Insensitive to Speed?

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I was out for an easy 4 mile run on a paved trail this afternoon and was passed by a nice looking female type runner just before I turned around to head back to my start. I thought "she's only got a quarter mile or so on me and she wasn't going too fast...I can catch her!" So I gradually added juice to my pace. With half a mile to go she was still 250 yards ahead but I thought "I can still catch her!" So I cranked it up to about my max BF pace and a little more. I had the image of those guys in the Antietam Park video in my mind. I felt like I was flying. She ended up stopping just before I could catch up to her, but I was within 20 yards when she did. It was excellent fun!

I learned 2 things after I caught my breath:

1. Chasing women is still fun.

2. My feet felt the same or maybe even better going fast than they did at the easy pace.

Any comments, observations, or warnings?

Oh...my pace was just under 20 minutes on the way out and just at 17 coming back.

My experience has been quite

My experience has been quite the opposite, actually. I can move along at an 8:30-9:00/mile pace barefoot for up to 5.5 miles rather comfortably, but anything faster than that inevitably gives me blisters. For example, last night I was running with my dog (boxer/lab mix), and it was fairly cool and rather humid. Sebastian (the dog) was really cranking it, so I decided to turn my run into a tempo workout. I was running under 7:30/mi for most of the run going as low as 6:25/mi (according to my Garmin) for a total of three miles. I have blisters on my forefoot and a couple toes this morning.

I think that my form breaks down once I get into a serious lean and extend my stride. It is really difficult to keep from pushing off when trying to maintain that speed. Frustrating, for sure.

I am in the same boat as

I am in the same boat as Chad, my pace is similar and I've gotten down to a 4:30 (once) and 5's on sprints and stuff. My form definitely suffers when the pace is that quick.

I think there's a point

I think there's a point during barefoot running when your foot is on the ground for too long. For example, on rough terrain, you limit the damage done to your feet by increasing your stride...which usually means you go faster. If you plant your foot for too long you could risk damage as your body travels through space and your foot twists and whatnot to adjust.

You might have had that issue at your slow pace Chad.

Hahaha! That's cute...

Hahaha! That's cute... "chasing women is still fun!" Love it!

I'm only just learning that when I go faster than normal I tend to pick up my feet more (or so it seems) so my feet seem to do OK even at a faster pace.

saypay45 wrote:I think

saypay45 said:
I think there's a point during barefoot running when your foot is on the ground for too long. For example, on rough terrain, you limit the damage done to your feet by increasing your stride...which usually means you go faster. If you plant your foot for too long you could risk damage as your body travels through space and your foot twists and whatnot to adjust.You might have had that issue at your slow pace Chad.

Well I admit that I had trouble keeping my footfalls as quick and light. It felt like there was some degree of rotation - like I was scrubbing the bottom of my feet on the sidewalk like the hands on a clock face - at sub 7:00min/mi. I had never felt that before when running. Also, I found it quite difficulty not to "dig" with my toes. It just felt so natural to do so.

The good news: I actually do not have blisters. It was just tenderness, which is good.

Oddly, my form seems

Oddly, my form seems to improve when I "run" rather than "jog". The slower I go the more I have to concentrate on correct form. It does "seem" to feel better when I go faster. But then again, it could all be an illusion.

jldeleon wrote:Oddly, my form

jldeleon said:
Oddly, my form seems to improve when I "run" rather than "jog". The slower I go the more I have to concentrate on correct form. It does "seem" to feel better when I go faster. But then again, it could all be an illusion.

+1

I do not think it is an illusion. I have the same experience.

ha you two! i can keep my

ha you two! i can keep my form pretty well at any speed. except when i'm on a slip n slide(muddy trail). little inside joke for paraganek.

Mike

migangelo wrote:ha you two! i

migangelo said:
ha you two! i can keep my form pretty well at any speed. except when i'm on a slip n slide(muddy trail). little inside joke for paraganek.Mike

There is no form to speak of when running downhill on a slip n slide. I just fight for my life :bigsmile:

The faster I run, the better

The faster I run, the better my form gets. My stride will open p slightly, without pushing off. My feet stay on the ground a little longer.