Ow! An old tissue issue

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I came up lame for the first time in many moons yesterday for no clear reason except for an old war wound. Well, idiot tree guy wound. In 1987 I ran a chain saw through my left thigh and it took 110 sutures to pull it together. Bonehead, yes.

I've never had any particular problems with it since, beyond an occasional twinge, even though my whole tricep and quad set looks lumpy and ugly with a horizontal curf through the middle.

I woke up yesterday morning just aching and unable to walk normally, especially down stairs or any incline. I could actually run up stairs pretty much fine. My guess is that I've built a lot of muscle mass and that the adhesions and constrictions of old scar tissue just let loose.

After spending a while with a bottle of warm water as a deep tissue massage instrument, really working the sore spots, I slept on it, and feel just about fine this AM. I'll give it another session of massage later today and hope for the best.

Before reading the good info here from fellow runners and some of our excellent PT contributors I would probably have freaked out or tried to stretch the offending parts into submission. Thanks you all, out there.

So you're the guy.  I've

So you're the guy. I've always wondered about guys like you who do stuff like that. OUCHIE MOMMA!

Not everyone is "cut" out to

Not everyone is "cut" out to be a logger.
regular_smile.gif

Heeheeheeheehee!

Heeheeheeheehee!

Strange, but I had exactly

Strange, but I had exactly one day of feeling like I'd been beaten with a hammer on the left thigh. It seems about 95% fine now and I had a 1st class run today with pretty steep hills in both paved and trail flavors. Not a flinch! OK by me!