Muscle build up

chrisdonkey

Barefooters
Aug 26, 2011
Well Folks,

Any advice on exercises barefoot running novices should try in order to build up the correct muscles?

Are is it best just running?

Thanks!

I'm not an expert but for a

I'm not an expert but for a while I prefered to stick to running. I would have been afraid to work the wrong muscle, create imbalance and end up with an injury.

Recently I started some short exercices to try to get rid of IT band problem and others to work on a runnign form closer to Pose running. It's maybe 10 min a day without weight so I feel pretty safe.

If you're new to running barefoot I think just running is safer. It doesn't take long to build those muscles and if you run properly you don't use too much energy/muscle power anyway.

Good luck!

I'd add that in addition to

I'd add that in addition to running, being barefoot during your daily activities will go a long way to strengthening the necessary muscles for barefoot running. I do everything I can barefoot or in minimal shoes. I credit that to my quick transition.

I especially recommend barefoot walking.

Michael Sandler's book has

Michael Sandler's book has some good exercises in it. Here's a link. Stuff like scrunching up a towel with only your toes. Picking up small objects (this works great if you have small children by the way). Of course, just going barefoot as much as possible. There are some other exercises that I can't think of right now. It's a good book.

Jimmy gave us some good ones

Jimmy gave us some good ones at the clinic last weekend.

1) Calf raises in various positions, straight, toes in, toes out.

2) towel pull: Put a towel on the ground, step on the end of it and curl your toes under, dragging the towel under your foot and repeat. Works the arch, toes, etc.

3) towel pick up: This time, pick up the towel with your toes and lift it up and drop it.

I'm not sure on how many repetitions...

Barefoot walks are good too. Walking uses different muscles than running, but still strengthens the feet, especially if you walk like you are going to run...a flat footed stride.

I've also seen foot, ancle and calf exercises for dancers on Youtube that included these as well as walking on the insides, outsides of the feet, up on the toes, on the heels with toes flexed up, duck walk and pigeon toe walk. Doing the alphabet in the air with your big toe, is a good one, too.

-Jonny

Dr. Mark has put some very

Dr. Mark has put some very specific, well explained foot and calf excercise videos up lately. Track them down and you'll likely find them useful. He's also put out some excellent posture videos out. Just super stuff! If you have any trouble nfinding them, I'm sure TJ will be able to point you right.

Thanks folks Ill maybe keep

Thanks folks

Ill maybe keep to the running for another few months and then search out some of them videos. Up to doin a mile barefoot round a local rugby picth. Not a lot, but getting there.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7