? Dry Heaves ?

rik

Barefooters
Apr 11, 2011
Utah
Ok, confessions here :eek::eek:
as a new runner I was finishing my race and out of the blue. I started getting dry heaves. I did remember that it happened once on another race. Where do they come from ? I would be interested to know what if anyone knows the medical explanation for that response in the body ? Or any experience novice or expert. How can it be avoided ? or what causes them ? I have been a high school and college athlete and I have always had a tough stomach.

Please help, Rik:eek:

This is interesting to me because I have no idea what the answer is... but I think more clues are needed:

-how far was the race?
-what did you eat before, during, after the race?
-same question... but with drinks...
-what is your weekly training mileage and your long run - and have you experienced this on a long run?
-how long have you been running?
-have you ever experienced this in non-running?

This is interesting to me because I have no idea what the answer is... but I think more clues are needed:

-how far was the race?
-what did you eat before, during, after the race?
-same question... but with drinks...
-what is your weekly training mileage and your long run - and have you experienced this on a long run?
-how long have you been running?
-have you ever experienced this in non-running?
5k,
I ate good the night before.
On the morning of the race I had small amount of water and 1/2 of a bananna.
My weekly mileage has been 12-17miles.
I have been running bf about 19 months.
I have not ever experienced this in any sport or in any part of regular life.
The only thing I can trace it to is how hard I was pushing. As I backed off on my final approach it subsided
-rik

5k,
I ate good the night before.
On the morning of the race I had small amount of water and 1/2 of a bananna.
My weekly mileage has been 12-17miles.
I have been running bf about 19 months.
I have not ever experienced this in any sport or in any part of regular life.
The only thing I can trace it to is how hard I was pushing. As I backed off on my final approach it subsided
-rik

Next time try the same foods and see what happens. If it happens again try a whole banana, a handful of salted nuts, and more water. Did you get any cramping before the dry heaves?

I get these rik when I push the final sprint and I don't let up even though my body is screaming to stop. I think it's a natural reaction to a body being put under that much stress. I would not dry heave if I would just slow down a touch or maybe start my final sprint a little closer to the finish. No matter what I do food wise or drink wise I will get them IF I push that hard. Sounds to me that may be what you did because you were trying to beat a time.

5k short sprint. I was pushing extra hard in the race to beat my time

Hi Rik - one possible angle on the subject:

5k is a good distance for triggering puke. It's one of the most evil race distances of all. It's just short enough that we tend to run it completely in our anaerobic ranges (high pulse) but long enough that we really shouldn't spend quite that much time at that effort level. There are physiological reasons for it, I get lost on the medical terminology, but hormones enter the formula. Basically, running that pace for a shorter time probably won't induce the effect; likewise, running the same amount of time at a slower pace won't do it, either. It's the combination of the two and it's your body's way of saying STOP (or train a little longer before you try this again).

Food and nutrition one way or another probably won't make much difference at this kind of distance.

It's not dangerous, though, so enjoy the ride :eek:

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
As a non-physiologist, just speaking or writing, rather, from experience, I tend to agree with Mr. _g. I don't get them,but I don't push to pass those last 3 people ahead of me in the last 100 meters, either.

I thought pushing yourself to the point of dry heaves was good race strategy for a 5K. Puke before the race is over = ran too hard. Puke in the finisher's chute = PR! WOOT! WOOT!

Incidentally, I won a beer stein in a 5K on the 4th of July for placing in my age group. I didn't dry heave, but it felt terrible. It was over 90 degrees.

It was a new ninja skill discovered. The first time it happened. I was approaching a group of three or four runners at the end of the 5k, out of the blue a huge dry heave:eek: it scarred all of them and they slowed down. I was running flat out like a lizard and continued running. It was not a proud moment, but I am learning. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Dry heaves during running/biking are one of the ways I found out I had asthma. I didn't know it at the time, but I would be in the midst of a mild-moderate asthma attack and essentially choke, triggering dry heaves. Now that I've been diagnosed and treated for asthma i haven't had issues.

The conditions around my attack/heaves were similar to yours...shorter distance at high effort. Just another perspective to consider.

Was it hot?

The ambient air temp, not the dry heaving. ;)

I have a theory, though it's not my own. As the body heats up due to exercise, it attempts to cool itself. When exercise generates too much heat for sweating and the passive measures (conduction, convection, and radiation) to dissipate, the body resorts to other measures. Blood is normally diverted from mechanism like digestion toward the skin to create a "radiator" effect with the evaporative cooling of sweat. When core temp continues to rise from pushing hard in a 5k, the dry heaves are an attempt to get rid of all food that would normally need to be digested, thus allowing more blood to be diverted toward the skin.

My suggestion- either slow down or cool down. Run shirtless. Also, try wearing a bandana filled with ice around your neck. The conductive heat loss will help keep body temps down.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon