Confessions of a Barefoot Runner

Not yet.  I invited him last

Not yet. I invited him last night. We'll see.

I would nominate myself for

I would nominate myself for poster child for the "logical imperative" BFTed describes. I read the book and felt the need move in me to run. I started out running purely, if slowly, barefoot before encountering any of the wonderful Blogs, like Ted's or Ken Bob's, or this most illustrious BRS.

Yes Ultras!!!I loved reading

Yes Ultras!!!

I loved reading in Born To Run about the origins of Badwater & Western States 100 & Leadville...I live maybe 2 hours from Leadville, CO so now I don't have any excuses! Someday I'm totally gonna do it...years from now I'm sure though. It's gonna take some training in the mountains :)

Ultras are the next goal for

Ultras are the next goal for me, I tried a 50 km this year, but had to DNF at 48 km due to a pulled groin (a lot of people thought it was the bare feet, and were surprised when they found out what it actually was). I have 3 or 4 - 50 kms planned for next year with a 50 miler thrown in for fun, and hope to onto the 100 milers in 2 to 3 years. And yes the ultras were partly inspired by reading Born To Run, and they just sounded like fun.

Barefoot Mary wrote:...years

Barefoot Mary said:
...years from now I'm sure though. It's gonna take some training in the mountains :)

The air up there makes it tough... I remember when I was in CO Springs for 2 weeks. After 5 years at sea level, I was out of breath after a few flights of stairs. :p

I haven't read Born To Run

I haven't read Born To Run either. All my barefoot instruction was from the origina RW BFR forums and then when BRS opened from this site.

I will agree....BTR turned me

I will agree....BTR turned me on to BFR, but it really wasn't as much about BFR as I thought it would be. I really wanted to run ultras more than kick off my shoes.

Mike wrote:Barefoot Mary

Mike said:
Barefoot Mary said:
...years from now I'm sure though. It's gonna take some training in the mountains :)

The air up there makes it tough... I remember when I was in CO Springs for 2 weeks. After 5 years at sea level, I was out of breath after a few flights of stairs. :p

I know!!! I was training for a marathon when I moved to CO and it knocked me right down to lil bitty runs (combined with barefoot training 1 mile at a time...)

I live at 5,300 feet but that's nothing compard to Leadville. Leadville is at 10,100 feet. Ugh. Makes me tired just thinkin about it :shock:

Mike, if I'm not mistaken

Mike, if I'm not mistaken Leadville is actually the lowest point of the race and the race climbs out of town. The course isn't exactly flat either...