Running Room update

Horseman42

Chapter Presidents
Sep 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario
Just an update on my continuing saga with the running room....

A recap first. The running room is a running store mostly in Canada and some parts of the USA. They also teach running clinics anywhere from the 5km clinic, to the marathon clinic. I’ve had the pleasure of being the clinic instructor in years past for the 10km, triathlon, and marathon clinics. I’ve also done some pacing at least twice to my recollection for the half marathon clinic. My point is I’ve have experience running clinics, although not for a while the last one I taught was 2005. I started barefoot running last year due to a chronic achillies tendonistis injury I have. The barefoot running actually makes my tendon fell better after running.

Anyhow I approached the running room last fall about teaching a barefoot clinic come the spring and got told flat out “no”. The running room doesn’t sell minimalist shoes, or endorse barefoot running. Although I would like to see their policy change it’s their choice what they want to sell or teach in their stores. Anyhow it puts me in a unique position as I have a history with the Running Room, both instructing and running with the athletes who frequent the store (who are anti-barefoot), and my own personal beliefs about running in general, that have changed over the past year.

Ever since January of this year I’ve been receiving emails from them from time to time advertising for clinic instructors or pacers for the various clinics they hold. I’ve often responded that I was interested in teaching again and gave a quick background of my experience. Most often I would not receive any sort of response by them. Finally after asking several times in the past I get an email from the regional manager stating that he wanted to talk with me at the store. After arriving at the store approximately 30 minutes before they opened the manager shows up and locks both me, him and the store manager in the store, and proceeds to give a speech. Essentially he told me I was unable to teach or even be a pacer because of “conflict of interest”. Just a few days before I started a barefoot clinic at my gym. At first I was unsure if it would be popular, or have anyone turn out, so I was still looking into being a pacer. I got one person to sign up with the possibility of another, so in effect 2 people. Of course I asked them where they were teaching their barefoot clinic. And they stated it didn’t matter because I was teaching running. They tried argue that I was “stepping out on my own”, but in effect what they did was to push me out and then when I asked to come back in declined to let me and blamed the reason on me for it.

When I was just about to leave the store the district manager started to rant about how people like me (I’m assuming bare foot runners) only advocated for one type of “shoe” while he has a whole shelf to offer people. I just commented that I’m only advocating that people learn to run in their own two feet and then look at what shoes they may need afterwards. He had no response to this, I completely shut his argument down before he started.

Interestingly enough he didn’t say I couldn’t come out to run on their open run days, and I told him I may take him up on the offer. I also may even consider signing up for a clinic in the future, I’m assuming that would be ok if I’m giving the running room money. It may be interesting to see them squirm when they do the shoe talk, or when they attempt to teach “proper running biomechanics” with me in the crowd. I'm sure to have lots of comments and questions.

Very interesting.  Keep us

Very interesting. Keep us advised, as I'm sure this will get more interesting. I like your persistence. Keep at it. Times are a changin', and you have a hand (or foot) in that.

I was involved in a marathon

I was involved in a marathon clinic last year with the Running Room when I was moving towards barefoot running. It was very interesting going from a 10 year old pair of running shoes (which they were constantly telling me I should look at a new pair of shoes), to a pair of cheap watershoes, to a pair of Vibrams to barefoot. They never looked at me while they were doing their 'promoting of products' for overpronaters, etc. They made it as uncomfortable for me as possible while in the stores and to some degree on the training runs (depending which group I was with). I felt like I was being shunned, and all I wanted to do was run. I haven't stepped a foot into one of their stores since last year except to pick up a race kit (which I do barefoot). I will not buy their products, and I do what ever I can to stop people from shopping there and have them support the small independant running stores that promote running in whatever form you choose.

That's a shame, Bob.  Seems

That's a shame, Bob. Seems like they care more about what we put on our feet than actually promoting running, via their clinics. At least you have other BRS members you can lean on.

Bob, I agree I felt a little

Bob, I agree I felt a little like they didn't want me there when I came out to their training runs. Interestingly enough some of the participants thought it was kinda cool, but management was almost hostile to the idea. I don't really advocate in buying anything in the store or supporting them either I only thought that by joining a clinic it may force them to realize that there are runners out there who don't want to wear shoes, and to also advocate for barefoot running.

Unfortunately it's not likely to change until it starts to hurt them in the pocketbook. Something that's already starting to happen. I hear some Running room stores are having at least one person every day come in and ask them if they have the Vibram five finger shoes. While some other stores (not running room) I hear that actually sell the Vibram are selling 20 pairs a day!

When I ran with them in the fall many of the runners never heard of barefoot running or the book born to run, or the importance of running biomechanics. It's truely a sad state of afairs.

Sorry, too, to hear about

Sorry, too, to hear about your experiences.

From a purely commercial point of view, this company is being pretty stupid.

Fact 1: the number of people who run barefoot will remain small. It's just too much of a change for most people.

Fact 2: the market for minimalist shoes will continue to grow. Even many barefooters have some circumstances where they need a shoe.

Fact 3: the barefoot/minimalist wave will roll regardless of what they do. So, they have a simple choice: sell minimalist shoes, too, or lose out on that share of the market. It will make their selling complicated as they try to inform their customers about the advantages of the latest Anti-Pronating Special from AsNikiDas and their minimalist shoes.

There are surely a few dollars to be made in running clinics. But, this needs to be independent of selling shoes.

In my view, the conflict of interest is on their side. They are conducting clinics, whose major purpose appears to be selling more shoes. That is a borderline business practice, if you ask me.

Looks like you might need to set up your own clinics.

Cheers

Paleo

Paleo, I have set up my own

Paleo, I have set up my own clinic. The frustrating part is they are selling misinformation to new runners, and possibly setting them up for a chronic injury later on. Not to mention the level of discrimination to barefoot runners who frequent their stores.

I'm seriously concidering signing up this summer for the half marathon clinic. I wonder how they would handle it?

The Running Room is going to

The Running Room is going to get hit hard in the coming year. Canada is about six months behind the US in minialist shoe sales. Here in the US, sales of minimalist shoes constitute 7% of the multisport market with most of that growth coming in the last three months. It will be over 10% by the end of summer. It is VERY quickly replacing sales of non-minimalist shoes. Various things occuring within the industry will hasten the shift towards minimalism. They will be forced to either buy into the movement or be surpassed by competitors.

Based on their Luddite stance, I'd start dumping The Running Room's stock.
wink_smile.gif

Horseman, thanks for all your

Horseman, thanks for all your work. I know you've been working on this a while.

I'm curious why you're working so hard on this chain. Is there a reason that the Running Room is an especially important venue for education? Why not just do your own clinics, as you've clearly got the experience?

It kind of sounds like you're the mad temperance worker heading right into the saloon. :) Daring work, to be sure, but punishing.

Jason, I agree with you it

Jason, I agree with you it seams Canada is behind the times when it comes to barefoot and minimalist shoe sales. It likely won't be until next year until we see some sort of major change around here.

stomper, I just think the change would be perhaps better served from both teaching my own clinics and learning to integrate within the Running Room community, and run clubs in the area. Not only that but because of my unique background I have friends, and people I know who are part of the running room, that I personally taught to run in regular shoes so it becomes a bit of an emotional issue as well. We need to make sure like Jason says to be friendly and aproachable, and not to get into the position that it's us vs. them.

Over and above this I can be very confrontational on certain issues when I believe I'm right, (like shoe preference and religion) and there's discrimination that occuring.

I've found a lot of the

I've found a lot of the stores that rejected me in the past are now seeking out my advice. It was easy to dismiss the barefoot/minimalist shoe market when it was a tiny part of the overall market. The sudden (but not surprising) growth has left some of the dejectors clammoring to catch up.

Just keep doing what you're doing. At some point, RR will come around. Or the running sotre that replaces them when they go out of business will be more receptive.

regular_smile.gif

That's right.  Keep at it. 

That's right. Keep at it. Standing alone, we are weak; standing together we are strong, and apparently, the shoe companies (therefore shoe stores) are starting to feel our strength.

Frankly, I would cut my

Frankly, I would cut my losses with them and focus positively on creating cool clinics that are welcoming even to those still wearing AsNikiDas. Remember always to think of your interest (and that of those you love), but not your position (i.e. the stance you have adopted up to now). If they won't work with you, find others who will.

I will bet money that if you ignore them and do your own cool clinics, they will be courting you back within 6-12 months time. This will occur because they will have finally recognized that they have a business interest in minimalist shoes, and because they will see that you are successful as a barefoot trainer, one who is open-minded enough to train the traditionally shod.

Then you can smile an inner smile of victory, and graciously give them a few moments of your time for trainings.

Best of luck,

Paleo

Making nice with them as a

Making nice with them as a strategy and a philosophy is a winning course for you. No matter what happens, if you come across as happy and a promoter of the joy of running, not a nutnik or grump, you'll be way ahead if / when they see the light.

Meanwhile, everybody should make a point of stopping by a RR as often as possible and asking about VFFs or some other Min shoes. Make'm feel it!

That's a bummer of an

That's a bummer of an experience. I got lucky as our local running store seems to have embraced minimalist shoes a bit (they carry 3-4 different brands in several models) and have good form running clinics every couple weeks. The guy in charge over there was real cool when I told him I was a barefoot runner and has seemed pretty supportive. Nice people in there!

Just goes to show that for every nice place like I have, there is a stinker like the one you dealt with.

Thanks for everyone for their

Thanks for everyone for their advice. I'll take it under concideration in the days ahead. I suppose it's a little harder being in Canada where everyone from my community is running in regular shoes, and so few are running barefoot, or minimalist. In either case, whether or not I choose to sign up to the clinic I'll let you all know of my experiences.

Thanks for the support.

Alright everyone I signed up

Alright everyone I signed up for the 1/2 marathon clinic, at the running room...

Suprisingly I wasn't kicked out, and they seem to be tolerating the fact I'm running barefoot. Some of the other runners have had questions, and comments which I've welcomed.

On the first day the instructor asked for ideas on topics to discuss. Naturally I suggested BF running and sent the clinic leader an email as many people are curious about what I'm doing. The instructor (or it could be the regional manager) will not allow for a BF talk in the clinic. They keep saying it's because there's no research to support it. Interestingly enough as we all know there's no research to support shod running either, yet they are willing to support that. Of course I suppose I should be happy enough that they allowed me to participate, and I can at least talk to the other runners who seem interested on an individual basis. There will be lots of time for discussion when we start doing our long runs...

I may also give out some free ebook copies of Jason Robillard's book (if he lets me). Of course this may lead to me getting kicked out of the clinic so I may consider it perhaps after the clinic is done or nearly done....

Baby steps.

Baby steps.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts