think especially since it is recessed it will not wear very much. The side straps are similarly melted and look very durable.

Not as fun as BF, but very cool.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts