Too hot?

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I was going to post a note to inform everyone that 96F is to frigging hot to run. I got 3 miles into a PM 5 mile run and bagged it, opting to jump into the mighty Schuylkill River instead. Then I got a post from a fellow running club buddy about our mutual friend Keith Straw, and I'm shamed. (He's the one in the pink tutu.)

See attached:

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/portuguese-australian-runners-win-badwater-ultra

Reactions: Darkand and Sid
I cycled and used the fastest bike I own in order to generate the most induced wind. Still was dripping wet any time I stopped. Can't imagine running more than 30 minutes in this heat/humidity. (real feel 105 according to the pros)

I was just outside doing my work lunchtime stroll and it was too hot to stroll. You could put a pile of clams out in the parking lot and they'll be good and steamed. Bring some butter.

Its getting hot in the UK took, warnings are being issued for next week and I can't remember the last time that happened. I'm not complaining though but it would be nice to have some air conditioning for the evenings.

I ran with my mates in the running club this morning in Valley Forge Park and saw Keith Straw there. So he ran Bad Water 2 weeks ago and then crossed the country to run the Vermont 100 Mile Race the following weekend. 2 others who'd run the Death Valley race joined him at the Vermont race and he said that they were surprised that the 95F heat they encountered was much harder to handle than the 125F because of the humidity. For him it was easier, the east coast fug being his native element. Oye!

I remember running down Maryland Parkway in Las Vegas with my roommate in the early 70s when runners were still getting beer cans thrown at them by passing drivers. It was about 105. We had running shoes (no socks - more like racing flats in those days) and running shorts on. A guy leans out the window of his car and yells, "Hey, you lost your clothes!" My friend responded without a beat, "No I didn't. I left them with your wife." I cracked up for the next two miles.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7