Sea Pines dropping seeds, ouch.

Trig Man

Barefooters
Oct 4, 2012
The running path that I use (I live in Saipan) is shaded with Ironwood (or Sea Pines, or Casuarina) trees. They are great most of the year, but right now the are dropping their seeds. The path directly below the trees are covered with them. They are about the size of a marble and sometimes cling to my sole so I need to stop to brush them off. I attached a photo to give you an idea. Here is my question, can I actually condition my feet to take the punishment these things give? What do you think?
Thanks800px-Casuarina_equisetifolia_fruits.jpg

Reactions: Sid
No kidding, there are some trees in my neighborhood that drop seed pods similar
to those also, I came down on one once but the reaction times are quick and it was
in the arch area so not too bad, its even worse now because lots of leaves have fallen
and hidden the damn things from view :( I tend to just move onto the asphalt and
go around them for the time being. I can't see anyone ever getting to the point that
coming down on an object this big is not something to be avoided :p

Reactions: Trig Man and NickW
Reactions: Trig Man
Hey Trig Man - I live in Bermuda - and we have casuarinas too. I have about a 200 yard stretch of casuarinas that I run along an old railway trail. I know exactly what you are talking about! They are producing lots of berries now too. When one or two of those little suckers stick to the bottom of the foot and you pound 'em in for a few footsteps - it can certainly get your attention. The good thing is that does get better with time. I had a couple stick this week - and it is not anywhere as painful as it used to be. So keep going - it will ease off - never go away completely - but will ease off. I have BF'ing for just over 2 years.

I live in a temperate area, near Philadelphia, and while we don't see Sea Pines, we do have Acorns of various descriptions, Hickory nuts,Walnuts, Sweet gum balls and regular Pine cones. I think Paraganek is right. I find myself noticing them less and less as I get used to BF running. They can still hurt if they hit just the wrong spot, but I just don't worry about it so much.

Saipan. Wow!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7