This guy is an idiot

That guy looks like maybe he

That guy looks like maybe he should take up running. And I think "he" should have to wear shoes...just for being a butthead! :)

Sounds to me like the guy

Sounds to me like the guy just lost a heck of a lot of votes. How many dang parks are there that are big enough to run a marathon? Now any of the marathoners and bikers who were planning to vote for him have probably changed their minds. Good job being an ignorant politician.

By the looks of him, he

By the looks of him, he doesn't have a clue how long a marathon is. Of course he would say, "Take it to the parks." What's surprising is how key people didn't even know there was a marathon with 20,000 people running.

Crap.  I was chatting with a

Crap. I was chatting with a friend who lives in Toronto about joining her for a marathon there. Damn sure ain't going over there for a run through a park.

I am pretty sure the NYC

I am pretty sure the NYC Marathon started out as just loops in Central Park. Philly could manage an entirely in-park marathon. But that is not the point of big city marathons. They are urban celebrations - they serve as the party for the city. I would never have gotten into road racing if it weren't for the thrill of being allowed on the roads and really owning the streets. I hate cars, I hate always having to dodge them.

He has some decent points

He has some decent points outside of being clueless about how marathons work. races that close major roadways do need to be advertised more on the radio and tv in the days before. it probably would be ignored and people would complain but at least they could argue that they tried.

I also respect that he at least offered a solution rather than just making a dumb statement. The park idea is insane but actually having a road route in mind that wouldn't effect the major roadways is halfway intelligent. New York did start as loops around the park but that was when it was just a bunch of "cooky" men showing off how tough they were :) Try to put those 50 thousand people in the park for a race today and you would have a disaster. You gotta have the roads to allow the numbers races draw but that doesn't mean they have to be on the biggest roads I guess.

He does need to learn more about running and races before he speaks more on the subject because he's just making people angry with some of his hair brained thoughts.

If you ever get a chance,

If you ever get a chance, watch the documentary "Run for Your Life" about Fred Lebow starting the NYC Marathon. The first NYC Marathon was in Central Park and he hired PLAYBOY BUNNIES to represent for the women ... I think their sponsor was a maxie pad company or something. OMG those were the days I days! Lol.

Not to mention the utter chaos of looping and looping and looping in that tiny little park. It's an awesome documentary. You totally reminded me of it and now I just want to watch it again! :)

Sounds like a good one,

Sounds like a good one, Mary. I gotta see that.

I don't think Bunnies ran the

I don't think Bunnies ran the marathon but rather the L'eggs Mini-Marathon (10K, I think). In Philly, park roads are regular-sized (one-lane). For the start you would need a big street, but otherwise it could be done without disrupting alot of major traffic. Central Park would be out of the question. Didn't the first all-borough marathons include a stairwell??! always thought that was hysterical - that documentary is so good.

My favorite part was the

My favorite part was the utter terror expressed of people running through the Bronx. They seriously spent about 20 feet in the buroguh before booking it outta there :O

Yeah, you're right about the L'eggs mini run...more of a stunt, really. I feel really sorry for the serious girls who had to run in that joke of a race.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon