First MAF run

Sid, I was trying to give Maf method a chance. A year ago I ran a 5k race at an avg pace of 8:50/mile. After doing the Maf method for those three months even trying to push myself I couldn't even avg a 9 min pace over a 5k. To be honest I am still trying to get my speed back up, and am almost back up to where I was. I mostly run by perceived effort now too. I don't push myself too hard, but I also don't run at a Maf pace either. My hr is only 160'ish most of the time now. At least it is whenever I throw the hr strap on.

Reactions: Sid
Nick, you may have missed the part of doing maf tests. if you slow down or don't see stay flat, then switch up your training. it's not about going slow ALL the time.

MAF run two - 8km. Dropped to 8:00/km or thereabouts. IMO purely by better breathing. I can consciously drop my heart rate two to three points by focused, relaxed breathing.

I'll bet the initial gains are all about settling in to the rhythm, targeting the max HR better and breathing. I'll let the proof be in the pudding, though. You zealots can bench-race this one to your heart's content while I accumulate some data ;):eek: .

Third MAF run:

Dropped to 7:46/km over 8km. Even if it's good for nothing else, this MAF thing is really helping me to focus on efficiency: breathing, rhythm and economy of movement. I think because my brain isn't in that stressed-out state I have more bandwidth to think about what I'm doing and really process the feedback from my body.

I've noticed it takes about 3km of slow going and easily escalating HR, and then my body seems to shift into a different mode entirely. I find my HR dropping at the same perceived exertion and I'm actually surprised at how much more speed I need to dial in to get back to 133.

Cheers,
R

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway