Garmins

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
I can't believe I am saying this but I am interested in getting a Garmin. I must be getting old. I have no clue about garmins, so any knowledge of them would be appreciated. I am not looking to spend a crazy amount of money, and don't care about heart monitors. Just something that gives me distance, pace, and time.

I don't know what the latest

I don't know what the latest versions are, but what I do know about the Garmin is this:

It's possibly THE best wrist GPS out there.

The Forerunner 205 is probably what you want, since it doesn't have all the bells and whistles and no HRM.

The Forerunner 305 is exactly like the 205, but it includes the HRM.

The Forerunner 405 has ALL the bells and whistles and an HRM, but will cost you a whole lot more than the 305.

I don't run with my 305 anymore (or any gadgets for that matter), since I know the distances of the routes I take, but I will tote it along if I'm somewhere I don't know the distance.

I love my 205.  I didn't want

I love my 205. I didn't want an HR, didn't see any need for one. I've very anti-extra stuff when it comes to running. I like to go with as little shoe as possible, which means barefoot most of the time. Cheap, simple clothes, nothing that I buy especially for running.

But my Garmin is the exception. It's my second favorite toy, after Perplexus.

I got the 305, I don't use

I got the 305, I don't use the HRM but I liked the size better then the 205. That was a few years ago so they may have changed. I'm no good at keeping logs and I usually change up my routes a lot so I use the Garmin for every run (unless I forget to charge it of course)

their lineup has changed a

their lineup has changed a lot in the last year or so. They now have a line of wrist watch size monitors that are better than anything they have offered to date and they are better by far. I run with the new 110 but they have also put out a 310 and 410 a believe that offer a lot of difference bells and whistles as the numbers gets bigger. My 110 is outstanding and I almost do not know how I ever ran without it. My only, and I mean only, complaint is that the running pace is not real time. It has about a 20-30 second lag which isnt bad but I believe the new 3 and 410 models have the real time pacing. The base price on these is around $200 for the 110 without heart rate and goes up from there. The price is worth it as this monitor can and will last you a very long time. They have internal batteries that are charged through USB so no worry about replacing batteries or anything.

Jimmy Hart wrote:their

Jimmy Hart said:
their lineup has changed a lot in the last year or so. They now have a line of wrist watch size monitors that are better than anything they have offered to date and they are better by far. I run with the new 110 but they have also put out a 310 and 410 a believe that offer a lot of difference bells and whistles as the numbers gets bigger. My 110 is outstanding and I almost do not know how I ever ran without it. My only, and I mean only, complaint is that the running pace is not real time. It has about a 20-30 second lag which isnt bad but I believe the new 3 and 410 models have the real time pacing. The base price on these is around $200 for the 110 without heart rate and goes up from there. The price is worth it as this monitor can and will last you a very long time. They have internal batteries that are charged through USB so no worry about replacing batteries or anything.

Hey Jimmy do you know if they are all like that? About the real time pacing? Or is it something specific with the 110?

I bought the Garmin 110

I bought the Garmin 110 earlier this year and love it. It's not as bulky, and I wasn't looking for anything too fancy other than distance and splits. Regarding the average pace, it's calcuated per lap, not over the entire run like the other Garmins can do. I've used the timing for track repeats before and it seemed fairly accurate.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7