marathon training plan

macdiver

Barefooters
Dec 22, 2010
Has anyone used one of Jason's training plans from "The Barefoot Running Book"? I am on week 3 of the Hyena plan. This plan has a lot of speed work but relatively low miles per week. I'm just curious if anyone else is using or has used this plan.

I am doing a modified version

I am doing a modified version of it, I am training for a 50k. I asked him and he said that just add a few weeks and increase the milage. I really like it so far! Don't say it's easy lol, I'm 10 weeks in and its tough!

The most important thing

The most important thing about marathon training is consistency. All reputable plans will get you across the finish line if you follow them for the most part. Go with the plan that you will best be able to stick with. I've done everything from Hal Higdon to a plan that involved nothing but 200m sprints and weight training.

The Hyena plan sounds a lot like Crossfit Endurance, which uses weight training and speedwork but says no to long slow distance. Studies show that short, high intensity training is just as effective at building endurance as long slow distance. For me, it's not as damaging to my body as well, so I don't feel sore and wore down all the time. I'm also not spending all my time running.

I've never felt better during a marathon as I did doing Crossfit Endurance.

I used to ask about plans in

I used to ask about plans in marathon forums, the number one answer that I got was just run more! Forget plans really, just run alot, and do a long run on the weekends.

For my first marathon I followed a higon plan to the tee, did some speed workouts, etc. My time was 4:16

For my second marathon I didn't follow a plan actually ran less, no speed work, none of those boring track workouts. My time was 3:52. I was more relaxed not following a plan for the second one.

But I should say that for a first marathon it's good to have some kind plan in front of you just for a bit of guidance.

I feel I mislead people when

I feel I mislead people when I said relatively low miles per week. This plan does have a long run each week eventually building up to 28 miles. I meant low miles compared to the "You must run minimum 60 mpw before attempting a marathon" advice given on RW.

SayPay and Gentile, can y'all

SayPay and Gentile, can y'all go more in depth on the lower weekly mileage training? Sometimes it's tough to squeeze in running with kids and sleep and...egh...work! I already weight train, but I don't do legs...they get big and I get addicted to squats. Right now I lift M & F, Spin T W Th and run early or late 3-4x a week. I'm working up to my first half in Dec and the end goal is a Marathon before I turn 40 next year. Depending on how I like it, I'll do more or switch to BF Tris.

I'm just not sure how I can be consistant with putting in 60 miles a week, meet my responsibilities AND sleep! Any effective training that trunkates my workouts, would be great!

Thanks!

-Jonny

@macdiver, sorry to

@macdiver, sorry to mislead. For my first marathon i maxed out once, at 40 mpw, and for my second I maxed out at 35 mpw once. I basically was averaging 30 mpw for both marathons. Yes that is low when it comes to marathon training, but it worked for me. Higher mileage means better time, i was shooting for a sub 4 for my second, and made my goal and then some. It's a fine line with mileage and running a marathon. You also have to take into consideration of where you stand physically. I played alot of sports growing up, i never took time off from physical activity I my 40 years of living so far, so that can possible have some advantages.

@Jonny, I have two boys ages, 5 and 1. I was going to college at night (just graduated college this past may), and work full-time. My wife works full-time as well. I did a 16 week training plan and ran 4 times a week. I ran 3 times during the work week, woke up at 5:00am to get those runs in. For exampe I would run 5 miles monday, wedneday would be a run anywhere between 7-8 miles, and thursday would run 5 miles, then on saturday or sunday would be long run. My first long run started at 13 miles and gradually increased it. I would suggest running two 20 milers in training. No need to run over 20 miles in training, that last 6 miles in a marathon is all mental. Run your long run slow to avoid injury. This is very unconvential, but it works for me.

Cheers!

Barefoot Gentile

Barefoot Gentile said:
@Jonny, I have two boys ages, 5 and 1. I was going to college at night (just graduated college this past may), and work full-time. My wife works full-time as well. I did a 16 week training plan and ran 4 times a week. I ran 3 times during the work week, woke up at 5:00am to get those runs in. For exampe I would run 5 miles monday, wedneday would be a run anywhere between 7-8 miles, and thursday would run 5 miles, then on saturday or sunday would be long run. My first long run started at 13 miles and gradually increased it. I would suggest running two 20 milers in training. No need to run over 20 miles in training, that last 6 miles in a marathon is all mental. Run your long run slow to avoid injury. This is very unconvential, but it works for me.

Cheers!

Excellent! Thanks, BFG!! That looks like a good place to start...you know...not quite that far yet, but a good model to follow.

-Jonny

Everywhere I go people keep

Everywhere I go people keep telling me the last 6 miles are mental and after running a marathon I have to disagree with that (at least in my case). For me, after 20 miles my ankles felt like they were about to explode. Yes, my mental game suffered a lot at this point but if my ankles werent threatening to detach themselves from my legs and head off to Maui I don't think it would have been as bad as I was otherwise in a great mood.

Long story short: it is certainly possible to simply have vital parts of your body give out on you after 20 miles. I believe if I had done more runs at 20+ in training this may not have been a problem (I only did 1)

Here's the program that I use

Here's the program that I use to train for my marathons and ultras. There is a link

www.crossfitendurance.com

That should give you more information than I could in a post like this. It takes a leap of faith to switch from a traditional marathon training plan to this one, but trust me....it works really great. You are supposed to give it 12 weeks to really kick in, and I only used it for about 6 weeks and I still PR'd.

Yeah, I read your Blog

Yeah, I read your Blog account of the race. Sounds like you and the ladies had a blast! I gotta find some people to run mine with next year, cause my wife wants to stop at the half this December and then change gears to sprint tri's. I want to do those too, but the Marathon is top on my list.

I'll look that over, for sure, thanks!

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon