Did my first 10K!

White Horse

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2012
Abu Dhabi
So after much thought and walk/run barefoot workouts these last 4 weeks or so, I finally did my first official 10k on Nov9th.
I finished 1:39:25 (yes I know that super slow :), but being my first time I wasnt racing anyways)
I alternated between long walks and short runs at about an average of 9.5min/km.
Thats me running the final 100m to the finish :D
544718_10151097273982477_701665982_n.jpg

I was the only barefooter in the 10k, not sure about the 5k, as they started 15mins after, but I think there were none there too.
A runner beside me, at the beginning, took a picture of my feet before overtaking me :) (she asked permission first though) Then I heard a few exclamations of 'barefoot??' from 2 -3 other people. But on the whole noone seemed to mind :D

During the first 5k, I sort of stubbed the ball of my right foot on a raised brick (you know the gaps between paved stones, where the sand has blown away so leaving hollow spaces and top that with uneven paved stones... wasnt prepared for that) so I had to slow my pace to be sure it didnt happen again. The next half, the pavement was more even and I was able to quicken it a bit.
As a first aid, I stopped, massaged the ball of my foot and then later after the 5k mark, poured a bottle of cold water on it and stepped on sand (instant cushion against future bumps) and continued run/walk till the 10k.

The route was scenic on one side, along the crest of the palm on the Palm Jumeriah (near the Atantis Hotel), so the great blue sea with the city shrouded in early morning mists.
The only downside was the tons of construction on the other side, so even though there was plenty of gravel, I couldnt risk running on it, as it was too close to the construction and could have hid rusty objects, which I know I am not yet ready for.

Overall the experience was really nice and today (after 2 days), I feel more or less good. The area around the knee on my right leg is a bit sore and so is the ball of my foot on that leg too were I stubbed it, but otherwise all good. :)

Planning to take the next 5 days or so off, with only light barefoot walking and then back to short 30min workouts again 5 days a week as before.
(since I started barefoot running, I have had only 2 workouts per week till the race day. The rest were long rest periods as I did a bit of distance on my workout days)

That's great!
You haven't been barefooting very long, so it's good you played it conservatively, but still had a wonderful time and challenged yourself.
Where was the 10K?
the scenery is pretty.

Reactions: White Horse
..and we only run against ourselves, truly. Congrats on your first barefoot 10K!

Congrats, the first one is always the most memorable one, and time is relative, as long as you had fun that is all that matters.