Mileage Reporting 45th week of 2012

I hope you know I meant I was saying I would like to run as fast as you, and then mocked my bravado by noting my current hobbled state. I guess that could come off as rather creepy. My bad.

I took it exactly as you meant it Lee, like always I am just giving you sh!t.
And thank you! one of this days I am sure you'll be faster, just hang in there!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Ran 3 miles on trails I haven't been on in a couple months, very inspiring now that its fall.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352157049.577756.jpg
Not to mention a fantastic view at the top of a very steep muddy uphill.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352157091.694255.jpg

I only did one mile barefoot, but this is a very rocky (meaning crushed rock to cover up the mud) trail, and I didn't want to get injured on things I couldn't see under the piles of leaves. It was my fist time barefoot in lots of mud though and it was great fun!

First run in a week, bruised my foot pretty badly last Sunday on a long run and then got sick (I believe from lack of running) so I was raring to get out there tonight. 5km short run in the sleet and snow and -3.

Barefoot Dama said:

I took it exactly as you meant it Lee, like always I am just giving you sh!t.

Yah, figured as much, but you have to be careful with textual mediation. Keep up the good shit-giving.

And thank you! one of this days I am sure you'll be faster, just hang in there!

We'll see, but those times are at least a year away for me. Thanks for the encouragement in any case. You've made amazing progress since your surgery, I must say. As someone who hasn't had to deal with a lot of injuries until recently, it's inspiring for me to see you bounce back so strongly. My frustration is diminishing now that I'm able to run again, but until I can feel my body running comfortably for an hour at 8mm pace of so, I won't be satisfied. I just like the feeling of how my range of motion opens up at that pace and how much smoother and graceful I feel. Of course, anyone seeing me will probably still see a plodding middle-aged man, but I'm happy to let my delusions guide my training.

Anyway, for today's mileage reporting:

My right calf was really tight all day yesterday, and I just couldn't manage to massage it out. I gotta get better about stretching out good right after a run, when my legs are nice and warm. Plus I was tired from having been up since 1 am. So I blew off my weights workout and will do that today, and put off the run until tomorrow. This gives my tight calf another day to unwind, and my left knee another day of rest before I go on my next run. The gods have nodded their approval by blessing us with much-needed rain on my canceled run-day.

I'm wondering why one calf is so much sorer than the other. I wonder if its related to the fact that my foot fall on the right side is always pretty silent, indicated a proper forefoot landing, whereas the left side sometimes is a little thumpy. This could explain the left side's knee tweak. I'm going to try to be a bit more vigilante about my landing form on tomorrow's run and see if this helps. Would be great if I've discovered the cause . . .

3 slow-ish miles for me today plus some hip/back exercises.

Lee, I too have the same thingy going on with the left foot landing a little harder than the right foot but I atribute that to my back issues but it has never cause me any problems though.
I am almost possitive that your knee issues were caused by improper squat technique...:(

7.57 miles today. Guess I had a lot of pizza to burn off. I ran 1.37 in my homemade huaraches and then did 6.2 barefoot. My feet were great, even when I checked them after 5.2 miles of being barefoot. It's always the last mile where the sidewalk is that made to look worn type of sidewalk that bothers me. Slightly wore a thinner spot on my left foot during that last mile. Oh, and my pace today, ya, it was an avg 12 min/mile pace while pushing the stroller over that distance. That's good for me.

3 slow-ish miles for me today plus some hip/back exercises.

Lee, I too have the same thingy going on with the left foot landing a little harder than the right foot but I atribute that to my back issues but it has never cause me any problems though.
I am almost possitive that your knee issues were caused by improper squat technique...:(
Could very well be. As I just got done writing in the Ask Doc forum, I have usually avoided squats for this very reason. Still, I squatted three days prior to the tweak and ran seven miles successfully two days prior to it, just one day after the squats, so I'm not wholly convinced it was just that. Plus I wasn't doing that much weight, as I was just beginning to work squats back into my routine. I think getting out of sitting position from the car and not warming up might have something to do with it too. I'm getting a little tired of thinking about this, but thanks for putting up with my constant jabber. I'm definitely going to avoid squats for a while, and any lateral strain like abductor stuff as well.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of setting my pace alert to 9mm and doing run-walk fartleks over 3-4 miles, see how that feels. Basically run for as long as I can at 9mm pace and then walk and then run again, provided the knee doesn't rebel.

Just had a nice pump with the weights so at least that's going well. My new easy max on the bench is up 20 pounds since the tweak, so the extra focus on ST during this running down-time has had some benefit. Still, nothing beats running.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
7.57 miles today. Guess I had a lot of pizza to burn off. I ran 1.37 in my homemade huaraches and then did 6.2 barefoot. My feet were great, even when I checked them after 5.2 miles of being barefoot. It's always the last mile where the sidewalk is that made to look worn type of sidewalk that bothers me. Slightly wore a thinner spot on my left foot during that last mile. Oh, and my pace today, ya, it was an avg 12 min/mile pace while pushing the stroller over that distance. That's good for me.

Is this your longest run yet? Awesome!

Tomorrow I'm thinking of setting my pace alert to 9mm and doing run-walk fartleks over 3-4 miles, see how that feels. Basically run for as long as I can at 9mm pace and the walk and then run again, provided the knee doesn't rebel. Is this a good idea?

quote]

I'm not sure. Won't really know until I try it. I may just jog down to the hs track, run a mile or two at 9mm, and jog back. At the first sign of niggle, I'll stop, that's for sure. On my last run I felt something just a few blocks before getting home but ran the last bit anyway. That was dumb, the knee felt a bit sore afterwards. I learned that I'm not clear of this thing yet. I've got to continue being hyper cautious, even though the spot is no longer sensitive to the touch.

6.15 miles over lunch. Actually had some idiot hang out his window as he drove by to tell me I was crazy for running with no shoes. All I could think was, you call me crazy, are you planning to stop for that red light, oooppps, guess not. Moron.

Took the dog for a spin around the neighborhood a quick 4 miles enough to hopefully put her to sleep for the night

It's my longest since coming back from the stupid PF. I guess I can't say I am completely over PF, as I still have mild bouts of it, but it is very mild and I really think all the little exercises and stretching I do helps tremendously for it.
I'm starting to do serious stretching again, and I think it helps as much or more as massaging. Despite my constant criticism of it, I think Soc Doc's Bozo campaign was messing with my head, subconsciously keeping me from stretching as much as used to do. Now I'm unapologetically aiming to do the splits again within six months.

Great to hear the stupid PF is passing, hopefully once and for all.

How's the knee niggle?

Reactions: NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7