Mileage Reporting 45th week of 2012

Reactions: NickW
I know how it goes Lee, you do it in very, very small doses and increase your time on it as you see it feet--I mean fit until you conquer the surface. The type of surfaces really teaches you how to lift the feet.
Oh yah. This last summer I was actively seeking out somewhat harsher surfaces. The post-run tingle was almost orgasmic at times, especially the gravel patches on a nearby trail. I'm enamored of the abrasive quality of our nearby track's sandy gravel as well. Very satisfying. If I continue with my Medium-Fast-Slow run routine, I'll probably reserve the harsher chipseal surfaces for the slow run, while continuing to indulge myself with sandy gravel intervals on the track. I like a variety of surfaces, but for the tempo runs I prefer rather tame ones.
Here's a thread from a bit ago having fun with this topic: http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/t...-can-it-become-too-much-of-a-good-thing.6986/

Maybe it does Dama, not sure. I know the longer I've gone barefoot on mostly urban surfaces, the more sensitive my feet have gotten. They don't ever bother me like this on the trails, except in the few spots of crushed gravel. I try to avoid those if possible. I don't really dig the pain thing. Way back before the PF got really bad I was barefoot nearly all the time, up to half mary distance, and those sections still really really hurt, and felt like they were hurting more each time. I could run on it without any sort of abrasions or anything, it's just the pain of running on it. Kind of reminds me of the meat tenderizer hammer I have.
Maybe you needed to give your feet more time to adapt in-between runs?

Reactions: happysongbird
Dangit had planned to run today but boss took us out to lunch instead. :) but also :(

Wow these mileage threads have really exploded in recent weeks, it seems. Back in the summer they were barely getting to the 2nd page.

Maybe you needed to give your feet more time to adapt in-between runs?
I dunno Lee, maybe. There were lot's of times for a long time there where I only ran every other day, and still had that problem. I also noticed though that it seemed like my feet took a lot longer than most people say for developing toughness. Maybe they are just slow to heal? Not sure.

In any case, my Soft Star Dash Lites came in. Not sure what I think of them yet. I love the ground feel and the way I can walk like when barefoot, at least around the house. The heel is really sloppy in them though and I am going to have to wear socks in them otherwise I will get bad chaffing. My heel moves up and down just a touch and the opening on the heel side does not hug my foot at all. I don't think it will be a deal breaker though. Debating if I am going to wear them to school tonight. They quite honestly might be the greatest running shoes I'll have ever had, but the sloppy fit of the heel is kind of a bummer. I attribute that to me having small ankles and wide feet though probably.

I think I just might be a weenie. ;) I don't like pain so...

Meh, I'm with you for the most part. Some surfaces are not worth it to me to try adapt to. Maybe I could learn to love it, I just don't care that much about being "PURE" to go through the annoyance of working through it. If I'm annoyed, I don't want to run. Rocky/rough surfaces make me annoyed. I tense up. My form gets worse. But mostly, it puts me in a bad mood. Rain, sleet, snow, wind, icing, so far that doesn't bother me that much. Stuff stuck in my feet every minute/rough surfaces do. Everyone has their limits.
I'd rather be a weanie who runs than a crabbie who dreads going out for a run because I haven't "adapted" yet.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Meh, I'm with you for the most part. Some surfaces are not worth it to me to try adapt to. Maybe I could learn to love it, I just don't care that much about being "PURE" to go through the annoyance of working through it. If I'm annoyed, I don't want to run. Rocky/rough surfaces make me annoyed. I tense up. My form gets worse. But mostly, it puts me in a bad mood. Rain, sleet, snow, wind, icing, so far that doesn't bother me that much. Stuff stuck in my feet every minute/rough surfaces do. Everyone has their limits.
I'd rather be a weanie who runs than a crabbie who dreads going out for a run because I haven't "adapted" yet.
Well put Sced.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
21.56 mi cycle commute yesterday.

8.4 mi* run commute today.

*Qualifier: This was broken into three legs: 2.3 from home to the train station, 3.8 from the train station to work, and 2.3 from the train station back home this afternoon...

Lee, you turned the mileage thread into the mileage/pub/mull over your fitness/one stop shopping/all in one thread.
Anyone who just looked at the page numbers would think there are at least 50 people on here posting mega mileage, right? Tee hee hee.
Yah, I hope that's OK. And, as always, feel free to skim or skip my own excessive blathering.

I am happy that enrollment is up. It's fun and motivating to keep track of everyone's different routines/progress. I used to hang out mostly in the barefoot/minimalist forum, but now this is my favorite spot.

I do find it embarrassing though, that since I've joined, I've spent 2/3 of the time talking about being injured. Hopefully that is coming to an end (knock on wood). I just woke up and knee feels fine--still a little something there, but it's not soreness, maybe just a feeling of a little instability. The support and encouragement I've received here throughout this period of multiple setbacks has been very helpful.

Will do my Back strength-training routine today. (There, how's that for keeping it short & sweet?)

Reactions: scedastic and NickW
3.5 this am as usual still tight on the left calf, otherwise ok.
wore my soft star foot bags. They did ok, but do seem to be less groundfeel than my sandals. It was hovering near 20 degrees though, and I wanted warm feet.
Do you have the 2mm sole or the 5mm? I got the 2mm for my Moc3s, and the 5mm for the chocolate RunAmocs. With the 2mm, you'll get really good groundfeel. I like the 5mm sole for when I'm going to be outside not running in the winter, for greater protection over refrozen ice or from the cold over longer periods, like when I'm sledding with the kids.

7 miles barefoot at 57 degrees
mile 1 was a 9 mm
next 6 were average 8:20 mm
I'm happy!
Swam about 30 minutes later.

Awesome mileage and pace! and you should be happy you earned it!

No running today - taking advantage of the low wind today due to high pressure system centered right on top of us (according to weather man :p ) and doing some cycling during lunch. Hoping to run tomorrow.

Do you have the 2mm sole or the 5mm? I got the 2mm for my Moc3s, and the 5mm for the chocolate RunAmocs. With the 2mm, you'll get really good groundfeel. I like the 5mm sole for when I'm going to be outside not running in the winter, for greater protection over refrozen ice or from the cold over longer periods, like when I'm sledding with the kids.

2mm soles, but you know, they've got a layer of something or another inside the shoe, and I think just the having more of a structure makes them feel different than the sandals.
I'm considering ordering the moc3s, just because even though they are also 2mm, they are supposed to have more ground feel than the regular mocs. Also, funny but the suede mocs I have keep my feet almost too warm (and now I've used them down to 18degrees, albeit on short runs), so the ventilation might be nice until things get wet and slushy. My only concern is that like NickW, I have narrow ankles, so slip on shoes with no adjustments usually don't work well with my feet. I love the company though, and the suede mocs I have held up in everything, including rain, sleet, slushy snow this winter, and only show a bit of wear I think because I wore them for walking and everywhere aside from running.

It's just funny b/c last year when I was first transitioning the soft stars felt like nothing on my feet. Now they feel like big thick boots.

Anyhow, sandals alone are ok down to low-mid 30s dry, sandals w/ socks (bought a pair of super thin toe socks) down to mid 20s, then low 20s something more would be nice but not sure I need all that runamoc has to offer. Might want to save those for sledding and stuff, damp conditions, and single digit temps.