Tips for trail running barefoot

I'm going to watch this thread! :)
So far I've mastered sharp gravel (at least most of the time :D) but whenever I encounter bigger sharp edged rocks, my run either becomes a very cautious walk or I put on a pair of Huaraches - or both!

Exact same here...regular gravel isn't so bad....I'm going to take a picture of the stuff that kills me tomorrow and post it on here. I love the feel of the trail though and it frustrates me to have to slow down or put on my huraches..

I'd second Rick. Depends on the terrain, and the management of the trails (ie if the gravel fairies are busy). But, is it possible to do shorter stretches at first? Maybe incorporated in with pavement runs?

I think there's value in running in huaraches on the same terrain: your feet are still getting poked and stretched.

I myself have a problem with the smaller rocks and gravel and grit, but I haven't seen the terrain you're on. I picture Georgia being soft swampland!

Lots of the trails in Georgia are runnable at a slow pace at least 2 minutes a mile slower than pavement...even the very easy trails are still slower.

TMo where are the tougher running trails in your area? In your area I've ran at Kennesaw and Red Top mountains...Red Top is much easier of the 2.If you can run all of Kennesaw your doing pretty dang good I would say...a lot of it is runnable for me but there are a few tougher spots I walked thru.

Try to run less pavement and more trails and hit a trail that's just a bit too tough once a week. The distance plays a part too...some tougher trails are ok for say 5 miles but at 10+ miles are much harder as they go on.

Reactions: happysongbird
Ahhh, the joys of bf running on trails. To me it doesn't get any better (when conditions are right of course). Here are a few tips:

-When scouting out bf-able trails, carry some minimal shoes, i.e. vff, with you. You'll want to always carry them with unless you are certain that the trails are bf-able. Accept the reality that if you want to get the most out of bf trail running, you'll have to live with carrying the min shoes and putting them on occasionally.
-If you have a hard time finding bf-able trails, keep on scouting out different trails until you find some. Trust me, it will be worth it!
-In my area I find that single-track trails are on the average more bf-able than wider fire-road type trails.
-For minimal shoes to carry, I recommend carrying vff or other very light-weight full-covering min shoe, as opposed to huaraches, which I don't like for most trails because they let too much sand/dirt in.
-Try to go bf as much as you can, and learn to judge your tolerances of when you need to put on the min shoes for protection. Don't be afraid to push yourself though.
-Be careful not to focus too much on foot placement (where you step). It's just as important, perhaps even more important, to focus on maintaining a relaxed form and light foot strike, trusting the reflexes and spring mechanisms in your feet and legs to absorb impacts as you encounter obstacles.

Happy trails!
BR

Reactions: TMo
Lots of the trails in Georgia are runnable at a slow pace at least 2 minutes a mile slower than pavement...even the very easy trails are still slower.

TMo where are the tougher running trails in your area? In your area I've ran at Kennesaw and Red Top mountains...Red Top is much easier of the 2.If you can run all of Kennesaw your doing pretty dang good I would say...a lot of it is runnable for me but there are a few tougher spots I walked thru.

Try to run less pavement and more trails and hit a trail that's just a bit too tough once a week. The distance plays a part too...some tougher trails are ok for say 5 miles but at 10+ miles are much harder as they go on.

The hard trail of which I speak is Mt. Tabor. It is a mt. bike trail at a park in Paulding county. I can run all of Kennesaw Mt. trail BF but there are a couple spots around Cheatham hill that give me the same problems. I have just been walking those parts which is fine I guess, but if I am with people I feel pressure to go. My feet have felt bruised the past couple times.

Also, I run the streets in Marietta alot, and the concrete sidewalks are JAGGED. I actually prefer the asphalt.

I'd second Rick. Depends on the terrain, and the management of the trails (ie if the gravel fairies are busy). But, is it possible to do shorter stretches at first? Maybe incorporated in with pavement runs?

I think there's value in running in huaraches on the same terrain: your feet are still getting poked and stretched.

I myself have a problem with the smaller rocks and gravel and grit, but I haven't seen the terrain you're on. I picture Georgia being soft swampland!

Most of the runs are on clay or pine needles, just a few spots of granite and gravel...I live in the hills of North GA, so the swamp running is minimal. I do enjoy a good puddle though.

In our neck of the woods here in SE Pennsylvania the trails are either eroded sandstone / shale or eroded capstone like argelite or basalt, with some big granite in places. In some stretches you can find soil infill. None of it makes for good reliable BF running, IMO. Especially for trail races I happily resort to my VFF Bikilas. It's hard enough trying to put my feet down carefully at speed without worrying about laying one open on a too-sharp slab of shale.

In the lowland areas I've found trails that are runnable BF rocks aren't the problem. The worst is Multiflora rose, which has thorns long and hard enough to go through my VFF soles.

Unless I find that wonderful, sweet, reasonably safe BF trail I will always carry VFF for fallback.

Well I haven't found a minimal shoe I am comfortable running in and bfr trails is something I'd love to be able to do but around here there is just too much gravel. I can handle fine gravel, or boulders (atleast hiking - not sure about running speed), but the chunkier gravel I really struggle with. Still plenty of trails I havent been on so I'm looking out for one with finer gravel to practice on. Either that or I need to find out what I am doing to mess up my form when I try minshoes. I suspect with winter around the corner I'll be looking into that again.

The hard trail of which I speak is Mt. Tabor. It is a mt. bike trail at a park in Paulding county. I can run all of Kennesaw Mt. trail BF but there are a couple spots around Cheatham hill that give me the same problems. I have just been walking those parts which is fine I guess, but if I am with people I feel pressure to go. My feet have felt bruised the past couple times.

Your doing really good already...Kennesaw has too much man-made gravel sections...I prefer single track trails that haven't been messed with as the best. The mountain trails up near Dalton are very much rockier than most anything outside the mountains...they are tough to walk on barefoot and they are natural trails...even in light min-shoes running them will beat your feet up some. Mt Tabor looks like somewhere I want to try out.

I don't think its very likely you can run the roughest trails for much distance and carry speed like shod running...there is a point you reach its just not worth it. Finding this point can be a lot fun though if you can run the same path over and over...thru several attempts you figure out a way thru the tough sections. Its similar to mogul downhill skiing or running rapids in a kayak...you adjust and get better until you make it thru without walking. Slowly build up to where you can complete harder and harder trails without walking as a progression of accomplishment...that's how I look at it.

I'm lucky, I guess, in that I feel very comfortable in my Bikilas. I see no degradation at all in my form. I just prefer BF unless it hurts too much. If I am in a race situation, where I don't know the course intimately, no question - min shoes are on.

I deeply admire and wonder about those prodigies of BFR that actually race at a high level. Even BF Ken Bob, who has written about doing marathons on gravel and crushed stone. Oye!

My main goal this next season is doing trail events barefoot. However the one that will need the most focus is mostly all Limestone mixed with small gravel (hurts worse than large gravel imo). I live next to railroad tracks so I did some toughening drills running on the stones they lace with the railroad ties. It seemed to help a little but I still couldn't finish the 10k distance on a test run at the event site without my vff's. I also know that dropping my weight down to 200 will help with the pressure:p

I hear you about dropping the extra baggage. I have a permanent 10 pounds or so that refuse to go away.

As for the toughening process, well, bless your heart. Whatever brings you joy. I am not up to that much toughening, myself.

I just finished a short barefoot trail run here in Tulsa. We have an urban wildlife area called Turkey Mountain. The run went well except for when I started daydreaming, lost my focus and kicked a rock. Bare footing can be an unforgiving teacher at times. This is one thing that is different from a typical shod run. One moment's lapse in concentration and you can find yourself limping home. Fortunate for me, it was not too bad. I was able to continue and had a good finish to my run. The trails here are usually dirt bed with a mix of gravel, rocks and roots with some stretches of powdery dirt. I find them challenging, but doable. I've often wondered if there was a way to assign an number to the degree of difficulty with respect to bare footing. Something like a barefoot index that would take into account surface, terrain, technicality, etc... I'm not sure if there could be an objective way to do this for trails, but I think that for paved trails, it would be easier. I would be interested to hear what y'all could come up with.....thanks

Found this old thread - I'm now also getting some great mileage barefoot on asphalt - really want to conquer trails and be able to handle them barefoot - any other tips for improving here? Will the toughening of my feet on asphalt help me to be able to handle trails? 2 months into barefoot running.

Hi Tchaten,

At your beginning phase of BFR, the name of the game is slow and steady building. The other side of the coin is to resist the temptation to push speed and distance. I KNOW how tempting and frustrating it can feel to maintain strict limits, especially if, like many, you're coming from an experience base of conventionally shod high expectations.

Having said that, I'd recommend that you just put in good quality milage on any surface you find runnable, and to carefully experiment with off road trail sections once in a while. Try a diversity of terrains, but feel easy about stopping when you find yourself approaching your limit. In time your taste will develop and you will find yourself evaluating new trail experiences critically and even working up a list of favourites.

Not to distract you from the highly admirable goal of becoming a perfectly adapted BF runner, but you might consider expanding your "toolbox" to include some minimalist footwear to help deal with truly inhospitable ground. I ran purely BF for 4 months before I bought a pair of VFF Bikilas to give me the confidence to tackle a 10 mile trail race. Since then I've run through them, bought another pair of Bikilas, and even another pair of VFF Spyridons for rougher ground and icier surfaces. In early spring each year I do my first few BF runs on pavement carrying my VFFs in my hands, just in case.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7