Soft Star Dash

For me Gentile, the ones that

For me Gentile, the ones that I've seen prior to just relooking them up, were ugly as sin. I just found a pair when refreshing myself why I've never bought any and these were not bad looking at all. Maybe others are like me and have only seen ugly ones? I am interested in the one pair that I just found though. And if I remember correctly these are made not far from me too. These also look dressier than a lot of minimalist shoes too and could pass for such depending on how much you abuse them.

http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1818

I have a pair and it's just a

I have a pair and it's just a thin layer of leather and vibram between you and the road. No, they aren't the prettiest, but I agree, they are likely the closest thing to barefoot. Think Invisible Shoe with a top.

Do I have to think Invisible

Do I have to think Invisible Shoe? I am not a fan of them or the way they promote their products. I am really interested in the 2 mm road sole for the Dash. That really interests me. Maybe for christmas I can get a pair.

NickW wrote:Do I have to

NickW said:
Do I have to think Invisible Shoe? I am not a fan of them or the way they promote their products.

Nick, thanks for confirming that it wasn't just my gut reaction to Invisible Shoes... Two guts have to be better than one, right! As for Soft Star, those people are fantastic! I'm in love with my Ramblers for when the temps dip. I am far more likely to wear them over my Vivobarefoot Dharmas when I have to wear footwear and can get away with something less dressy.

Gracia y paz,

a

Alejandro, I know how they

Alejandro, I know how they promote is very common in the business world, but the misleading comments and promotions seem very underhanded and snake like which I just don't like and don't want support. They actually use a specific dealer to compare to and they don't compare apples to apples trying to make themselves look better and someone else look shady. They lost my business because of this and I have nothing vested in this other company and have no personal feelings towards anyone there. I just don't like to deal with companies that act like this if I don't have to. Lucky for me I don't.
bigsmile.png

In my oppinion the original

In my oppinion the original Run Amoc's (not the Dash's) are the ones that are a bit ugly, but I wear them to work everyday anyways, and since they are black leather they don't stand out too much. I have run in them a bit, and they are great for running. I plan to get a pair of the Dash's for work as they are a lot better looking.

None of the Softstar shoes

None of the Softstar shoes look ugly to me. In my opinion, ugly is what happens when either of the following conditions are met:

1. Logos/text are visible.

2. More than two colors exist on a single shoe.

That said, looks are not the most important thing to me. Altra's shoes look ugly to me but the Adam's proposed functionality outweighs its detriment of appearance. As long as the Adams don't have any engineering mistakes in fit or security, they will be my shoes for this Winter. I wish I could buy them in chocolate brown and without any logos/text visible when viewed from above.

I have all Soft Star models. 

I have all Soft Star models. The Moc3 is superior to the Dash in terms of groundfeel because it is more flexible. The Dash however has better sizing options and laces allowing for a tighter fit. It also has a trail option for those who want a bit more protection.

Whether you prefer the Moc3 over the Dash depends on whether you value groundfeel or fit more. I value the former, so I go for the Moc3. The only time I prefer the Dash or Runamoc is for ultras and rough trails, when I need the extra protection.

Saypay, I am happy you chimed

Saypay, I am happy you chimed in! What size are you in the Moc3?

I had the oppurtunity to try on the Moc3's. I am usually a size 11. I tried on the 11A everything felt good, but felt my big toe was a bit close to the end. I tried on the 12A, they were okay just for casual wear, but felt that running in them would be too flobby. My purpose for them is to run in them. Do they stretch at all?

Saypay, when you said that

Saypay, when you said that you choose the Dash/RunAmoc over the Moc3 for rough trails, are you comparing the 2mm sole Dash/RunAmoc with the Moc3, or are they the 5mm?

@Adam, I am a 10A in the

@Adam, I am a 10A in the Moc3. I have the same problem as you with sizing. The 10A is a bit too long for me, and the 9A is way too short. If the shoe feels a bit floppy when you try it on, it will become more floppy as you run, especially if the shoe gets wet.

Soft Star shoes will stretch a little as you wear them. You can help along the process by sticking wet towels in the toes. It does a great job giving a bit more room.

Also, if you go with the Dash...they run smaller than the Runamoc and the Moc3 for some reason.

@Nyal: I have both the 2mm Dash and the 5mm Dash, and use both for trails. I like both of them better on trails because when the Moc3 gets wet, it takes forever to dry. And while wet it feels like a really heavy sock, which I hate.

My Dashes are both the solid leather, so they do very well to keep out water and debris. The 2mm is good for most trails, but I do use the 5mm for really rough ones.

But if groundfeel is the most important thing for you in a shoe, then the Moc3 is hands down the shoe for you. Nothing on the market even comes close.

saypay45 wrote:mad:Adam, I am a

saypay45 said:
@Adam, I am a 10A in the Moc3. I have the same problem as you with sizing. The 10A is a bit too long for me, and the 9A is way too short. If the shoe feels a bit floppy when you try it on, it will become more floppy as you run, especially if the shoe gets wet.

Soft Star shoes will stretch a little as you wear them. You can help along the process by sticking wet towels in the toes. It does a great job giving a bit more room.

Also, if you go with the Dash...they run smaller than the Runamoc and the Moc3 for some reason.

Thanks!

I tried the Moc3... Using the

I tried the Moc3... Using the sizing instructions on their site, the recommended size seemed insanely huge. So, I ordered one size smaller. What I wound up with was still a bit big and with horrible gaping around the collar (or whatever you call the opening around the ankle). Consequently, I returned these.

Spent some time on the phone with a Soft Star elf - gave them my foot measurements and described how the Moc3 fit. They suggested that I would probably fit in a Dash - one size down from the Moc3 I'd ordered and built on their narrow last. They were right.

Today, I am absolutely in love with the Dashes - as running shoes and everyday shoes (that I even wear for business). I have two pairs with a third on the way.

All of mine have the 2mm sole - which isn't as thin as it sounds. There is also a leather insole. So, groundfeel is a bit more muted than I'd hoped.

Buzzie:  Thanks for your

Buzzie: Thanks for your insight. The one thing I notice with the Moc3 they were very loose around my ankles, I have very thin boney ankles and they just were swimming in that area. These are expensive shoes so I really want to be sure what I order before I pull the trigger, I don't want to keep returning as well.

I am thinking the Dash might be right for me as well.

Just received my third pair

Just received my third pair of Dashes... Was initially sad that they don't fit like my others. Then remembered that I'd had to break those in a bit too - give the leather around the toes opportunity to stretch to the perfect fit.

I stuffed wet rags in the end

I stuffed wet rags in the end and shoved shoe trees in there to make more room in the top for my toes. much better now. The Dash shoes are under rated in my mind.

Thought about doing the wet

Thought about doing the wet rag (or similar) to speed things along, but found the leather did its thing after just one 5-mile run. Now, happy happy!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts