Mileage Reporting 19th Week of 2013

The place nearby where I live is called Coogee, and it is surrounded by hills, which are in some case quite steep, so including hills runs in my routine is almost mandatory !

Today did my weekly intervals (15x400m) with a total of 11.6km (7.1mi). I usually go to our local rugby field to do that (on grass), but today ran on concrete, which is a bit easier....nevertheless I increased my speed, averaging 4'15"/km (6'48"/mi) during the intervals.

I actually went to the gym today for the second time in 45 days...lol. I hate gyms. But I don't have an indoor place to do exercises and on days it's too rainy or too hot, I really need some place to go. I did a lot of some exercises that are a combination of one-legged squats/lunges/leg swings. So go figure that out. I woke up today and I was SO excited because the last time I did these (2 days ago), I REALLY put forth some effort. And my left hamstring was TOTALLY sore today!!! YES!!! That is amazing because it took me forever to figure out that when your hips are imbalanced, it's best to do unilateral strength exercises, primarily. When I use two legs simultaneously, with weight on them, all I get is strained muscles. One leg at a time...and the muscle actually gets adequately worked out! These ripped up fibers should make tomorrow's long run all the more awesome!

After my almost two week taper and 1/2 marathon on Saturday, I'm trying to work back up now. The half went great! Will have a write up on that sometime here shortly. We jogged a little bit at the IBRD meet up in Ohio but not really enough to count. Felt good just to stretch out the legs a bit. Tuesday I did an easy 6mi, felt pretty good, still some hot spots and tight muscles from the half. Today, felt almost back to normal when I started, worked up to an 8:30 pace after a couple mile slow warmup, but felt like I ran out of juice quick. Backed down to 9-something for most of the rest. Was interrupted with a phone call from the wife for a minute, and after walking for a bit I felt like I had some energy and picked up the pace for just about a mile at about 7:30mm until backing back down for the last 2 miles cooldown. 8.5 in today. Afterwards my legs, mainly my calves, were really tight and rolling them when I got home was pretty painful. Might have overdone it today. Was hoping for a >10mi long run this weekend but now second guessing that. Might take a couple more easier runs until I'm fully recovered.

Ok, lets see, it's been busy this week with non exercise stuff, so here I am at the end of the week trying to remember.

Sunday: bikeride, swim, mini hike with kids
Monday: hmm, I know I did a swim, can't remember if I did anything else
Tuesday: gym workout, swim, shooting baskets with kids
Wednesday: gym workout, short swim, some walking around bf with kids by a local lake
Thursday: gym workout, nap (sinuses way clogged from viral cooties donated by son last week, so sleep has been lacking), swim lesson

Thursday afternoon
6.4 mi
8.57 mm pace

Just ran around the jhs track a million times. By the last lap or two, my legs were asking my CNS to kindly stop, but up until that point I felt pretty strong throughout. After four miles I jumped up from the sandy gravel track to just inside the track, onto the grassy field. Mmmn, that felt nice. Later I jumped back down onto track. Ohhh, that's hard, and jumped back onto the soothing, velvety grass. Ahhh, that's better. I had been brain dead the whole day. My brain kept crashing like a Microsoft OS into deep REM sleep mid-sentence, only to awake after a few seconds, confused as to whether my childhood memories and monsters and conversational implicatures and Peircean Semiotics really were related, only to disentangle the thoughts a few moments later. Still, a few good ideas came of it, although I only read about a third of what I had intended to get through. Should've taken a nap. The day's work was mostly a wash, but the spirited tempo run at the end kinda made amends for it. I didn't go quite as fast as last week's tempo run, but still, a very satisfying run after an unsatisfying work day. Good bless embodiment when emmindfulment fails.

It is likes she discovered a whole new world. :)
That's beautiful Dutchie.

Thanks Lee for the detailed info on the different types of runs. Guess I didn't know too much about this and have mostly been running the same speed for the most part with little or no variation. I really enjoyed yesterdays run and didn't feel sore at all today. There really is something to running a bit faster wich seems to yield and improved form over the slower paced runs and I too have less tightening of the leg muscles after the quicker paced runs. Gonna start including the different types of runs throughout my week of running also.

No run this evening for me. Got off work ate a good supper my wife had waiting for my then kinda became a couch potatoe tonight. Oops! Oh well! Will make up for it tomorrow!

Oh! Thanks Dama for the short version of the different types of running also!

Thanks Lee for the detailed info on the different types of runs. Guess I didn't know too much about this and have mostly been running the same speed for the most part with little or no variation. I really enjoyed yesterdays run and didn't feel sore at all today. There really is something to running a bit faster wich seems to yield and improved form over the slower paced runs and I too have less tightening of the leg muscles after the quicker paced runs. Gonna start including the different types of runs throughout my week of running also.

No run this evening for me. Got off work ate a good supper my wife had waiting for my then kinda became a couch potatoe tonight. Oops! Oh well! Will make up for it tomorrow!

Oh! Thanks Dama for the short version of the different types of running also!
Yah, it's cool learning about this stuff, but in the end you gotta run the way you feel. If you enjoy yourself, and stay injury-free, you'll run consistently, and progress becomes inevitable, no matter what your tactics are. Me, lately, I'm leaning more and more towards tempo runs. As long as it doesn't put me at risk for injury by doing them too much, I have to say, I find those the most enjoyable. Today's run at around 9mm pace was a blast. Elite/serious runners will laugh at me, but the difference between 9mm pace and 10 mm pace feels like twice as fast.

Ok, lets see, it's been busy this week with non exercise stuff, so here I am at the end of the week trying to remember.

Sunday: bikeride, swim, mini hike with kids
Monday: hmm, I know I did a swim, can't remember if I did anything else
Tuesday: gym workout, swim, shooting baskets with kids
Wednesday: gym workout, short swim, some walking around bf with kids by a local lake
Thursday: gym workout, nap (sinuses way clogged from viral cooties donated by son last week, so sleep has been lacking), swim lesson
And here I thought you were resting!

Well, tooth is gone, I'm all drugged up and was informed no running for 48 hours, which then puts me at Monday because I will not have enough time to run this weekend. Also, I found out today that I get to get the MRI results tomorrow, so now the fingers and toes are crossed for good news. Had way too much bad news lately and could use a little good.

... Elite runners will laugh at me, but the difference between 9mm pace and 10 mm pace feels like twice as fast.

*thumbs up*

Well, tooth is gone, I'm all drugged up and was informed no running for 48 hours, which then puts me at Monday because I will not have enough time to run this weekend. Also, I found out today that I get to get the MRI results tomorrow, so now the fingers and toes are crossed for good news. Had way too much bad news lately and could use a little good.

Good luck on the MRI results!

Reactions: NickW
Yah, it's cool learning about this stuff, but in the end you gotta run the way you feel.

Yeah for the longest time I wasnt sure of all the lingo, being pretty much self taught. Still a bit uncertain if some of what I do would be called repeats or intervals (my fast runs, where I do maybe 1/2 mile to 1 mile at fast pace, then 1/4 to 1/2 slow recovery, then repeat).

I usually use simpler terms, fast day, long day, trail day. :D Okay I do more than just those, but I really don't follow any training plan or even within the run I might change stuff up.

Hoping for good news man!

Yeah for the longest time I wasnt sure of all the lingo, being pretty much self taught. Still a bit uncertain if some of what I do would be called repeats or intervals (my fast runs, where I do maybe 1/2 mile to 1 mile at fast pace, then 1/4 to 1/2 slow recovery, then repeat).
Those McMillan links I posted are the best explanation I've found of runner's lingo and training protocols.

For intervals, my understanding is that they are anything you do below lactate threshold, with walking, jogging, or stopping breaks in between for recovery (to shuttle the accumulated lactate to other tissues to be used as fuel). Intervals can be anywhere from 40-100 yards in distance up to a mile or so, although I suppose you could do two- or three-mile intervals too, as a sorta slightly faster tempo run. Intervals aren't necessarily sprints, but it seems like people are getting that idea lately because of the popularity of Tabata intervals in Crossfit type programs. Or maybe it's the use of the word "interval" after "high intensity" in HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) programs.

I just started doing intervals late summer/early fall last year, then stopped over the winter, so I'm still finding my way with them. Seems I like to do 440 and 880 intervals mostly. Yesterday I was going to do one-mile 'cruise' intervals, using my pace alert set at 8:30 mm. I haven't used a pace alert for a long time. But after the first mile I turned off the annoying alert, took a pee in the bushes, put on an old jam to listen to, and just ran. I clicked the lap button after each mile, except the last two, but other than that didn't pay any attention to my Garmin. Funny, miles 3 and 4 were the slowest. I picked up steam again once I switched to grass. Running on grass is really pleasing, such a different sensation. It had drizzled earlier in the day, so both the track and the grass were nice and cool.
I usually use simpler terms, fast day, long day, trail day. :D Okay I do more than just those, but I really don't follow any training plan or even within the run I might change stuff up.
Yah, I use what I've learned as guidelines, but my overall approach is still pretty lackadaisical. I like to think about my run earlier in the day, to get psyched for it, but I often change plans once I'm out. My only real training plan is to get better. Right now I'm flirting with the idea of just running tempo, intervals, and hills until my endurance pace picks up a bit, but then I'd miss those little urban adventures I get from LSD runs.

I also tend to think of the runs as fast, medium, and slow, corresponding to intervals/hills, tempo, and LSD runs, corresponding to anaerobic, lactate threshold, and aerobic. Triads rule!

Reactions: NickW
Well, got the MRI results. The doctor seems to have conflicting information from what the radiologist reported, and then wants me to do two different surgeries at the same time. This will put me out for close to 6 months if I do them. I am leaning towards not doing them because I think they might be a bit excessive, but I am going to put up a new post in the ask the drs forum because I want to get their take on it. Basically, the short version, my calcaneus (heel bone) is more c-shaped than what is normal so he wants to take a wedge of bone out so they can straighten this out. Seems way excessive to me as apparently I've had this for 35 years and never had a problem till now. Problem 2 is (this and problem 1 the radiologist never made mention of in his report) the dr "thinks" I have a low lying peroneal muscle belly that is causing the binding up problem that I am having right now. For this, it sounds to me like maybe this tendon may just be tight and may just need to be stretched or "lengthened". Seems to feel better for a short period of time whenever I stretch, so this sounds reasonable to me. The dr also noted that my plantar fascia on this foot is really tight. Hmmmm, sounds to me like things in general on this side might just be tight and may just need to be loosened up, not surgery.

Well, got the MRI results. The doctor seems to have conflicting information from what the radiologist reported, and then wants me to do two different surgeries at the same time. This will put me out for close to 6 months if I do them. I am leaning towards not doing them because I think they might be a bit excessive, but I am going to put up a new post in the ask the drs forum because I want to get their take on it. Basically, the short version, my calcaneus (heel bone) is more c-shaped than what is normal so he wants to take a wedge of bone out so they can straighten this out. Seems way excessive to me as apparently I've had this for 35 years and never had a problem till now. Problem 2 is (this and problem 1 the radiologist never made mention of in his report) the dr "thinks" I have a low lying peroneal muscle belly that is causing the binding up problem that I am having right now. For this, it sounds to me like maybe this tendon may just be tight and may just need to be stretched or "lengthened". Seems to feel better for a short period of time whenever I stretch, so this sounds reasonable to me. The dr also noted that my plantar fascia on this foot is really tight. Hmmmm, sounds to me like things in general on this side might just be tight and may just need to be loosened up, not surgery.
Can be challenging to determine when the docs really know what they are doing and when they "just want to practice..."

Well, it seems at the very least, you should continue with your recent therapeutic interventions for a while longer before considering surgery, since you're getting results. A second or third opinion would also be in order, not just here, but by someone who can observe you personally.

I know from my experience of having tight shin muscle-induced TOFP misdiagnosed as a stress reaction/fracture, that I'm very wary of sports medicine-type doctors. So I think you're very justified in questioning your doc's diagnosis.

And the more time that passes, the more I'm convinced that simple stretching, massaging, strengthening, and mobility work can solve a lot of problems too. Like you said, you were fine for 25 years, so what's changed? Your skeletomuscular system? Or your habits/practices/life experiences? Could be a bit of both, but I would work on the latter first.

Ya, and I distinctly got the impression that he was absolutely giddy with the opportunity to practice...
In my totally unqualified opinion: don't go under the knife. At least, not yet.

Muscle imbalance, tension, all need investigation to exhaustion before hacking whacking big chunks out of yourself. The doc won't need to live with the consequences of chipping away at your foot - you will.

But as I said, this is my totally unqualified opinion. All the best.

...you were fine for 25 years, so what's changed? Your muscular-skeletal system? Or your habits/practices/life experiences? Could be a bit of both, but I would work on the latter first.
+1

Reactions: Bare Lee
Ya Lee and Footsie, even Dr William on here seems appalled at the surgeries too after looking at the picture of my calcaneus and reading the radiologists report. Confirms my fear... I guess I will continue on trying stuff at home to see if I can make it better on my own. Really freaked me out with the hacking out of bone and muscle talk despite the radiologist saying everything looks normal except for a bit of scar tissue from an old injury.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7