Cross Check Bib # With Chip #?

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Any of you guys ever bother?
Today I ran a 5K race timed with chronotrack B-tag and was thrilled with my personal wristwatch time of 29:11 since I've barely been running (but of course running bare) this year due to my neck crisis.
Imagine the thrill I got seeing MY name with MY bib # listed at 22:44 for a pace of 7:19!
Thoughts were racing through my head...do I really go up to the awards podium and accept my 3'rd place finish? (men 55-59) Won't half of the people there remember that the barefoot guy came in slower than that? What about all those with slower times who commented on my feet as they PASSED me during the final mile? Well, as they revised the printouts I slid to fourth, but still was being attributed the same blazing time. No awards ceremony trip in front of the crowd, so no real dilema anymore.
Turned out they only went two deep anyways, despite the 3,000 entrants.
Once home the error became obvious.....the bib number was one digit off of the number stamped on the chip! Scanning the results online I found my guy, a 46 year old with my REAL time and a bib # the same as my chip #. I easily found him on Facebook, and PM'd him with the scoop. Have'nt heard back from him yet, but if he does'nt respond, I'll just keep the time I guess.
So the real ethics question will become:
If someone ever taps me to become their running mate in a presidential campaign, during an interview if I'm asked what my best 5K time was......do I claim 22:44?
I mean it can be proven easily with an online search, right?
So....anyone ever cross check their bib # with the chip #? I will, next time it probably WON'T be an error in MY favor!

Reactions: Lomad and Sid
No, I think it's just fine to claim the faster time as long as you don't remember what your actual time is. It does look better if the two times are within an hour of each other, though, meaning to say you won't catch any sh*t from the sissy liberal media.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Interesting. I think you are an honest guy though, Board, and you would never claim something that doesn't belong to you. Let us know if the guy responds and what he says.

Thanks Chris,
Having a great 5773 so far!

If someone ever taps me to become their running mate in a presidential campaign, during an interview if I'm asked what my best 5K time was......do I claim 22:44?

They would track down this thread within a few minutes.

You could have said you ran 21:05 in a time trial on the track. That would only be lying, and nobody can prove you wrong. But misrepresenting the results of a specific race is closer to cheating.

Now if you run for vice president, nobody will believe you ran 22:44 unless you can do it in another race. Even then there will be conspiracy theorists who demand to see your original bib and chip.

As the thread creator I have the ability to delete it.
It will be interesting to review the FB timeline of the candidates in 2032.

Due to this one incident, representing 1/6,234,765th of all race results nationwide, I call for immediate implementation of a photo-ID requirement of all would-be podium places.

Reactions: Bare Lee
I mean it can be proven easily with an online search, right?
favor!

First of congratulations on your race!
An absulute NO, NO, NO to claim the other guy's time...you know better.

Interesting. I think you are an honest guy though, Board, and you would never claim something that doesn't belong to you. Let us know if the guy responds and what he says.

He didn't respond yet, and checking his FB timeline he seems like someone who never really will. (like one activity per year)
So.....being the honest guy TJ knows me to be, I went a step further and scanned his list of friends.
Found one that is a web designer who went to high school with him, and figuired that he would reply quickly to FB PM's and would have an email connection to the runner as well.
Explained the situation to him in a PM , but no response as of tonight.
I tried my best, but just might have to live with the stygma of a 22:44 5K that refuses to be expunged.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
First of congratulations on your race!
An absulute NO, NO, NO to claim the other guy's time...you know better.

Muchos Gracias Dama,
Beat your BF 5K PR by 1:10!
And sticking with my story until a week from Wednesday.
Then it dies.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
As the thread creator I have the ability to delete it.
It will be interesting to review the FB timeline of the candidates in 2032.
You can never delete it. Well you may try but I have screen shot it! j/k
I always check my bib tag info but I've never checked the chip. Last year I got the wrong packet and didnt realize it until I was home. Our numbers were off by like one digit. It was the day before the race, and I wasnt driving all the way back to the city. On race morning I turned it in and they had my real packet. I hope the gal who's packet I got didnt try and pick it up before, that would be pretty frusterating trying to get your packet and they dont have it. I wonder what they wiould do? Can they make up a new one on the spot?

Muchas Gracias Dama,
Beat your BF 5K PR by 1:10!
And sticking with my story until a week from Wednesday.
Then it dies.

Cheater!!!

Well, I've got a slightly different perspective on this question.

You say that your watch time was 29:11. Well, according to http://www.paulryantimecalculator.com/ , your Paul Ryan-adjusted time was actually 21:00, which is even better than the tortoise-like 22:44 that you were originally considering cheating with using.

I say, if you're going to lie, lie the Paul Ryan way that makes you look the best. Why settle for second best? :)

Reactions: BFwillie_g

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon