Does the road surface change with the cold?

Pain becomes different too. The little pebble that is nothing at 41F / 5 C can become painful at 23 F /-5 C. You're also more likely to injure yourself, stub your toe, or land badly, when your feet start to numb up a bit, so you got to be extra vigilante about good form, especially at faster paces...

I noticed this too last year. Along with winter came tons of little chips on the road, not sure if they came along with the salt truck or what. These little chips wouldn't have been a big deal in summer I don't think, but they made it impossible for me to run without pain. I couldnt handle much cold either, just in the 30's I'd be numb, and even trying to pay close attention to picking my feet up and landing softly and I would have burning soles for a few hours after my runs. I havent done much cold weather running yet myself this year, so the jury is still out on what I can handle now after a full year.

Sure, you can do it like that, but you'll be dead in 10 years or less and fat before that. Boredom kills!

Don't worry Joseph, in this daydream a little bird popped out of the Swiss clock stoically ticking away on the wall and chirped "cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo. I came to my senses and thought to myself "wouldn't be cool if i dyed my beard bright blue!" followed by "I still haven't ticked B.A.C.E jumping off on my bucket list yet, i must check my diary an set a date" ;)

Reactions: Robin and Bare Lee
A little late to the show here, sorry about that. I just posted a blog post on my 4km run at lunch today. Includes a quick 35 sec video and a couple of pics. Temps were about -16 C with the wind chill and it was gusty wind out of the north west (of course I was travelling mostly north and west :D.
As Bare said, make sure you have backup with you at all times, and if you can't feel the pads of your feet anymore get them on. One of my favorite sayings is 'Numb Feet are Dumb Feet' , and that is when you usually get hurt.

http://winnipegbarefootrunners.blogspot.ca/2012/11/barefoot-winter-running-yes-through-snow.html

I always liked a good mantra Bob so thanks for that:) The video on your blog is not showing for me though. -16 C barefoot, now that's hardcore!

Reactions: Robin and Bare Lee
I always liked a good mantra Bob so thanks for that:) The video on your blog is not showing for me though. -16 C barefoot, now that's hardcore!

Hmmm, not sure why the video is not showing, will have to check into that. I did notice when I tried to watch it at work after uploading it, it wasn't there but then i remembered that the office has disabled video feeds from the net. It worked fine at home though.

Well I just got back from an eight mile run barefoot in -2, and I must say all the feedback from this thread worked wonders, in fact I had very little if any discomfort at all!
I made sure I warmed up properly first, as Joseph suggested.
Concentrated on stepping lightly, as Barefoot Gentile suggested.
Took my shoes for backup as, Bare Lee suggested.
And monitored my feet for numbness as barefooting Bob suggested.
All in all a success I would say. I'm certainly in a better place than I was a few days ago, so thanks for all your feedback barefoot community:)
Now instead of dreading the winter I'm viewing it as a fresh challenge which is all quite exciting really.

I'm guessing thats -2ºC which is still pretty darn cold to me. -2ºF would be a whole different world of pain though!

Both possible, 8 miles at -2 F would be a little dicey but if the right conditions are there it can be done. ;)

I'm guessing thats -2ºC which is still pretty darn cold to me. -2ºF would be a whole different world of pain though!

Yup -2C, sorry for the typo.

Should I be thinking about shorter distances in colder temps? I mean 8 miles has been my Goldilocks run for a good while now, not too short, not too far but just right.
Are there other things to be thinking about like heavily breathing in sub-zero air for long periods of time? Would It be wise to wear something over my nose and mouth?
Just scratching around here people, hope you don't mind my persistence, but I feel this is a subject that warrens full attention, planning and respect.

+1 Numb Feet are DUMB feet

I've run almost 800 km barefoot in the winter, over the last three years. Bring backup. Start with short loops so you can easily bail. Your feet will be more sensitive as the temperature drops.

Good luck and run safely.

I did 5.5 km today at -14°C.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon