My Hardest Race Ever

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I ran the Quadzilla 15K Trail Race this AM. It's put on by the Lehigh Valley Road Runners. Apparently they branch out to do trail stuff, too. It was in the rolling hills north of Allentown, PA, and was way more brutal than I ever imagined. I just never thought people would set up a course with 6 or 7 (I lost count) long hills that went 30 to 45 degrees, up and down. I've got too trusting a nature, I guess.

I ran it in my VFFs and was very glad I did. There were long streches of crushed stone in the 1" range and a stretch of 4 to 6" stuff. Worse for BF would have been the regular shale stretches of the up and downs. They would have sliced, I think. As it was, the limiting factor wasn't my feet, it was the rest of me. I could hardly walk up the damn hills toward the end.

I did see one other guy who ran in VFFs, and he looked cool and happy. He said he ran there regularly. Nuts, I think.

I posted a review in the Race Review Section, but wanted to put something here, too, where more of you might see it.

Bottom line: I finished! 1:49 or so. 142 out of about 400 runners.

Congrats!  That's still an

Congrats! That's still an excellent time considering all those hills.

Official results:- 142 out

Official results:

- 142 out of 278 finishers and 350 signed up;

- 10th out of 21 in my age group (50 - 59)

- 1 of 2 in VFFs and none BF

- 1:48:50 for 9.3 miles = 11:40 per mile

...which means I was running really well when I was running because I felt like I did a LOT of walking. The race ended with about a 500 yard gentle downhill meadow for which I was able to muster a nice bit of spin and actually passed a few people.

Nice Joseph! Hills are

Nice Joseph! Hills are brutal, and my new favorite thing since my barefeet don't like the trails anymore. We've got some pukers in my neighborhood!

Pukers!  Ha!

Pukers! Ha!

Yah - pukers.  So steep I

Yah - pukers. So steep I hurt my neck trying to see the top. The other side so steep I asked a lady if she'd hold my hand on the way down so I could close my eyes.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon