Music and Running

I find music to be such a distraction when I run. I'd rather tune into the run than the music.

Reactions: jldeleon
Well, I think that that was bad article, reasons to ditch music were not really related to music.. Focusing on breathing, form, sounds of running is not too easy and it kind of makes running more of an effort. Not really a good idea, keep running as enjoyable as possible and you are more motivated to run which means that you run more and that means that you get better at running more efficiently than with that boring focusing stuff. And focusing on technique and changing it can be counter productive as well, if you are misguided what's optimal form. BTW, singing while running is very efficient way to learn right breathing, since singers use that thing.

I don't usually run with music, since it distracts natural flow of running. But if you can enjoy music while running, it's probably a good thing. I listen to music almost all the time when I'm not running. Focusing on breathing, form and technique also distract natural flow of running, so I would focus on stuff only if there's something wrong with my form, technique or breathing. Just lack of efficiency is not really a good reason to change nice relaxed runs into effort of mind.

Use of mental toughness is not efficient. It's many times more efficient to be more motivated than trying forcing yourself with your mental toughness.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Whatever works. The key to consistent exercise is that it's doable and enjoyable. If music helps get you there, go with it. I used to listen to music while running ten years ago, now I listen to my fieldwork data, but sometimes, especially early spring, it is nice to just focus on the sounds around you.

I like music while running as well as being able to hear what's going on around me. I run using the external speaker on my Iphone and not the headphones. Typically no one's ever near me for more than a few seconds so I don't worry about annoying others much with it. If I'm running with others I just don't listen to music at all, helps facilitate me talking and my deaf butt hearing the other person talk back to me.

Music drowns out the voices in my head, since I'm pretty good friends with the voices I don't listen to music.

I'm with the quiet crowd. Running is a meditative respite for me, and I am entirely too happy moving my attention from breathing to posture to footfall to surroundings to internal status to hand position to that handsome female approaching on the trail to the changing temp of the pavement under my feet to the bird calls overhead to breathing, and so on. Music playing in my ears would drive me nuts!

hmm I dunno, I've run without music a few times, but usually I do have it because I'm using headphones anyway for the E25K app. I may try it again next time and just not use the music.

I usually do not run with music, I would rather surround myself with all the sounds that occur naturally during the run, the birds singing, the swaying of the trees, the pitter patter of my feet as they glide over the ground, the clomping of the shoad runners as they pass by in agony (just kidding, nobody wants to hear that). This is my bliss.
I will say though there are occasions when I do plug the ipod in when I want to go for a run and do not want to talk to anyone, but I usually just plug one ear and just pretend that I can't hear anything.

I usually do not run with music, I would rather surround myself with all the sounds that occur naturally during the run, the birds singing, the swaying of the trees, the pitter patter of my feet as they glide over the ground, the clomping of the shoad runners as they pass by in agony (just kidding, nobody wants to hear that). This is my bliss.
I will say though there are occasions when I do plug the ipod in when I want to go for a run and do not want to talk to anyone, but I usually just plug one ear and just pretend that I can't hear anything.

It's funny what you said about the "clomping sound" of the shod runners because that sound actually makes me cringe and feel really uncomfortable when I hear it.

I completely agree, it sounds like a herd of cattle coming up on me from behind. I just think, ouch, ouch oh the pain and agony.

Music drowns out the voices in my head, since I'm pretty good friends with the voices I don't listen to music.

I manage to get sick of even my best friends. I figure if I can't ditch the ones inside my head perhaps I can drone them out with loud music.

I can't stand running without music unless I'm with a friend who I'm talking to. I need entertainment in some form or another.

I do both... Music definitely mutes some audible feedback I rely on to gauge how softly I'm landing and it's a safety concern but I'm not militant about it. It's the only time I get to listen to music I like. I run faster and go farther when I listen to music and I do it every 1-2 weeks.

Depends on the run for me. I do enjoy listening to music and it motivates and inspires me. When I am solo I typically will listen to music. I also usually run a metronome app set a little quieter than the music at the same time to try and keep my cadence up. When I am with someone I dont listen to music so we can chat, and often leave my phone in my truck, as she has a phone for emergencies anyhow, and well my touchscreen has a habit of accidental dialing or picking up calls right away - wouldnt want it to dial or pick up a call from my wife when I was chatting it up with my girlfriend! :eek:
You could say I am a nature lover though, and I'd rather listen to the sounds of nature, but if I'm just running down the road from my house - even though its rural here - it still isnt much nature that I take the headphones off. If I were on a trail I'd go headphone-less but I really havent graduated to trails yet. Night jogging on the road though I never listen to music, I like to hear cars from as far away as possible. Unfortunately none of the parks I go to are open after dark so I have to run with 55mph traffic on a narrow country road.

I was running by a lady who had on VFFs in my last race and she was heal striking and thumping along as loud as the shoddies. OMG! I had to get out of earshot of her as fast as I could. Unbelievable!

I was running by a lady who had on VFFs in my last race and she was heal striking and thumping along as loud as the shoddies. OMG! I had to get out of earshot of her as fast as I could. Unbelievable!
funny how aware running makes you.....just as the things you love and enjoy are that much more amazing while on a serene run, things that bother you can have the same augmented intensity as well.

I agree that article is not the greatest…

For me, use of the iProduct depends on the length of my run…I’m typically good for up to 8 miles…after that, I start to get bored (even the voices in my head get a little repetitious: “Kill the mailman, kill the mailman, kill the mailman” and I’m thinking “All right already! I make a note on the calendar to kill Jorge next Tuesday, I swear, now just let me get back to my run, dammit!”

Hmm…sort of overshared, there…anyway, I also use the music as a motivator and pace setter, thus I need to pick and choose the order of songs on the playlist so I don’t burn myself out. I like to run with both earpieces in, but I use those “athletic” earphones that allow ambient noise to get in – don’t like to get too tuned out of my surroundings.

As for form and breathing and whatnot – all important, agreed. However, the reason why I took up running is because I can go and not have to think (or, rather, think about the things I want to think about, instead of “This is me breathing”.)

RP

Reactions: Bare Lee
I'm with the meditative approach of non-music running. I gave up music a little over a year ago when I read an article on 'running meditation' or some such in a running magazine. I was struggling as a runner, and the idea of focusing on running, rather than distracting myself with music, would help me improve was intriguing, so I tried it. Turns out it worked for me, so I have run music free (one recent run excepted, just to see if i liked it. i didn't) since. I especially love trail runs without music. SUPER peaceful for me. After a week full of fifth graders, I am craving a run in the woods...

Reactions: Zetti

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts