Music and Running

I'm a non music runner, probably because I've been running long before there was portable music. I don't like people wearing headphones in public spaces, it's a selfish attitude that says don't talk to me. Listen to them at home all you like. It is irritating when you are running up behind people with earphones in and they can't hear you so you have to scare the s**t out of them. I enjoy running and I don't need music to get through a workout. Even my local gym has become a cacophony of noise where once they were quiet. On a recent visit they had piped music up loud and also a DJ blasting out music at the same time and bloody disco lights, I felt like going up and smashing them and unplugging the stupid system. These people obviously have no idea about concentration during exercise and listening to the body, obviously distraction is the main theme.

Neil

I'm a non music runner, probably because I've been running long before there was portable music. I don't like people wearing headphones in public spaces, it's a selfish attitude that says don't talk to me. Listen to them at home all you like. It is irritating when you are running up behind people with earphones in and they can't hear you...

Sound like you have very selfish attitude.

I'm quite social during social time. But I live in an area that has too many people and if I didn't learn how to be alone in a crowd I would have gone absolutely insane by now. As it is I have to be on a schedule that involves me waking up at 2am and sleeping during the times when normal people are awake in order to try and avoid the crowds. Listening to headphones and only paying enough attention to keep from running into people is the only way to survive when you are a natural loner in a place like this. It isn't about selfishness its about sanity. Human beings need alone time. Sometimes this has to come during running. So long as they are conscious enough of people around them enough not to run into people I don't see any problem with it. I can still nod, smile and say good morning with headphones in and so do a most of the other people with headphones in. Yes it does say "don't have a large conversation with me" but guess what, random people on the street aren't going to do that anyway.

Unless I am at a park, I rarely ever come across another person anyhow. And those few times I've passed locals out walking or whatever, I've never been able to get anything more than a "hi" or "good morning" out of, whether I am wearing headphones or not. If I do have the tunes on while running, its usually quiet enough I can carry a conversation as is, although silencing them is one button press away.

I did get to jog yesterday along the shore or lake erie, with the sound of the waves crashing into the rocky shoreline it was quite nice. I'd rarely listen to music if all my runs were like that.

I don't think so, what happened to social interaction? Once upon a time people would greet each other, now they do their best to ignore each other. That is sad.

Neil
I think that has more to do with ones personality and a whole lot less to do whether or not your listening to music.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon