It's official, I am no longer capable of running in shoes

ajb422

Barefooters
Sep 28, 2010
Today I took what is my last normally shod run (well ok the last 4 miles were bf but most it was shod). My nikes are officially being retired. I figure since this is a cutback week it is as good a time as any to ditch them. They have finally reached the point of hurting my transition rather than helping it so it is time for them to go.

Hopefully my huaraches hold me through on the trails until all the new minimal shoes come out otherwise I'm going to be forced to buy VFFs and my toes are going to be angry at me :-(.

I know most of you managed to go all bf/minimalist from the beginning but this is a rather huge transition point for me so I felt the need to share with people who'd understand the inability to run in shoes :)

Whoo-hoo!  This is a cause

Whoo-hoo! This is a cause for celebration!

ajb, I started in April '10,

ajb, I started in April '10, when I bought my VFFs. Because I wanted to run bf and I thought they were what I needed. Then I found the BRS and...well, let's just say my definition of "barefoot" has been somewhat altered. ;-) I understand what you are feeling. I ran a 1/2 marathon in June (in TRS), because I thought my feet weren't ready for that long of a run in VFFs. Problem was...my form had altered and in my ignorance, I hadn't realized it. I somehow thought I would be better off running the race in my TRSs. It had to be the most miserable run I have ever had...

Haven't run in them since. But I think they are rather full of dust bunnies... ;-)

I think a lot of people here started bf, but I believe most of the BRS members are in some stage of "transition". So congrats on your progression to minimal/bf running. (your body will thank you) :)

miker wrote:ajb, I started in

miker said:
ajb, I started in April '10, when I bought my VFFs. Because I wanted to run bf and I thought they were what I needed. Then I found the BRS and...well, let's just say my definition of "barefoot" has been somewhat altered. ;-) I understand what you are feeling. I ran a 1/2 marathon in June (in TRS), because I thought my feet weren't ready for that long of a run in VFFs. Problem was...my form had altered and in my ignorance, I hadn't realized it. I somehow thought I would be better off running the race in my TRSs. It had to be the most miserable run I have ever had...Haven't run in them since. But I think they are rather full of dust bunnies... ;-)I think a lot of people here started bf, but I believe most of the BRS members are in some stage of "transition". So congrats on your progression to minimal/bf running. (your body will thank you) :)

Yup I noticed this week instead of being sore after my bf runs I was sore after my shod runs. I tried doing some altering to the shoes to make them better but today after 12 miles I just couldn't wear them anymore. I haven't been able to walk in them for a week or so now so I knew this day was quickly approaching. Now its just a matter of do I have the will power to build slowly over the next couple of weeks and not hurt myself trying to do long runs like I used to :). They were a nice tool for getting here, though its nice to know I'm free of them (no pun intended).

I've been toying with the

I've been toying with the idea of going for a run in my old running shoes just to see it really was that much more noticeable. However, every time I go out I can't wait to see how far I can go barefoot and never even put the shoes on.

Awhile back I did actually

Awhile back I did actually go for a run in my old standard running shoes. It was miserable. I did it because I was having some issues I hoped it would fix. It did in fact fix those issues but it was so miserable that I said never again. Those were retired to only certain activities at the gym that I need a stiffer shoe for quite some time ago.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7