Milage Reporting 23rd Week of 2013

Me, I tend to focus my paranoia on all the loonies I share the road with while driving.
Me too, of course here it seems most people have their faces glued to that small little piece of technology in their hand instead of focusing on the road. What did people ever do without smart phones? How did we ever get along without knowing who ate what for dinner and who's with whom? People are so bad about it now that it has turned me off of smart phones even for myself and I am contemplating getting rid of mine and going back to one of my old phones that doesn't do anything but call in a sort of mini-protest. Funny, my generation really loves technology too and yet I am becoming more like my grandparents as I see how people are getting so addicted to their phones... I saw a young man in the store a while back with a group of his friends. He didn't look up once from his phone and kept telling the other kids who was doing what with whom, yet he never looked up at his friends. He never looked at the register person as he paid. Sorry for my small rant, I got off topic again. What I was getting at is I see people driving in two lanes, driving in the bike lane, running red lights, etc all the time because they are too focused on those phones in their hands instead of the road.

People are so bad about it now that it has turned me off of smart phones even for myself and I am contemplating getting rid of mine and going back to one of my old phones that doesn't do anything but call in a sort of mini-protest. Funny, my generation really loves technology too and yet I am becoming more like my grandparents as I see how people are getting so addicted to their phones...
Agree !! I would not go as far as getting rid of my 'smart'phone, but I have removed most social media stuff on it, keeping only the essential...And my battery life is now lot better too !!!!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Agree !! I would not go as far as getting rid of my 'smart'phone, but I have removed most social media stuff on it, keeping only the essential...And my battery life is now lot better too !!!!
See, with a smartphone just because you don't have the social media stuff on it doesn't mean your phone is now basic. You can still google stuff and check your emails and play games and all that. My mini-protest is kind of like just wanting to get all that distracting stuff that isn't important out of temptations way. You miss an awful lot of life around you if you let those things distract you.

See, with a smartphone just because you don't have the social media stuff on it doesn't mean your phone is now basic. You can still google stuff and check your emails and play games and all that. My mini-protest is kind of like just wanting to get all that distracting stuff that isn't important out of temptations way. You miss an awful lot of life around you if you let those things distract you.

I am 100% with you on this one Nick, after my contract expires I am going to get one of those phones that do nothing but send/recieve calls because is all I do on my phone really, so why should I be paying all the money to a phone Co when I could use the extra money for more important things?

I am 100% with you on this one Nick, after my contract expires I am going to get one of those phones that do nothing but send/recieve calls because is all I do on my phone really, so why should I be paying all the money to a phone Co when I could use the extra money for more important things?
The funny thing is, I like all these capabilities of the new smartphones. It's how society is becoming zombies with these things that has made me even think of getting rid of mine. I don't want to become like that. We all see how much I am on here, how hard would it be for me to really get addicted to my phone? Probably not very.

Reactions: Bare Lee
The funny thing is, I like all these capabilities of the new smartphones. It's how society is becoming zombies with these things that has made me even think of getting rid of mine. I don't want to become like that. We all see how much I am on here, how hard would it be for me to really get addicted to my phone? Probably not very.

I don't conform to society, I lived just fine without a cell but I could see also that a cellphone can be a life saver item that's why I'll keep it to the barebones. It's sad to me to see this all young people that seem to be lost without IM every awaken hour. Maybe I am just old, oh wait, I AM OLD:p

I don't conform to society, I lived just fine without a cell but I could see also that a cellphone can be a life saver item that's why I'll keep it to the barebones. It's sad to me to see this all young people that seem to be lost without IM every awaken hour. Maybe I am just old, oh wait, I AM OLD:p
Ya, I didn't even have a cell phone 5-6 years ago. My wife (this was prior to us getting married actually) made me get one because I was driving over to visit family in MT in my crummy car and she was afraid it would break down and I would be stranded. You know, since people are afraid to stop and help others now a days because they are afraid of serial killers and what not. ;) I will be just fine I with one of my old cell phones that doesn't do anything but call. It will save a tremendous amount of money too as smart phones are super expensive with the data plan and all.

So yesterday, I thought it would be fun to leave my lights on and kill my car battery. Luckily, my co-worker, was able to pick me up on the way to work! :) However, in my flustered state, I apparently left my damn car keys at work. Polly (my 8 year old self) has been throwing a FIT for the last hour because she was so looking forward to her first trail run in over two weeks. I have been trying to appease her with promises of swimming tonight instead, but she is not really having any of that. My 40 year old self is pretty miffed too, cuz she was trying to squeeze in one long trail run BEFORE she lays an egg for THE SECOND TIME this month. And the kicker is, that she looked at the wrong schedule for work, and wasn't even supposed to be working yesterday anyway. She has to reschedule the time she was going to spend with her mom on Friday, because now she has to change running days. Jen and Polly are now going to angrily and bitterly clean the ...boat -which really needs it- and which is good cuz they are very focused when they are upset. Triple AAA came out and unlocked the car so she was at least able to get her foam rollers out. While typing this the first time, she deleted the whole thing by accident. Maybe it's really time for some scream therapy!!! Then tomorrow, Jen and Polly are going to go out and cough up $75 for a battery charger and $100+ for the electronic car key that she HAS to get to avoid this ridiculousness. When you share one car, you are more likely to leave your car keys in ridiculous places, like work, cuz why would you notice you don't have them if you are not driving most of the time? Had a spare non-electronic key once (so it could only open the door) -but it was not in it's special place when it came time to use it (and was actually never found). Face in pillow, now! Running withdrawal must be like drug withdrawal - I swear!

What a terrible thing, sorry Polly and Jen. Maybe Polly needs her meds adjusted so she could concentrate better or is it Jen? I don't know someone needs to. Glad you girls at least got the foam rollers out.:really playful:

A slow 5km (3.1mi) today, that's before a reasonably fast 13km (8mi) tomorrow. I had a bit of a scare this morning, waking up to a pain in my right achilles, but this disappeared after a foam roller session...This thing does magic !!!

A slow 5km (3.1mi) today, that's before a reasonably fast 13km (8mi) tomorrow. I had a bit of a scare this morning, waking up to a pain in my right achilles, but this disappeared after a foam roller session...This thing does magic !!!
Yes they do! PVC pipes and baseballs also do magic!

I ran 4 miles at 4:30 am 79 deg. f., 76% rh. I saw no wildlife to speak of but heard an owl crying in the night. Upon hearing the owl I raised my arms like I finished a race (easily amused!). this is the start of week 8 of training. was slightly tight from the 1/2 felt better once I got going. Feet good, legs good

Note from sundays 1/2 marathon. I carry my vivobarefoot evos in my camel back during races. A woman ran up beside me and said "I see you have your shoes in case you need them " my reply was I only use them to got to the bathroom! we must draw the line somewhere. (she made a funny face)

run light, run right!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS