Couple more questions

Run Just Run

Barefooters
May 18, 2011
Got some questions....

1.) I just started running and every time I go, I always end up with a stomach cramp and it always happens somewhat fast. I always go after dinner and wait about a half hour to 45 min. And I'll grab a gulp of something right before as well. Is it just bad to run after dinner?

2.) I also notice my joints crack a lot. I should say "tick" a lot lol. Usually during and after the run are when it happens more frequent, but generally all the time. Mornings are also quite loud lol. I currently don't take any vitamins as I am weary of them causing more harm then good. I've heard mixed things about taking supplements so I've strayed away, but if there are natural ones I'm down to try em'. Any ideas?

3.) I am also looking into possibly altering my diet to one that would benefit a runner in specific. Hoping that it will help with endurance, recovery, and the stomach cramps during my runs. Any ideas?

4.) My knee still kind of bothers me during my run. Not sure if its my form or what, but it kinda annoys me. I'm wondering if I should wear a brace to help correct any funky knee motions? Any of you guys use a brace, or does it get in the way of learning good form?

Thanks for all your help in advance,

-Alex

Other than point number 1 I

Other than point number 1 I feel your pain. luckily number 2 is a rare occurrence for me. As for your diet it might be worth it to try "the paleo solution". For my knee I shortened my stride and bent them more, I did that by paying special attention to how I felt. This ones all about listening to your body. Also, when I get tired I find I tend to get hurt then over any other time. I hope this helps.

Barefoot Kean.

For #1: the rule of thumb for

For #1: the rule of thumb for longer distances is 2 hours between a meal and a run. That's what I usually follow for my long runs and have had no problems. That said, I have gone out within 45 minutes of a meal and have had stomach problems, so from my experience I would say you may want to avoid running that soon after a meal. These days if I don't have a couple hours to spend I usually run on an empty stomach, or maybe with a very small snack and then eat a meal afterward.

Hope that helps!

stomach cramps- could be too

stomach cramps- could be too soon after y ou eat- I wait more like 2 hours.. or it could be dehydration.. doubt its lack of glycogen if its that soon after eating.

diet wise, I posted what I learned recently (I am a dietitian and attended a seminar on sports nutrition) over in the health forum a few days ago. Supplements are fine if you aren't getting all nutrition from food, especially water soluble vitamins.. but check with your doc first if you can..

Thanks!  I will look into

Thanks! I will look into that diet!!

I also wanted to ask when I should rest. I ran for 3 days straight, only doing a mile at most. First day I only did half a mile. But i was able to go the full mile the next two days. My calves feel very tight, and kind of weak. Going downstairs is kind of a chore now lol. So I think as much as I don't want to I am going to take the weekend off, and let them heal for this coming week.

Still got some unanswered questions up there let me know you guys have any tips.

1.  Try running before dinner

1. Try running before dinner to see if that changes/stops your stomach cramps.

2. My friend had that click you're talking about. Hers went on for months and months, never caused her any pain, then it just stopped (either suddenly or over a short period of time, trying to remember exactly). I recall from one of your other posts that you're new to running? Questions: Do your clicks cause you pain? How long have you had these clicks? Did they start after you started running, or did you have them before you became a runner?

3. Not my area, sorry.

4. I would try to work on my form first, If I were you. Lots of people find that have to make minor tweaks here or there, but are able to resolve whatever issue they were working through.

5. You have to determine what amount of rest is right for you, your activity level, and frequency. It sounds like you've already made a smart decision by waiting to let your calves recover over the weekend, so you can start fresh for next week.

I have lots of pops and

I have lots of pops and cracks, but none of them are painful. I remember reading, if there is no pain with it, it's not harmful. When mine do it in the morning, it actually feels pretty good.

So far, for me, let your body be your guide works for rest time. When I get the itch to run, I run. If I'm still sore, I don't. Hard for me to go more than a couple days.

-Jonny

The clicks don't cause me any

The clicks don't cause me any pain. I generally have had it for a while now, can't really remember how long lol. I was thinking about taking some Glucosomine in hopes that it might help. Yeah totally glad I rested today. My right calf in particular is more sore for some reason.

Did you have this click

Did you have this click before becoming a runner though?

Yeah I always kind of noticed

Yeah I always kind of noticed it. It's not bad, but sometimes my ankles like to make some nice loud cracks as well as my feet. But I do notice once I finish my run, and sometimes during it they will click and clack. I'm hoping once I get into good physical shape it will slowly dissapate, but who know's. And I'm wondering if my knee issue is flaring up because my legs were worn out from running for 3 days. I only noticed it acting up on the first day a little, and it was the worst on my 3rd day. Maybe my legs weren't keeping the pressure off my knee's? Shoulda wen't to medical school...

Maybe you need one extra day

Maybe you need one extra day of rest. It could be that you need to build up your quad muscles, the muscles that support your knee. Perhaps you should do extra exercises concentrating on those areas.

Here's my take on your

Here's my take on your questions, and bear in mind I'm new to all this so technically I'm not qualified. What I have done, is read and listen a lot so far. I'm not usually brief, but I'll try to be.

1. I'd agree that running too soon after a meal is bad. I run on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.

2. I creak and crack all the time, and it's getting worse. If it doesn't hurt, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. I'm a beer drinking stoner. Next question.

4. I tried braces and did more damage than good. Bend your knees and go slower. Don't run two days in a row until you're vastly more experienced. I run every other day and that's worked great at keeping my underqualified body recovering enough between runs... and I had fairly bad knee problems (which are now gone.)

I'm up to 4 mile runs after two months -- with zero knee pain.

Good luck, dude!

Sweet!!  Thats awesome!! I

Sweet!! Thats awesome!!

I hate knee pain ughh....It so nagging once it gets started, and really just ruins the run. I have a feeling it will improve once my legs are dialed in. For some reason I noticed that my right calf is more sore then the other one lol. I'm going to take one more day of rest just because it's still pretty sore, and I want them to be nice and rested.

One newb to another, sounds

One newb to another, sounds like you were probably favoring that leg. I favored my right leg over the left since I'd had surgery on my left knee...was just out of habbit. This style of running made all knee pain go away for me, but I've also been taking Glucosamine for a couple years so that may help too. I still have to focus on running even and not favoring either leg. A really good calf stretch from all angles, straight knee, bent knee, foot turned in, turned out, etc right after a run and warm, will help. So does the rolling pin massage rolling from the bottom to the top of your calf. I also massage my feet with lotion after a run. Those few things keep me from being sore or as much so. Never stretch cold though...that's a good way to get hurt.

Before I run, I will flex my feet, do some toe raises, flex my calves, run in place hitting all angles I could encounter with my feet and just get a little loose before I take off.

-Jonny

Have you tried glucosimine?

Have you tried glucosimine? I used to click and pop and took them for a few months and haven't had issues since. Well once in a while my knees will click and I'll just stretch them and get them to pop and I'll be fine.

Another thing that could cause it is if you have been increasing your distance or time on feet. Whenever you ramp up your distance you should give your body and extra day or two of rest to recover.

Regarding stomach cramps, have you experimented with different types of foods prior to a run? Maybe your body is trying to tell you that you are eating something it doesn't really care for.

...I'll try this again - I

...I'll try this again - I erased the first one somehow.

1> You're a newbie and will ache some after running. Epxect it and note where and how much based on adjustments you're making to your form.

2> You're only running for 10 or 15 minutes. You won't faint for lack of anything. Eat dinner after your run.

3> You're going to click and pop. (See #1.) My favorite time to assess my body's condition is just before getting out of bed in the AM. If it seems sore or tight, take a few minutes and stretch ankles, calves or whatever before launching into your day.

4> I forgot what your numbers referred to. You'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Have fun!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts