Mileage Reporting 32nd Week of 2013

Late morning run/walk at Little Mulberry park...3 miles pavement...6 miles trails. Walked all the hills ran easy recover effort ave pace 12:55 m/m...heat was up a bit too. Ran buy feel and effort worked out just right on the Garmin...legs are almost back to normal.

Sunday midday
1hr on bike, followed immediately by 1hr on feet (7k on gnarly airstrip tarmac), followed immediately by another 1hr on bike.

Sunday evening
Now nursing some pretty nasty sunburn and a surprisingly minor blister while listening to the Beach Boys...

And we'll have fun, fun, fun... ;-)

Sunday midday
1hr on bike, followed immediately by 1hr on feet (7k on gnarly airstrip tarmac), followed immediately by another 1hr on bike.

Sunday evening
Now nursing some pretty nasty sunburn and a surprisingly minor blister while listening to the Beach Boys...

And we'll have fun, fun, fun... ;-)

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
No run today, but a 4.28 mile walk. I didn't expect to walk barefoot as I was with my husband who thinks I am slightly mad (despite it being him who is off running injured), so went out in my vivobarefoot Lucys but the trail by the river was just so inviting I couldn't keep them on<g>. I pointed out that I was carrying my shoes so just looked like someone who had been paddling!

This morning my wife was to walk with her friend 5 miles so I too went with and planned to run while they walked. Today thought I decided to run at this park barefoot instead of wearing the VFF's. Guess I agree with and like Bare Lees' quote "if it isn't bare, I don't care" (too run that is). This park is the one where it has a 1.06 mile asphalt loop around a lake with about a fifth of it being asphalt road. Last spring I ran 3 laps here and got some glass in my foot on the asphalt road section. May plan today was to let the girls walk their laps while I ran barefoot in an out and back loop avoiding the asphalt road section. It worked quite well as I stepped on no glass or anything else. This park has a lot of walkers and a few runners. I believe most of the people wondered why I was running barefoot but one lady gave me a thumbs up and said "Good, Good, Good" as I ran by her.

Not exactly sure how far I ran but probably ran (and walked some) 6 to 7 miles. Was quite tired after only getting a few hour of sleep because of that nights corn storm. ;) Soles are slightly sore from yesterdays 9.5 miles then todays asphalt trail running.

The sweet corn project the wife and I started yesterday lasted until 3:34am this morning. o_O I clearly picked waaaaaay to much sweet corn to freeze and must be a very poor judge of how much corn we would end up with. I dumped the empty cobs out at the farm and counted the number of cobs we cleaned. I counted 311 cobs. This did make a lot of bags of corn but this is way too much corn for the two of us. My wife plans on giving some to her grandmother and her parents. We lost count of the amount of corn yielded but once the bags are frozen we are going to count them so we have an idea next year that x number of cobs approximately = x quarts of frozen sweet corn.

morning: about 1hr, 15 min swim on very little sleep (congestion from cold, up late visiting relatives, up hungry in the middle of the night)
afternoon: another swim, but this one with lots of breaks. At the outdoor lap lane in the aquatic park by my sisters house, it had gotten so crowded there were grown ups and children just milling about in the lane (there are about 6 pools they could have been milling about in), and the lifeguards weren't exactly keeping things clear. gave up after a while. no idea on time.

early evening: walk the dog (my sister's) one last time before eating and hitting the road. Would have tried to run with the dog, but she was kind of lazy looking and the kids were with me and my daughter nearly has a breakdown every time running is suggested to her. Sigh. late afternoon on asphalt in full sun, so sandals.

I'll just post my weekend's runs here to minimize my post count.;)

Spent the weekend in the mountains. Saturday - 12 miles (shod) on some technical trails. Tried to take it easy, but I was rushing to get to a beer tasting festival. Stubbed hard on a rock, but did not go down. Finished in about 2.5 hours. Plenty of elevation change at an average elevation of 9000 ft.

Sunday - 20 miles (shod) mostly trail, made a wrong turn and finished the last 2 on pavement. More hiking than running, not going to mention the time. Average elevation of 10,000 ft. Recipe for hitting the wall = back to back runs at elevation after too many beers. Worked though it and had the bonus of filling my pack with mushrooms.

So my first significant back to back. This one was probably harder than one continuous long run. Next time I try this I will skip the beer in between efforts. That might make a difference.

45 min. Gym. Cut short by a painful sliver I got from a medicine ball. Took an extended exercise break -trying to recover from all the trigger points I got from that sprinting...but everything seems to be back where it belongs now. I wore 2 pairs of thick socks on my right foot for a temporary lift -and my achy left side does actually feel better!

I don't know what the fudge is going on I hadn't run since like forever, July 27th to be precise.
I had "Malaria" for about three? maybe four days last week so I didn't exercise at all and then we had company from Friday-Sunday and there was no time for exercise either BUT yesterday I woke up with severe pain on the tendon the runs from the big toe all the way up to the ankle and around the big joint where to foot attaches to the lower leg:mad: .
And that's is very irritaing to be dealing with that shit since I have done abosuletely NOTHING:mad:
So anyways, I have being reading about what could possibly be the cause and one is overtraining WHICH I AM NOT:mad: and another one is spinal issues in L4 and L5 which is what I have:mad: so I guess that solves the mistery. Maaaaan there is no win here:banghead:

Hope things get better for you, Dama.

Thanks scratch, just when I think that my running is coming along nicely something happens..I tell ya.

Late Monday morning (went to bed late, woke up late)
2-3 miles of hill repeats/sprints (will know exact mileage later), Upper Body ST.

This week I'm trying to take the running down a notch and see if I can complete a week of running at least a mile every day with no rest days. If all goes well, I'll start building up the mileage a bit next week. If all doesn't go well, I either reduce the mileage more or take one or two rest days per week. The goal is to get up in the 25-30 mpw range consistently for a month or two and then see where I'm at after that.
Thanks scratch, just when I think that my running is coming along nicely something happens..I tell ya.
What is WRONG with you?

Ha, ha, sorry Dama, couldn't help but throw your words back at you. Seriously though, hope you recover quickly. I hate it when you disappear from here. One idea, do you think this might be an underuse injury? When I take more than a few days off, my tendency is to stop the stretching and massaging too, and when my body is used to the running/massaging/stretching routine, it can tense up in weird places if I stop cold turkey. I know you have a back issue, so that's probably it, just offering an alternative explanation in case it helps.

Also, so far, only Dutchie is confirmed as human. As far as I'm concerned, this site may still consist mostly of delusional chipmunks. Dama is especially suspect. Still can't believe I finally met a bone fide fellow barefoot runner though. There is that one guy up my street I bumped into last year, but I've never actually seen him out running, although both my wife and brother have. So thanks Dutchie, I no longer fear my delusional behavior has got the better of me and created this online barefoot fantasy world. Hey, wait a minute, come to think of it, I didn't actually see Dutchie running either. Maybe he's just a rubber suit stand-in for his chipmunk persona.

Late Monday morning (went to bed late, woke up late)
2-3 miles of hill repeats/sprints (will know exact mileage later), Upper Body ST.

This week I'm trying to take the running down a notch and see if I can complete a week of running at least a mile every day with no rest days. If all goes well, I'll start building up the mileage a bit next week. If all doesn't go well, I either reduce the mileage more or take one or two rest days per week. The goal is to get up in the 25-30 mpw range consistently for a month or two and then see where I'm at after that.

What is WRONG with you?

Ha, ha, sorry Dama, couldn't help but throw your words back at you. Seriously though, hope you recover quickly. I hate it when you disappear from here. One idea, do you think this might be an underuse injury? When I take more than a few days off, my tendency is to stop the stretching and massaging too, and when my body is used to the running/massaging/stretching routine, it can tense up in weird places if I stop cold turkey. I know you have a back issue, so that's probably it, just offering an alternative explanation in case it helps.

Also, so far, only Dutchie is confirmed as human. As far as I'm concerned, this site may still consist mostly of delusional chipmunks. Dama is especially suspect. Still can't believe I finally met a bone fide fellow barefoot runner though. There is that one guy up my street I bumped into last year, but I've never actually seen him out running, although both my wife and brother have. So thanks Dutchie, I no longer fear my delusional behavior has got the better of me and created this online barefoot fantasy world. Hey, wait a minute, come to think of it, I didn't actually see Dutchie running either. Maybe he's just a rubber suit stand-in for his chipmunk persona.
Exactly! right? I keep asking the same question myself but no, I don't think is an under use injury I think the problem was cause by me actually being stupid moving furniture around getting the place ready for the relatives and I messed up my back a little but I didn't think this pain was related to it but my research says otherwise. Go figure.
I was thinking about you guys having fun and how so I whished I could have being there I am glad you had fun...you did right?
Do you think your wife will let you do a race next year? maybe here in Iowa or in your hometown it doesn't matter. Can you start sweet talking to her from now on and be extra nice? If you do that maybe she'll let you participate...just sayin'

I'll just post my weekend's runs here to minimize my post count.;)

Spent the weekend in the mountains. Saturday - 12 miles (shod) on some technical trails. Tried to take it easy, but I was rushing to get to a beer tasting festival. Stubbed hard on a rock, but did not go down. Finished in about 2.5 hours. Plenty of elevation change at an average elevation of 9000 ft.

Sunday - 20 miles (shod) mostly trail, made a wrong turn and finished the last 2 on pavement. More hiking than running, not going to mention the time. Average elevation of 10,000 ft. Recipe for hitting the wall = back to back runs at elevation after too many beers. Worked though it and had the bonus of filling my pack with mushrooms.

So my first significant back to back. This one was probably harder than one continuous long run. Next time I try this I will skip the beer in between efforts. That might make a difference.
ah, you tell it all well!

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
Exactly! right? I keep asking the same question myself but no, I don't think is an under use injury I think the problem was cause by me actually being stupid moving furniture around getting the place ready for the relatives and I messed up my back a little but I didn't think this pain was related to it but my research says otherwise. Go figure.
Well, it makes sense to me. For me the center of the body is the hamstrings. If I have those puppies nice and loose, everything else is probably in pretty good shape. But the whole posterior chain is interconnected via muscles, tendons, and ligaments, from the nape of your neck down to your tippy toes, right? So the possibilities of referred (deferred?) pain are almost endless. I almost never get headaches, but when I do, my first course of action is to drink water and stretch. That'll often take care of it. If I'm having trouble concentrating, I'll get down on the floor and spread out my legs. That's often quite refreshing.

I was thinking about you guys having fun and how so I whished I could have being there I am glad you had fun...you did right?
We had about as much fun as can be had in downtown St. Paul. With more time, I could've shown Dutchie some better spots. We did get to watch an older, bearded gent take a nap close to our table for a bit before being hauled away by a few officers of the peace. Another woman walked down the pedestrian plaza where we had parked ourselves shouting something at no one in particular. This is about as good as it gets in St. Paul. We may have the capitol, but we have trouble competing with Minneapolis in almost every other respect. Although on a family boat ride down the Mississippi Friday afternoon, I was reminded of how spectacular downtown St. Paul looks from the river, perched up on the bluffs, with the prisoners of the county jail looking out with magnificent views.
Do you think your wife will let you do a race next year? maybe here in Iowa or in your hometown it doesn't matter. Can you start sweet talking to her from now on and be extra nice? If you do that maybe she'll let you participate...just sayin'[/quote
Well, as you know, these negotiations usually involve some kind of quid pro quo, and since I'm ambivalent about racing to begin with (nothing beats the peace and quiet of the early morning runs), I doubt I'll be squandering my nicety reserve capital on something that would be so stressful for her. Just meeting up with Dutchie cost me a pretty sum of niceness.