Milage Reporting 23rd Week of 2013

3.06 miles today in my lunas. I couldn't resist getting out there even though this is the fourth day in a row of running. What's better, I had a hell of a day! Ran an avg of 10:01 over that distance which is really good for me considering I was pushing a stroller, it's hotter than it has been lately, plus I ran 1.53 downhill and then 1.53 back up. My first 1.53 miles was at a 9:43 pace so really wasn't that much off that pace on the way back up. Had a shod runner who had beautiful form pass me as I was going back up and then he must have turned around where I did because a minute later he caught back up to me and told me I had great form and he couldn't understand how I could run in sandals. I told him thanks and likewise, I can't understand how people can run in regular shoes like he was because they hurt me so bad. He laughed and sped off, but he did look a little confused at my reply. He must be one of the lucky few who shoes don't hurt him or he just doesn't understand that you can run without foot pain from shoes. He was a tall lanky feller though and he looked super graceful and had no bounce without over striding. He actually made me really envious and hopefully someday I will develop form like that. There's just some people who make running at that pace look easy and I am not one of them yet.

Wow Nick you are on a roll, good for you!
On another note, do you mind sharing the link for the book? Jen gave it to me a few weeks ago but I can't find it now, please?

Wow Nick you are on a roll, good for you!
On another note, do you mind sharing the link for the book? Jen gave it to me a few weeks ago but I can't find it now, please?
This is the book that I have, which I believe is what Jen and Mike are always recommending to folks. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listi...tInStock_Under26-_-Q000000633-_-2695010761027 Sorry to hear about your back again Dama. As an ex-back problem guy I can fully understand your pain and I don't even wish that pain on my worst enemy.

This is the book that I have, which I believe is what Jen and Mike are always recommending to folks. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listi...tInStock_Under26-_-Q000000633-_-2695010761027 Sorry to hear about your back again Dama. As an ex-back problem guy I can fully understand your pain and I don't even wish that pain on my worst enemy.

Thank you Nick for the book reference and sympathies.
I know this too shall pass and Iwas just happy that I was there for the women otherwise she could have gotten really hurt had she hit the ground.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
I don't know what I did to make the running Gods upset, they are surely trying my patience big times. Just when I though my running was coming along nicely, what do I do? wreck my back-again.
What happened? last Sunday we were at a picnic and this women, twice my size mind you took a step back and tripped and she was going down completely flat on her back and I caught her mid air, I brought her back up and what happened next? she goes down again, I don't know what happened there it seemed like she got dizzy and couldn't keep her balance so I caught her again and needless to say that my back didn't take it well so there you have it and to answer your question at this point I am not sure if I'll be there for the half. I guess I'll just play it by ear.
Sadness. Next time let her all the way to the ground the first time. Or just apologize that you are not able to do these things any more as she is looking at her bruises.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Sadness. Next time let her all the way to the ground the first time. Or just apologize that you are not able to do these things any more as she is looking at her bruises.

That'ok, actually, I am really glad that I was there even if I am in a not so good place right now. See, she came to the picnic despite the fact that she had surgery(breast due to cancer) a couple of days prior so I think the meds made her unstable and most times things happen so quickly that your body reacts without thinking but I could've done it
even if I had time to think I wasn't to just let her go, so is all good.

Sounds like Dama should be running around with a cape on. Hope the back gets well quickly!

5.85 km barefoot this morning, quite dark out, and a little wet. Soggy feet seem to rough up a little quicker, but I think they're getting tougher each time. Found a few puddles to splash through, which was fun.

Thanks Larry, me thinks it'll be a couple of days and I'll be good, it has happened before so I know the drill:D

That'ok, actually, I am really glad that I was there even if I am in a not so good place right now. See, she came to the picnic despite the fact that she had surgery(breast due to cancer) a couple of days prior so I think the meds made her unstable and most times things happen so quickly that your body reacts without thinking but I could've done it
even if I had time to think I wasn't to just let her go, so is all good.

Thanks Larry, me thinks it'll be a couple of days and I'll be good, it has happened before so I know the drill:D
Well, in that case, good for you sacrificing yourself!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Ok I had another great run this morning. I ran 6 miles at 6:30 (late start was tardy to work). It was 73 deg., 89% RH, half way through light drizzle. It was daylight and in the horizon was a lightning storm. I saw 2 rabbits, 4 ducks (2 flying, 2 on the ground), the squirrel count was over 50. I got my packet for the wounded warrior 1/2 marathon today (still looking forward to this). feet good, legs good, love to run barefoot!!

Ok I had another great run this morning. I ran 6 miles at 6:30 (late start was tardy to work). It was 73 deg., 89% RH, half way through light drizzle. It was daylight and in the horizon was a lightning storm. I saw 2 rabbits, 4 ducks (2 flying, 2 on the ground), the squirrel count was over 50. I got my packet for the wounded warrior 1/2 marathon today (still looking forward to this). feet good, legs good, love to run barefoot!!
When I was running yesterday there was this dumb squirrel that was running on the path just a couple of feet in front of me and he was NOT keeping a steady pace! So irritating. True story. (I can't find a squirrel smiley...)

today, 30 minutes in the pool and very happy with how easily I am gaining stamina and increasing my interval times
then, I rode 60 minutes on the spinning bike, and have probably done a couple of hours worth of squats weeding and planting seeds today.

About 30 minutes in the pool playing and teaching my son how to swim, kinda... More like he held onto my fingers and kicked his legs. Was a lot of fun and enjoyed it a lot.
That sounds so nice. I hope my kids will let me play with the grandkids in my pool when they are a little older.

Reactions: scedastic
Had a shod runner who had beautiful form pass me as I was going back up and then he must have turned around where I did because a minute later he caught back up to me and told me I had great form and he couldn't understand how I could run in sandals. I told him thanks and likewise, I can't understand how people can run in regular shoes like he was because they hurt me so bad. He laughed and sped off, but he did look a little confused at my reply. He was a tall lanky feller...

I have seen a handful of exceptionally good form in shod runners - like better than mine!

And, Nick, if you ever say "feller" again, I will come over and kick you in the shins. :p

I finally got to meet Rick from Utah! Rick is super nice and fun and I love his farmer accent! ;) The three of us went on a 5 mile hike today! Rick is hilarious cuz he had us sign his Barefoot Runner's Society t-shirt! David signed it "Brine Shrimp" cuz his name is "Sea Monkey" on the BRS! Lol! Unfortunately I have one picture I can upload here, all the rest are too large to upload, and I am inept at making them smaller. If you are on my Facebook, check out the rest there! Rick, I will email the others to you! :D

rick.jpg

Oh, and I did water exercises and swimming for about 30 minutes this evening. :)

Dama,

It would be in your best interest to get a couple of professional massages done on your back. It will help calm down your central nervous system and keep it from "re-living" recent past, back trauma. The nervous system kind of has a "memory" so-to-speak, like muscles do.

Tuesday afternoon
4 mi / 6.5 km
After 10 days of little exercise except some sporadic yard work, I ran down to the JHS track and ran three one-mile laps, two on the sandy gravel and one on the grass, and then ran home, walking the last few blocks. I could tell I had lost a little conditioning, but the first day back after a longish break is often like that.

Wednesday afternoon
No time for ST

Thursday afternoon
Six miles around Marshall and Ford Parkway Bridges on the River Road. I forgot my Garmin, but feels like I’ve recovered my recent faster aerobic pace after last week’s time off.
Is it just me or does it seem super quiet anymore without Lee posting?

That’s touching Nick. My participation will be reduced for the time being, but I need you fellow barefoot freaks to keep me on the straight and narrow, so I’ll keep reporting. If I don’t report, it’s because I’m slacking.

:) Lee, did you talk your wife into running this one yet? How about you Dama, still on?

Not likely Dutchie. My wife is kind of a fearful woman, having grown up in a civil war. Or maybe it's just her nature. Also, I haven't been doing much distance for a while. I only have time for about an hour of exercise a day, so I've been focusing on pace. Still, it's my intention to revive the weekend long runs, so hopefully I'll be back up close to the 10-mile range sometime soon again. A half Mary distance would take two hours or more though, and I can't really afford to be out that long right now. Still-still, we should definitely get together when you're here. First round's on me.

Congratulations on the expanding families Dutchie & Laura!

I ran 4 miles at 4:30am. cooled off 66 deg. F., 88%RH. It seemed extremely dark this morning (I think almost no moon) (cool). I saw a couple rabbits. I turned one corner and some ones auto porch light came on so I looked over and there was a pretty good sized roof rat running back and forth on there porch. alrighty then. last run till 1/2 on sunday.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon