Gravel, the unappreciated barefoot running surface

Barefootpuffin

Barefooters
Aug 22, 2011
Just uploaded a new blog post in regards to why I believe that gravel is the most underrated surface when it comes to learning to run barefoot. What do you guys think? What surface did you stick to when you started running? Do you agree with me? Disagree? I'm always up for some debate.

Thanks,

Aaron

I was about to respond "Ken

I was about to respond "Ken Bob has always said that" but read your blog post first and saw that you too aknowledge that fact.

Gravel and pavement is all you need to learn and train. Gravel ON pavement is another story, but that's what cussin's for.

haha yeah Longboard!  Gravel

haha yeah Longboard! Gravel (or rock salt) ON pavement is pretty much my kryptonite! ;)

oh yeh. Gravel on

oh yeh. Gravel on asphalt/pavement is the bane of my existence. Although, it does help me remember to run lightly when I'm doing one of my pitch black runs. It's at these times that I find new ways to phrase my colorful choice of cuss words...Yep, ways that don't even make sense.

I'm lazy and don't read blog

I'm lazy and don't read blog posts but I think I get the gist enough to comment.

Assuming gravel on gravel or gravel on some sort of other soft surface I agree. I started out running (well ok walking at first) on it for a half mile at the begining and ending of each run based on KenBob's suggestion and still try to most times. The sad thing is that half mile each way still kicks my....feet after over a year of this now. Its like fish tank gravel or something. Gravel on pavement has no use other than an exercise in how you can use one or two words as every part of speach.

I can't open the link (work

I can't open the link (work PC blocks it, makes me wonder what's there...) but I did just run a 5k on a gravel trail. It does slow you down a little due to the technical aspect of the run but as was already said, if you stay light footed and keep an eye out for larger stones it's not too bad.

19 months into this and I

19 months into this and I find the more my form has improved that the tougher surface conditions are getting better. I had one of those ah hah moments on a 5 mile route yesterday that a year ago would have given me fits. 2 miles gravel 3 miles serious chip seal and I did not cuss once. The only thing I can contribute this to is form as I am only able to get in about 10% of my weekly mileage BFR. It is deffinetly not due building up the soles of my feet significantly.

Necessary evil.

Necessary evil.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Necessary

Barefoot TJ said:
Necessary evil.

Yep. Means to an end. However, I've found my most enjoyable runs to be on gravel. Maybe it's because of the sense that I'm running on something natural. I wish there were more hiking trails to run on around here...You'd think the wichita mountains would offer some trails, but they are all entirely to gnarly for my barefeet yet. Mostly large uncrushed rocks and what not. Hard to walk there let alone run.

A nicely gravelled road is

A nicely gravelled road is good for the sole or soles if you will. It makes you appreciate how much your feet can and are actually designed to handle. Also the best surface to work on your form.

Closest I can come around my

Closest I can come around my neighborhood is that beebee size fetilizer on the sidewalk. It kinda sticks to the bottom of my feet. I've run on chip seal and chip seal with loose gravel on it is an eye opener! That was my first 5k race ever! It does knock the kinks right out of your form, but I also noticed the bones in my feet moving around and the muscles were wore out. Hard to remember to stay loose...only thing I really had to concentrait on.

I like streets with rain grooves, but my favorite surface to run on has to be cobble stone. I don't know what it is, but it just feels nice!

-Jonny

I love cobblestone too! I

I love cobblestone too! I got to run on some in Omaha.

I live on a gravel road and

I live on a gravel road and love running on the gravel, what I don't like is the gravel meets pavement spots where its nasty- I've learned to put shoes on if I'm running along the main road for the section at the end of all the little gravel roads, then take them back off for the pavement past that stretch and reverse coming home.. reminds me that might be the best route to run if the rain ever hits and I go out today (it's 95 degrees and humid, not running till the weather breaks... missed this AM and won't get to run tomorrow because I'm working at 2 hospitals).

I just have to say most

I just have to say most gravel sucks big time....its the hardest surface to run on...I do run on it now and then with not much joy!

There is gigantic differenes in gravel though...the man made gravel is just very difficult and sharp....the natural kind around rivers etc is very nice...and there is everything in between. So like pavement and trails it varies widely and you have find the right level to make it enjoyable but not too risky at the same time.

I ran a cross country team

I ran a cross country team grand prix with my shod running club yesterday. I took my new 6mm Invisible Shoes huaraches with me just in case. If I was running it with the GA BRS Chapter, I wouldn't have bothered with huaraches, since we're never in a hurry, but since they split us into teams, and some of these shoddies are highly competitive, I could tell they were pleased I had brought at least something to put on. HA! Mokie, this was serious trailage compared to Lullwater and Stone Mountain, where you and I have run trails before.

Anywho, we met at one of the running club member's home where she has tons of acreage. She has fields and woods. The driveway leading into the property is very, very long, and it's covered in shreds of roofing tiles, instead of being paved in asphalt or covered in gravel. This stuff, although it looked rough, was so comfy on the feet and kinda bouncey. She said she had it poured over the driveway, and the heat from the sun melts it together, so there's no need for tar or anything. Fantastic!

This thread reminds me of a

This thread reminds me of a run a couple of weeks ago. I was out with runningnash and runjeffro. Nash was in the lead. Something caught his eye to the right and we looked to see what he was looking at. Next thing you know Nash is cussing up a storm. He's dancing on some broken nut shells the squirrels left for us. We were too close to avoid it. Can you see it. 3 grown men barefoot dancing, laughing and cussing in the middle a green way. Ah good times.

That's why I always like to

That's why I always like to run behind other barefoot runners. ;-) Hee. They'll let you know if there's anything to avoid up ahead. Ha!

What a wonderful response.

What a wonderful response. I'm glad everyone is jumping in on this topic. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a love for gravel and what it does for my running. Just wish I had some cool gravel running stories to tell or something.

Aaron.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon