seperate BF division

migangelo

Chapter Presidents
Jun 5, 2010
portland, or
i'm wondering how many others out there feel there should be a seperate bf division in races and why?

i myself don't think there should be one. why? becuase then there should be a division for shoes worn, manufacturer, trail, road. choice in footwear is up to the person and does make a difference but not enough to warrant a seperate division.

your turn.

Mike

A runner is a runner.  It's

A runner is a runner. It's that simple. It does not matter what is, or isn't on your feet. Nothing complex about it. Many BF runners like to run with egos so many want their special labeled group. Kind of silly......

I feel the same. we all run.

I feel the same. we all run. I want to convert, not alienate. Hmm, convert seems like a strange word looking at it.

Mike

You want to talk about ego's

You want to talk about ego's go hang out in a marathon forum. I think it's a fantastic idea to have a seperate barefoot division. Most barefoot runners to me, seem quite laid back and just enjoy running for running.

Personally I don't want to be a barefoot ambassodor and have no interest in "converting" anyone.

i race just to race. everyone

i race just to race. everyone has a bit of an ego and to ask for a seperate division is showing a big ego. i don't want to be seperated like that. i will gladly make fun of myself for being a bf'r but don't want to be treated differently.

see, i knew convert would be a strong word. i like ambassador better. what i meant by converting is just showing people they can run without shoes and do just fine.

Mike

I understand where you are

I understand where you are coming from, and yes I do agree we all have some ego at race day, keeps the blood flowing! I just never looked at as having an ego. I would have alot of first place medals if the races I ran had that division, even a marathon first place medal!

Okay, you asked for it. This

Okay, you asked for it. This is my opinion. This is something I wrote a long time ago to a friend on this very subject:
It's a shame that some shod runners may feel, as you call it, "alienated," because we are very inclusive to everyone when it comes to getting involved with running barefoot. It does require them to shed their shoes first though. We also recognize the importance of promoting our sport. In fact, one of the missions of the Barefoot Runners Society is to promote the sport of barefoot running around the country as a competitive sport. Our mission statement can be found on our site's home page. Our mission statement was agreed upon by the founding board members, Cameron, Jason, Preston, Victor, Haley, and me. We say "competitive" as in one barefoot runner competing against another barefoot runner to see who can reach the finish line first. It's not a barefoot runner thing against a shod runner thing. It's about one barefoot runner competing against another barefoot runner. There are Barefoot Runner Divisions popping up all around the country, and they will continue to do so. In just these past few days, we were contacted by the New York Times and the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric looking for barefoot runners to feature in their news stories/segments about the upcoming NYC Marathon. They weren't asking for a shod runner. They were asking for a barefoot runner, so apparently, there is something "different" about it. It's very possible that the shod runner is the one who is at the disadvantage here; the jury is still out. Running on pavement/concrete/asphalt/Earth and running on cushioning are two different terrains. A barefoot runner doesn't have someone throwing cotton and padding under every step they take. So, not only is the sporting equipment different, but the surfaces are different as well. But there are certain disadvantages a barefoot runner faces that a shod runner does not, and at the same time, there are disadvantages that a shod runner faces that a barefoot runner does not. I tend to think of shod running and barefoot running as two different sports, just like roller skating and ice skating are two different sports. I would not expect a roller skater to skate on hardwoods as fast as an ice skater could skate on ice, or for that matter, expect an ice skater to skate on hardwoods or a roller skater to skate on ice. No one is saying one is better than the other, just different. Trail running and road running are different sports (because the terrain is different), which bring different challenges to the runner. Marketing to trail runners is a lot different than marketing to road runners, the shoes are different, the venue is different, the ability of the athlete is different. Not one is better than the other, again, just different. It's the same for motorcycle sports; some ride on dirt with dirt bikes, some ride on asphalt with road bikes. They are different sports. Water skiiing on skis and barefoot water skiing (which is really growing lately) are two different sports and are judged separately. Technical gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics are two different sports and are judged differently. I could go on and on. Not one is better than the other, just different. I would also like to point out that there are Clydesdale and Athena divisions for a reason. These are the heavier set runners, and historically, they don't place well when put in competition with the leaner runners. We have age divisions. Again, historically, the older we get, the slower we get. We have gender divisions. Everyone knows that most men are faster than most women. We have elite divisions. Yes, reputable events allow the elites to go ahead of the rest of us. I don't hear anyone complaining about these divisions. Mention a barefoot runners division, and boy, do people start jumping out of the woodwork. Now of course if you are a barefoot runner, and you don't want to register for a barefoot runner divisioned race, you don't have to. You can still stay in the weight, age, gender, and elite divisions. I can totally respect your viewpoint, although it is not of my own. This is the way I see it. Again, one's not better than the other, just different.

ok. that's what i was looking

ok. that's what i was looking for. a good reason why to have a bf division. i could not think of one myself so i asked for other's opinions.

now if we could just get some divisions for biggest idiot i think i'd be in the running! ;-) that way i could medal since i won't be beating Joshh or paraganek for a while.

Mike

So you like my response? 

So you like my response? Yeah! It's a good one isn't it?

Thank you.  It's something I

Thank you. It's something I have been thinking about for a long, long time, so when I had a chance to talk to a friend about it, I was sure to keep it stashed for a later time.

I don't get why people get so upset about the idea of a barefoot runner division. I think they're the ones with the hang-ups, not us.

Please feel free to borrow it all you want.

I tried a Clydesdale division

I tried a Clydesdale division once... Those dudes were hella-fast! They made the guys in my age bracket look slow! I would have been a middle packer in age, but I was dead last in the Clydesdales!

I'm kind of torn on the subject though: I like people to see that running barefoot is just as good as running in shoes, so competing with shoddies makes sense (especially after meeting a guy who runs sub-40 minute 10k's barefoot). I totally understand having a BF division too though, so either way is fine with me I guess. :p

But with a BFR division, you

But with a BFR division, you still run against the whole field, the age divisioned, the gender divisioned, the weight divisioned, and the elites.

Barefoot running is not for

Barefoot running is not for everone, but there are many people that would either like to try it or benefit from it IF they knew that it was a real alternative. Despite all of the reports we've read, the average person still does'nt believe it is possible.

The more visible we are, the more we help those folks.

A barefoot division increases our visibility, and ends up increasing our numbers, which of course increases our visibility even more.

Not as a handicap, but in the interest of displaying the barefoot option to the people who could benefit from it we should strongly support a barefoot division.

I have probably set up more

I have probably set up more barefoot divisions than anyone else in the world. Not bragging, just telling those that I believe in barefoot divisions so much, that nearly every other race I have put up on the BRS websites has a bf division.

Like TJ said, it is brining together barefoot runners just like this forum and the BRS.

I have coined the term that having a barefoot division is like a barefoot race within a race. There are so few bf runners that it is a risk to have them enter a bf only race so having a race promoting barefoot running with a bf division is a good alternative.

This promoting is on the race websites with links and logos to the BRS. It further promotes and validates bf running and will encourage and/or introduce others to bf running. The awards presentation also promotes it. It is free press to the BRS and barefoot running. Putting a dollar value to the newspaper exposure mentioning the BRS and educating the uninformed public is a slow way to show the non-believers that we are for real. We also show that we can educate and help those that may have never heard of the benefits by seeing us in the paper. It has been the creation of barefoot divisions that has lead to 2 separate race coverages in a local newspaper. The more "they" hear, the more it gets people thinking. This is a dream as 15 years ago, this was unheard of and I am glad to see positive support.

Barefoot Divisions have lead to these articles and the good promotion of barefoot running. The idea of a barefoot division is more than just the race, it is the promotion of brs, promotion of bf running and the marketing of the sport to the uninformed or the barefoot runners who have not heard of us and may want to join in with us. They could be the next person on this forum or next to you at a race or at a workshop which is what the brs is all about.

http://www.newburyportnews.com/sports/x2057655181/Flesh-on-pavement

http://www.newburyportnews.com/sports/x709154630/Barefoot-runners-make-presence-felt-at-5K

http://www.newburyportnews.com/local/x906054498/Salisbury-Beach-lifeguards-host-beach-run-on-Saturday

Barefoot runners are technical runners who can spend 3 years or so until they feel really good about their form. They also had to put and may continually put up with a lot of naysayers and disbelievers. For some the physical aspects may be easier than society's ignorance of barefoot running. For those of you that get this, you should be rewarded if you so choose to.

Preston

ok. more good reasons. keep

ok. more good reasons. keep them coming people. that's what i want to hear. not only to convince me but so i can explain it with conviction to others. i don't want to just say because it sounds good to me or what ever. so more input is appreciated.

thanks,

Mike

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon