Just another winter running thread...

How do you run in the winter?

• Conventional footwear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (let everyone know in the comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

clappboard

Barefooters
Jun 29, 2013
Winter has set in in Canada, and apart from being waylaid by a separated shoulder, I'm trying to get out there running fairly regularly. The only problem is, it gets very cold up here. This week it's been a steady -20 C with the windchill. I normally run in Merrell's Vapor Gloves (http://www.merrell.com/CA/en-CA/Product.mvc.aspx/30714M/79131/Mens/Vapor-Glove?dimensions=0). Come the cold weather I've been wearing these with some fairly thick wool socks, to run a few kilometres when I can.

My toes still get numb, though. Here's a photo of my toes seconds after a run

cE1y9FBthtC7P1BdzJT9Dwtv9uvzHzYGnkZHma9d628=w910-h588-no

As you can see, they're not at all white (a common sign of frostbite) so I've got that going for me...but I still can't feel anything with the bottoms of them. I run on bare sidewalks mostly, which is certainly colder than snow, so I think that combined with the small impact of each step is making me lose feeling. I also have a condition called Raynaud's phenomenon (wikipedia it if you're curious) so I know that my circulation in my extremities is bad, which is why I'm being extra cautious.

So I guess my question for you guys is: how to you run in the winter without losing digits?

Fellow Canuck here! I don't suffer from Raynauds, but my hands and feet get cold very easily as well! I use Vivo Neo Trails and socks. Seems to work for me even in extreme cold! I hear wetsuit boots work well too.

I don't often get to experience the joys of double digit negative numbered temps here near Philadelphia, PA, USA. That's OK by me, though. We do seem to be getting plenty of cold and frozen precipitation to suit my masochistic side. That coupled with the still shortening days is enough to make winter running a challenge for me, especially in the motivation department.

I like running in snow if it's fresh, but the frozen slush of the old snow strikes me as unsuitable for human bare foot running. My Bikilas work great down to about -10C. Lower than that and I stay home and brood. I also find running in slush to be miserable. Positive or negative degrees, it's just too likely I'll end up with frozen feet, and salt injuries, too.

Reactions: happysongbird

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon