Foam Rollers & Trigger Point Therapy

SaraLord

Administrator
Jun 23, 2010
Hello all,

I wanted to see if anyone has input or thoughts to share regarding the cruel and tortuous foam roller and trigger point therapy. I've been sidelined by PF since the beginning of 2011. After watching the Chicago Marathon (which I was registered for . . .), I've re-dedicated my very existence to the foam roller.

As many of you know, the runner's version of cabin fever isn't pretty.

The Soc Doc and Jesse James have some great posts about this, but I wanted to see what your experiences have been.

Sara

I had problems in the

I had problems in the extensor area of my right foot (behind the 3-5 toes) which has been handled very well by using the rolling pin on the trigger points on the peroneal muscles (outside edge of calf/shin).

so I guess my response would be: aside from the excruciating pain that was the first week of working on those areas it has worked really well!

Hi Sara!  Do you have

Hi Sara! Do you have insanely tight calves? I saw a massage therapist today for the second time. I am really hoping that the neuromuscular deep tissue massages along with reflexology will help my calves. It's something you might want to consider.

I had PF really really bad. I

I had PF really really bad. I could barely walk and went everywhere. I finally found a cure as all i have now is tender heels. I went to a chiropractor. I would have never gone to one if my friend did not talk me into it. It was the best decision i was forced to do. The chiropractor did the graston technique and then used a machine to massage it. I swear i have never felt pain like that before. But after 2nd time i felt great. I also use medi rub massager on my feet too. It was a miracle as before i could not go on five minute walks. You might want to try it but I will be honest as it is a lot of pain.

They take a metal tool and run up and down the calf and thighs. You might want to give it a try. Now i am trying trying to decide if I should buy a foam roller or a stick alternative. I use foam roller at the chiropractor.

I am not 100 percent but i would say i am 90 percent and can walk a couple miles now. Hope this helps as it did me and i was at the end of my rope. I could only walk 5- 10 mins before and never a couple miles. Now i am trying to get into barefoot to strengthen the muscles. Just my two cents.

Thanks TJ!  I haven't been

Thanks TJ! I haven't been able to find a MT who does deep tissue or trigger point therapy. My calves don't feel tight, I think it's my hips. The foam roller is truly a torture device, which must mean I need the work. I'm hoping other BFR's will share their experiences - any tidbit of advice is worth it.

Feeling this desperate isn't a good place to be.

Good luck with your massages and thanks for weighing in!

I found my massage therapist

I found my massage therapist through the local Herb Shop. You might try checking around at some of those "organic-type" places, like Whole Foods, and stuff like that. Anywhere hippies are likely to gather. ;-)

Hmmm, soap making, prius

Hmmm, soap making, prius driving, organic eating, non-shoe wearing hippies? I think I know the type . . . I'll poke around and see what I can find.

follow up: I saw chiropractor

follow up: I saw chiropractor this morning, wow, what a difference. She loves the foam roller, poked and prodded some bones and did this really painful massage on the soles of my feet. It seems I've been a little too hard with the golf ball.

Has anyone tried PVC pipe?

Smelph, my peroneal muscles don't love me right now because they have been targeted. Love the rolling pin idea.

My hubby uses a wooden

My hubby uses a wooden rolling pin on the backs of my legs sometimes, which hurts like hell, but the massage therapist said that only gets the surface tissue. She gets deeper than that, painfully so too.

Does that qualify as cross

Does that qualify as cross training??? I just bought a softball for the trigger points on my backside. . . it really gets in there, better than the roller.

Has anyone had luck with ultrasound?

I'm getting to this (thread)

I'm getting to this (thread) party a little late, however..............

I've used a foam roller a lot. It's great - and painful at the beginning. It gets better. It reached a point where I felt like I needed to do more:

* I got a PVC pipe. For my calves it was no problem (pain wise) - a walk in the park. It helped some. When I used it on the Peroneals it hurt like a SOB. I guess that helped me understand I had/have some work to do there.

* I heard of another technique for the calves that I really like. Get on the floor on all fours. Put the knee of one leg on top of the calf of the other leg. You can now use your body weight to push the knee into the calf. I go up and down and all around feeling for tight places. It works great.

Jim

On the second technique, it's

On the second technique, it's a killer, but free and really seems to get into those spots. Try it, all!

I didn't read everything here

I didn't read everything here in this thread but I wanted to throw in Golf Balls.

Yep, I keep golf balls in my office and if my Plantar is sore and stiff I take off my shoes and gring my foot aggressively on the golf balls rolling it from heel to toe applying as much pressure as I can stand. It has always eased the pain when the Plantar is sore.

I'm hoping a chiropracter is

I'm hoping a chiropracter is not who I'll need to see about this pain in my left calf, because my insurance doesn't cover chiropractic services. :(

Golf balls and the foam

Golf balls and the foam roller above definitely work! Everyone will find relief in slightly different ways, but here's what is working for me.

We've been travelling for the past month and since it's carry on luggage only, the foam roller had to stay home. I resorted to using the golf ball on my calves and thighs. If you get the right angle of your palm to the golf ball on your leg, you can really push it into the trigger points, rolling in tiny circles. I finally see the light at the end of my one year of fun with PF. You want to spend at least 30 minutes doing this each day - it will hurt but in a good way.

Dito to the golf ball.I also

Dito to the golf ball.

I also own one of this, very effective...the rumble roller.
thumbnail.aspx

SaraLord wrote:The rumble

SaraLord said:
The rumble roller looks like an instrument of torture!

It is!!! IMO but let me tell you those knobs go very deep and brake every single knot there is.

The first time I used it, it was soooo painful and the next day I was sock to see bruises from all the knots it broke up.

And like anything else it gets better the more you use it and it doesn't hurt if there are no knots to break up. It just gives you a nice deep tissue masage.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon