Speed!

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
Does surface type dictate your running speed?

When I hit rough pavement my body automatically slows itself down, even if I am consciously willing it to go faster. Does anyone else experience this?

I believe that is true.  The

I believe that is true. The surface will definitely slow me down if it's rough. I also notice I slow down A LOT when running in the dark.

I think so, too.  I agree,

I think so, too. I agree, TJ... when it's dark outside- I can't help but slow down even when I know the terrain is safe. Of course, I think it was the same when I was shod. It's more a fear of falling over something or in a hole then stepping on something sharp/rough.

I don't think it's a fear for

I don't think it's a fear for me. I just can't tell that I am moving, fast or slow.

OK, I'm the weird one here. I

OK, I'm the weird one here. I noticed that if the surface is rough my speed actually increases, according to my garmin. I think it is a reaction to get away from the rough parts

I thought about this post

I thought about this post last night running over a rough patch and I mentally willed myself to speed up (to get it over faster) and it worked fine - less painful in the long run.

Again, I am a lowly turtle,

Again, I am a lowly turtle, and when it comes to running, I have absolutely NO urgency. Trust me, if pain were a factor in my speed, I'd be faster than you all. ;-)

When I first started running

When I first started running barefoot I used to slow down on tougher terrain. Now I keep my pace, and actually go faster over rougher terrain. I found out that if you go slow it's tougher to run on. Increasing speed you have less time your foot comes in contact.

Through trial and error I have found out that 90% of barefoot running is mental. Such as increasing speed, running on different surfaces, etc. You have to physically and mentally push yourself beyond your comfort zone if you want to make any gains with barefoot running.

I agree with adam actually. 

I agree with adam actually. When I hit a rough patch I quicken my cadence and go faster. It causes way less discomfort that way because your feet don't stay in contact with the terrain as long. It seems a little counter intuitive though, so I think it takes a conscious effort to go faster on rough terrain.

Urban streets/sidewalks

Urban streets/sidewalks are different then rural roads with no sidewalks and trails with varying degrees of difficulty. Even Jason was forced to put on the huaraches on a run recently because of surface conditions. I would imagine it was affecting his speed and comfort threshold at some point before he decided to put them on. I have quite a variety of running surfaces and my times are all over the board depending on the route and surface conditions along the way. I am curious to see how much this will change over time. I am currently BFR in the mid twenties weekly with a long run of nine miles scheduled for this weekend. I am confident my times and durability will continue to improve but I cannot imagine at this point being able to blast through some of the stuff I am subjected to at the same pace.

Agreed, I really have to work

Agreed, I really have to work at it to keep my pace up on rough ground.

I am a habitual before work runner and I tend to run the same 3 routes which all circulate in the same neighborhood. My truck tire popped on the way home from work last night. I was a couple of miles from home and I didn't have an iron to pull the wheel off. So I hoofed it home. I had no idea how nice running on normal pavement was. The crap I run on sucks, miles of gravely chip seal.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7