Modern day Persistence Hunting

Shacky

Barefooters
Jun 2, 2010
Saw this on Mark's Daily Apple and got a good chuckle from it. I so want to try this some day.

Next time your stomach rumbles for a little physical exertion, venture out to the local park or track. Any spot where people will be jogging will work. You could even hit up a trail, as long as you’re sure there’ll be joggers. (I did this once in the back of a 10k race). Strap on your shoes (or don’t), wear something comfortable (or wear as little as possible), and survey the area. It’s now sacred hunting ground. You are the hunter; you can have your pick of the lot.[/b]

Regard your prey. Pick a jogger, any jogger, and let him or her gain some distance on you. A few dozen yards, perhaps. Now, walk after your target.[/b]

Keep your eye on the target, but let it gain ground on you. This isn’t a race, remember. It’s a battle of wits, of picking and choosing your spots.

When your target is a few hundred yards ahead, start to jog.[/b] Don’t let it range too far ahead, but don’t over exert yourself. Kiss the ground with a soft stride, making as little noise as possible. If you’re not barefoot, run like you are. You wouldn’t want to tire early and come home empty-handed; you can only subsist on foraged bitter nuts for so long.

Keep that pace for a couple minutes. Now speed up a bit. If you begin to gain ground, stop before you catch up completely.

Now sprint! [/b]Sprint for thirty seconds, and really push it – you might
even be licking at their heels, but do not pass your prey. You’re not ready to finish just yet.

Stop. Let them continue on. Once they’ve turned a corner, passed behind a bend, or otherwise disappeared from sight, continue on. Jog, but jog in fractals. Start, stop, and run in spurts.[/b] For this portion, you aren’t breaking up the hunt into jog/sprint/walk sections; you’re melding them all together on the fly. Sprint for two seconds, stop for three, then jog for ten. Leap over branches, vault over bushes. Hide behind a tree for a second or two. You can even drop to all fours and crawl along the trail for a bit. Get creative.

(By now, it’s obvious that you’re a bit of a nut. You’re going to look a little strange. Are you okay with that? You should be used to it by now.)

Once you catch sight of your target, catch up by any and all means. Sprint if you have to. Just pass them up (no actual hunting, of course) and take a breather. You’ll probably need it.Flop down on the ground, stretch out, because you deserve it. [/b]Keep your wits about you, though, for there’s more prey afoot.

Even as you rest up, start the process of selecting your next target. After all, it’s open season and your tribe is hungry.[/b]

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/persistence-hunting-in-the-park/

I don't think I'd shoot

I don't think I'd shoot anyone over this, but someone stalking me while I'm running might get a face full of dog mace...

My advice to anyone trying this is to make sure you aren't following anyone in a manner that you wouldn't want your mom/sister/child to be followed by a stranger.

Exactly!  You might get maced

Exactly! You might get maced or kicked in the ba...

I played this game during my

I played this game during my run this morning. 5:00am out the door my 7 miler, barefoot of course. 2 miles into the run I am feeling good now and just waking up. About a half mile up I see another runner come out of a side road, game on.

So I start picking up the pace, I notice he had a very solid pace going on as well. I wasn't gaining any significant grounds so I said it's time to go into a sprint. So I did, I was breaking all the textbook running rules of barefoot running, I was full out sprinting, push off, extending my legs, but darn it felt good (btw the feet were fine). I was definitely around a 6:00 pace, or even under that.

Now I am gaining some ground, at about 30 feet I take it down a notch and stay at this distant. We are coming up to a short steep hill, so I said I need to make another move to catch my prey. So I hit another gear. I noticed the hill really started to slow him down, good news for me, hills are a strong point of mine. So I cross the street because I don't want to literally run up behind him (he still has no clue I am following him). I finally pass him, he looks across the street and sees me. I give a "good morning" to him, and he gives one back (i love friendly runners), and he turns off into a side road.

Victory!

A version of this is my

A version of this is my favorite speedwork (although I call it "Catch the Runner"). I go out on a trail where I know there will be many runners lurking. When I see one ahead of me I let them get a good distance ahead of me and then I start running at faster pace that suits me that day.

I run until I almost catch them, but not so close that they notice me (otherwise people tend to freak out a little bit). Then I slow my pace and let them gain ground on me. I repeat when they are the same distance away as when I started.

I like it because it can prepare you for racing a little bit. Gives you better control of your pace when there are runners in front of you.

I wonder what a person would

I wonder what a person would say if you brush past them while patting them on the shoulder and yell "TAG, YOU'RE IT!!!"

Shacky wrote:I wonder what a

Shacky said:
I wonder what a person would say if you brush past them while patting them on the shoulder and yell "TAG, YOU'RE IT!!!"

Ha ha! Definately depends on the person, but you'd probably become their "prey."

Which makes me wonder ... How about playing the game backwards? Go out and find another runner whose pace would challenge you. Pass them, then don't let them catch you. You're the prey running from them. It's still a "survival game", but more desparate - if they catch you, you're "dead meat"!

Maybe less threatening to the other runner, too?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts