Is running trails better for you?

Is running on natural trails, with all their inherently irregular surfaces, better for our bodies?

I've been barefoot running now for about 18 months. Most of my running is on asphalt and concrete. Lately, I've been doing more trail running. I've come across something interesting. My body, particularly my calves and feet, feel better after a trail run. I believe that this is related to repetitive stress. On the relatively uniform asphalt and concrete surface my feet, legs, and entire body do not have to work as much as when running on a trail. I do not have to adjust my entire body to handle the terrain. My stabilizers do not have to fire up like they do on trails. Our bodies have evolved to handle irregular surfaces.

So, my questions are this ...

Is running primarily on man made surfaces setting us up for an increased chance of injury?

Will trail running make me a better runner?

'tis better for the soul and

'tis better for the soul and that really what I care most about.

On a more serious note, I can always run faster, harder and longer on trails than concrete. I used to back to back 20 milers on trails and was fine but 13 on concrete made me feel like I was like 80 years old.

If the road cambers are bad

If the road cambers are bad where you are, this can cause problems with form as one foot is always falling a little lower than the other. You don't get this kind of repetitive action on trails.

I think you're

I think you're correct.

Lately I've been making a point of getting off the uniform trails, whether asphault or even gravel, after running on them a lot. The trails I have handy are a bit too hard on my feet, if even just for stretches, so I've reverted to my VFF's for most of them, but I feel my legs and ankles get a much better workout. I know for sure that I have to pay much better attentionto foot placement and rock avoidance on the trails.

On the othre hand, I like to just home in on form and speed when I'm on the flat.

I think you're absolutely

I think you're absolutely correct. Unfortunately for me, I usually run pushing my son in a stroller so I don't get to do trail runs very often. I have noticed that I feel I can run farther on trails than I can on pavement. Part of this is due to my feet not getting chewed up so bad from the concrete and pavement, but then part of it is, um, not sure how to put it. Animalistic maybe??? I feel more alive I guess in the woods. I think part of that is because we are not using the same muscles over the length of the run, but are using all the other muscles as well because of the varied terrain.

Good points all ..Uneven

Good points all ..

Uneven terrain means that my entire being needs to be engaged in my run. Mind, body, and soul get involved in moving me from A to B. The pleasure of running, particularily barefoot, is enhanced by having contact with the ground. My mind is subjected to the paradox of having to both relax and focus. My body becomes aware of the nuances that nature delivers, be they hard or soft. My soul finds a kindred spirit in the Earth.

This may sound a little like metaphysical hype, but there is value in relaxing and following the trail like a roller coaster. How many runners, in your local running store club, can sense the cool morning dew on autumn leaves contrasted to the warming dirt of an early morning fall run? Each barefoot trail run brings rewards that I could not achieve running on man made surfaces, and definitely not being shod.

To all those hitting the trails, run smiling.