My first 5 mile adventure.....by accident, I swear!

Barefoot Mary

Barefooters
Jul 27, 2010
Denver, CO
So yesterday I was going for a pleasent 3 mile barefoot run, exploring my new Colorado neighborhood. Lovely day. Couldn't stay inside. I drew up a route on mapmyrun.com and intended to follow it.

Unfortunately, I took a wrong turn in a park and ended up running 5 miles barefoot and walking (barefoot) 2 miles home. AGH!!! I got lost barefoot! Which is a lot different than getting lost shod!

It was pretty fun though! By the end my back and knees felt better than when I've run 5 miles previously shod. I walked under the freeway twice, which is a gutsy adventure becuase there's a lot of glass shards about. My feet really ignored the terrain like pros tho :)

Surprisingly, my soles aren't torn up at all! Just tender. Tender tender tender. And my feet feel great...after vigorus icing. At least, they aren't dead. I'm really surprised I didn't break anything. The calves are fine but I'm sure they'll flame up tonight. It seems to take 24 hours for my muscles to wake up and tell me that that I suck.

I'm gonna wear the most cushy foot coffins I can find at work today.

So that's my adventure.

Anyone else ever gotten lost on a barefoot run?

Also...I ran around a lake and stepped right in goose poop. That made me laugh. A lot.

I never go completely lost

I never go completely lost but I followed unplanned route. Now I alway tuck my sandals in my shorts just in case. apait of old solks would work too.

Congratulations for your 5 miles milestone!

Well, congrats on your

Well, congrats on your unplanned distance PR.

Wouldn't that be a 7 mile

Wouldn't that be a 7 mile long "haul?" This is one of those adventures you will always treasure.

Yeah, it definitely is going

Yeah, it definitely is going to be a good memory...! I guess it was 7 miles total but really only 5 miles running.

I'll have to remember to pack some kind of footwear next time I'm feeling ambitious and curious! It's been 2 days since and my soles are smooth and happy. Only my left foot is still complaining but with more ice it will heal quick methinks. :)

I've stuffed socks in my bra

I've stuffed socks in my bra before on those runs I felt if I needed something, I would be covered. Yea, I got the looks, but hey!

My very second run last May,

My very second run last May, BF on a trail near my house, I ended up doing 3.5 to 4 miles when I'd intended to do only 2. I had to walk the last quarter mile on crushed stone, too. Ugh! I'd forgotten that one. No permanent harm done, just really uncomfortable on the feet.