Mileage Reporting 32nd Week of 2013

Happysongbird - I havent been following along in a while but just based on your comments on the last page, and then seeing what you wrote on profile, looks like you have a tri coming up... Have great luck! And your looking pretty good in your new avatar btw. ;) I can't swim for crap (unless dog paddle counts) so I've ruled out ever doing a tri by myself. Duathalons I've given thought, but when I looked into a few this year I think they all require shoes. :facepalm: Sorry if you've already discussed this but does yours? Also my big fat tired mountain bike might hold me back a little. Really want a nice roadbike but looked at a few and... :greedy:
Thanks! My husband is not a good or comfortable swimmer and he did the triathlon with me last year, and beat me. Mostly, you just have to learn how to relax in the water and regulate your breathing. It's too early in the race to be going all out. Plus, going all out generally shreds swimming form for many swimmers.

I did this same tri last year and I did the run barefoot. Didn't get any flack from any officials. I plan on running barefoot again this year. My feet and form are much better this year, so I don't expect any blisters. I got one small one last year.

I rode a mountain bike for my first tri, 2 years ago. I think it was fine for the first triathlon experience, and I still had fun, but I told my husband that if he wanted us to do more triathlons, I needed a road bike! So many people passed me on the biking portion. He got me one the following Christmas. It is low end, but it is light. But it has taken me over a year to begin to feel comfortable on the lighter frame. It seems like it finally clicked just 2 weeks ago. :)

But I'll be super happy if all I can do is just hit that same time again.
And I am also a worrier before races, but it always works out better if I relax and think about enjoying the run. Somehow that makes me run better!

6 pages in 3 days? you people need a life! how can i make any smart a$$ comments if i can't remember what was on the previous page? damn your making this hard for me but i'm going to try anyhow.

spiderweb, hold your head underwater as long as possible, that should help any breathing issues you have. :p

Laura, see, dammit.

ugh! curse you all!

M-about 3m. easy day.
T-too much stomach pain from parasite cleansing left me too weak to run. barely ate too, so yeah, then you know something is wrong.

DAMMIT! at a hotel and someone just logged on using my ip address. does this mean they have access to everything? all my passwords? bank accounts of $10? i don't want them giving me a bad rep here! when i was in europe i think people hacked my computer because i couldn't log on to my email.

oh reminds me.

i ran bf in Prague and loved it!

Nick, isn't the country where the crazies come from? they only move to the city to be closer to each other.

W-4x5' intervals at high hr. i couldn't quite reach my prescribed hr for the final interval.

Laura, see, dammit.

ugh! curse you all!
I'm not good with innuendo.... the husband of one of my closet friends has given up teasing me, and now tries to counsel others who try. :)

Nick, isn't the country where the crazies come from? they only move to the city to be closer to each other.
It's awesome you got to run there. Hope it was a great run.

I think being so close to everyone with mostly concrete or blacktop and very little natural surfaces around makes people go crazy... I go to the country to decompress and become sane again. Unlike Jen I am not afraid of the woods or being alone in the wilderness. That is where I feel at home. I hate the city with every fiber of my being. I would be happy with never going to the city ever again. The best thing about the city of Portland, all the microbreweries. Otherwise I really despise it.

Prague is not a bad city to run barefoot in. But you should try Copenhagen, I'm telling you, it's even better. But of course, I moved here just some days ago, the weather has been wonderful every day, it's summer vacation... I might reevaluate in January.

For a really bad bfr city, try downtown Rijeka in Croatia. Hardly a square meter of pavement without glass, I managed 4 km before I drew blood. The path on the other coast, however, the so called lungomare, past Opatija, is great.

Ran a mile and a quarter this morning in the Xeros because it was sloppy wet. I'm being cautious about handling wet roads until I feel my soles have toughened a good bit more and I feel more confident that my form is getting better. Maybe it was a good sign that I was running with decent form in them with how the calf muscles had a slight tingle afterwards and I just basically felt less disconnected than last week's run in the Xeros. Still missed that feeling of the bare soles contacting the ground, that's one of the best things about running barefoot on terrain you can handle, your feet just get a really good feeling of stimulation and connection.

Oh, I forgot that last night I dreamed I was running barefoot through a K-Mart and a parking lot and trying to find my wallet. People were staring at this crazy guy running barefoot. Does that count for mileage if you dream it?

Oh, I forgot that last night I dreamed I was running barefoot through a K-Mart and a parking lot and trying to find my wallet. People were staring at this crazy guy running barefoot. Does that count for mileage if you dream it?[/quote]
Only if you were sprinting and out of breath.

No, it wasn't a stressful run in the dream. I was just running easy.

I'm a bit, ermm, intimidated by how it only counts for mileage if I'm sprinting and out of breath in the dream. That only happens when I've got a stressful dream going like something is about to run me over and then of course, that's when you get the dream of trying to run as hard as possible but your legs move as if though in syrup.

Wednesday afternoon
Lower body strength training – good pump, my first full lower body workout since returning to the every-other-day plan (which I’ve attached in case anyone’s interested). I’m keeping the squats low, but pushing the deadlifts a bit. My power cleans want to come up too, but my form gets bad over 125 lbs – I tend to favor my right side, so I may hold back for a while until I’m more balanced. I'd like to get a lot better at power cleans. I think this is probably the best overall free weights exercise for me. It works pretty much everything and I love the explosive power.

After the ST session, I had some time before I had to go pick up the kids, so I did 2.3 miles of hill repeats & ‘sprints’ on Bourne Avenue's steep hill, to make up for my shortened tempo run the day prior. Man, I really love the sprints on the shallow side. I get to open it up and have a proper forefoot landing without having to expend much mental effort, because the section I sprint on is only 300 feet. I get to slow down for my descent down the other, steeper side just as it starts to get hard to sustain the pace, which is around 6mm. Not much of a sprint, I know, but it will have to do.

Thursday morning
5.7 miles / 9.2 km
60 F – perfect running temp

Woke up at 2am something, ick, too early to run. Woke up an hour later. Still too early. Woke up again at 4:20 am after a bad dream about my sink overflowing with cesspool water. Time to get up and run. My two-day string of sleeping in until 6am had come to an end.

I ran a nice 10mm pace, starting out in the pre-dawn darkness, finishing before sunrise at the dawning of a new day. I didn’t bring my headlamp. I noticed on my last few runs during the day that I’ve become more or less impervious to small pebbles and debris (acorns are already making their appearance!), so instead of avoiding them, I decided to embrace them as a barefoot challenge.

Overall, a very pleasant outing--was in 'the zone' most of the way.

Like Mike said, too many comments to comment on -- just, Good job everyone! Very inspiring.

Attachments

• ST-3 -- 13.07.30.pdf
    396.1 KB · Views: 5
Just a follow up, watched the heel pain vids and followed the massage techniques. It offered a little bit of relief. Then I was able to get together with my trigger point expert and she showed me about 6 different points in the calf, ankle and shin. After gspending about 20 minutes digging into them the PF was almost gone. I'd say80% better. So I went for an easy 7 mile trail run and had no issues at all. Odd how stuff like that works like magic occasionally.

Wednesday afternoon
Lower body strength training – good pump, my first full lower body workout since returning to the every-other-day plan (which I’ve attached in case anyone’s interested). I’m keeping the squats low, but pushing the deadlifts a bit. My power cleans want to come up too, but my form gets bad over 125 lbs – I tend to favor my right side, so I may hold back for a while until I’m more balanced. I'd like to get a lot better at power cleans. I think this is probably the best overall free weights exercise for me. It works pretty much everything and I love the explosive power.

That's funny we are kind of falling into the same pattern. I'm also cutting squats back a little and adding in power cleans. I started doing a ladder program for my leg work and am keeping all sets below reps of 3. It seems to help keep my legs fresh for the runs. I'm still on the fence about squats but I am leaning to the view that they are somewhat counter productive for running, at least heavy 1rm squats. I'm going to run with a plan to build up my DL to 2x my BW and keep my squat at 225 till then. See if that helps at all?

I'm also going to start working in weighted step ups to work the quads some and hope they wil help with hill climbing. I'll try to out up my plan when I get a chance.

Why the change to EoD? I didn't catch it in an earlier post.

No, it wasn't a stressful run in the dream. I was just running easy.

I'm a bit, ermm, intimidated by how it only counts for mileage if I'm sprinting and out of breath in the dream. That only happens when I've got a stressful dream going like something is about to run me over and then of course, that's when you get the dream of trying to run as hard as possible but your legs move as if though in syrup.
That's right, you only get credit for out of breath runs.
It's interesting but when I am stressed out about something I dream about water and is very stressful in itself cause I don't swim.

Reactions: happysongbird
That's funny we are kind of falling into the same pattern. I'm also cutting squats back a little and adding in power cleans. I started doing a ladder program for my leg work and am keeping all sets below reps of 3. It seems to help keep my legs fresh for the runs. I'm still on the fence about squats but I am leaning to the view that they are somewhat counter productive for running, at least heavy 1rm squats. I'm going to run with a plan to build up my DL to 2x my BW and keep my squat at 225 till then. See if that helps at all?

I'm also going to start working in weighted step ups to work the quads some and hope they wil help with hill climbing. I'll try to out up my plan when I get a chance.

Why the change to EoD? I didn't catch it in an earlier post.
Ha, ironic that it was you who encouraged me to get back into squats, an exercise I've always underemphasized. But I like squats at higher reps, lower weights. And I do deep, full squats now too, as per your recommendation. Since my goals are general fitness and not running performance per se, I think I'll keep the squats, but keep them well below what I might be able to do with a single rep. Just seems like an exercise where it would be real easy to hurt yourself if you get overexuberant. Even on the deadlifts I try to be careful. Today I felt a little something in my tailbone and considered shutting it down, but I kept at it without any problem. I can feel it now sitting down though. Not painful, just know that I did a good job of pushing it and will benefit from it next time I lift.

In my workouts I don't really have any set number of reps or sets, I just go by feel and energy levels, but generally I aim to do the heavier stuff 3-5 reps, and the lighter ones 5-8 reps. Once the exercises exceed these rep ranges, I usually add weight.

You've also introduced me to the concept of using BW as a benchmark, and I agree that DL at 2x BW is a good goal. Other than that, I don't have any real concrete goals for the weights, unlike my running. I guess I would like to widen my back a bit, and maybe get the power cleans up to 1 x BW, but other than that, slow improvement everywhere else over time is fine for me. Still, lately both my lifting and running seem to be entering a new level of fitness. Adopting an early morning schedule has helped me become more consistent, and that helps progress, but I think it's mostly because I'm more or less past my shoulder and knee issues, and able to push things a bit more now without fear of setbacks.

I don't understand the terms 'ladder', 'step-ups,' or 'EoD.' Please elaborate when you have a chance.

Good to hear from your in any case! Hope your PF heals up quick.
Odd how stuff like that works like magic occasionally.
Yes it is. And that's why I keep harping on the importance of massage/stretching the lower leg whenever someone has issues in the feet. Unfortunately, it can take a while for folks to believe it sometimes . . .

Just a follow up, watched the heel pain vids and followed the massage techniques. It offered a little bit of relief. Then I was able to get together with my trigger point expert and she showed me about 6 different points in the calf, ankle and shin. After gspending about 20 minutes digging into them the PF was almost gone. I'd say80% better. So I went for an easy 7 mile trail run and had no issues at all. Odd how stuff like that works like magic occasionally.
80% is great, isn't it?
Do you mind sharing the six points in the calf?
Great on the run!

Reactions: happysongbird

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7