If your thinking about running Scotiabank Toronto Marathon

Horseman42

Chapter Presidents
Sep 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario
Hi,

This is just a heads up to anyone running (or thinking of running) the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon this year. I just recieved an email from the race dirrector that the chips are NOT barefoot friendly. They are required to be worn flat within the laces of your shoes.

The dirrector suggested that I buy my own Champion Chip to avoid not getting a chip time in the race. Fortunately for me I already have an old chip from 2000 when I ran the NYC marathon. Hoping that this will still work

UPDATE

I'm a little skeptical after talking to Vanessa on FB. The race dirrector may be in error here... I'm clairifying the issue with Sportstats....

Angie and Dama wore a unique

Angie and Dama wore a unique configuration of shoe laces that allowed them to run barefoot and keep the timing device flat on the top of the foot. I will email them and ask them to contact you.

I found the picture of

I found the picture of Angie's lace configuration. Check it out to see if it will work for you too.

AngieBChipLace.jpg

I might need that this

I might need that this weekend for my marathon.

Thanks TJ

Horseman, this sounds a

Horseman, this sounds a little ridiculous. I think the race director is clueless.

Is the chip system really that sensitive (or, rather, poorly made) that it has to be worn flat? It sounds kind of crazy because even if people wear them flat, their feet will be at all angles when they are passing over the timing device. So it may be a meaningless specification.

Here is what one web site has to say:

The reading distances of the ChampionChip System is

limited The antennas are embedded in the red mats on the road. Therefore the chips should be located as close to the mats as

possible on the body of the participant. In cycling events the chips should be located as close to the mats as possible on the frame

of the bike.

In running, triathlon, cycling, mountain biking, cross-country skiing and in-line skating events:The chip should preferably be attached to the shoelace or attached to the ankle with a strap.

That sounds reasonable to me. Ankle strap.

Angie and Dama had the same

Angie and Dama had the same questions about it, Stomper, and I'm not sure if they ever got their answers, but they went with the shoe lace just to be safe. (Otherwise, I agree with what you're saying. A dog collar should do.)

The response I recieved from

The response I recieved from Sports stats was that this particular chip *may* not be picked up by an ankle strap. I have my own chip which they said would work on an ankle strap anyways. I have yet to find anyone who has not got a time wearing the white plastic chip as an anklet. Does anyone know anyone??

I've done it with an ankle

I've done it with an ankle strap for one of these single use chips. Use the same ankle strap for the campion chip all the time. Did add a little band of rubber to hold it in place. Worked like a charm here in Potsdam two weeks ago.

If i'd figure out how to attach a picture, i'd embedded it. So this way I am linking to it:

http://www.hv23.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Flatchip.png

You know, super glue has it's

You know, super glue has it's origins as a surgical adhesive. A couple drops would probably do the trick for securing that transponder. As for getting it off after the race... something like nail polish remover does it well, I think.

Maybe you should ask for another one so you balance.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon