Competitive cornering – How to take a sharp corner barefoot.

Zetti

Barefooters
Feb 17, 2012
So today I was pushing my speed a little bit and noticed that cornering on cement (sidewalk) is much more difficult than on grass where I can plant aggressively. I know it’s not ideal form to do this but it’s all I know. Do you guys have any pointers on cornering BF or do I just need to toughen up my soles??

I say its far easier to corner on pavement than grass...little risk of slipping on pavement. If your worried about the wear and tear of the pavement on your skin then you need to run on on pavement more. I try to avoid grass running mostly...its ok but if I have to pay that much attention to the ground then I would rather run on regular wooded trails.

I say its far easier to corner on pavement than grass...little risk of slipping on pavement. If your worried about the wear and tear of the pavement on your skin then you need to run on on pavement more.

Makes sense as I took this winter off of BF running =(
I have tender soles...and am a tender soul, lol

I run at least two miles on pavement every day and tight corners (not sweeping ones, but really sharp ones) hurt like hell. I have to slow way down. Pivoting on the sole of my foot is very painful.

I hear that with the tender feet, I took 4 months off from barefooting this winter.
For sharp turns you have to slow down anyways so try to slow down a bit sooner and take shorter steps before the turn...the short choppy cadence will help with the pivoting on the skin. Make sure and smile or it won't work as good!

Ya, slow down and stutter steps. It's still gonna hurt, because BF sucks for cornering on pavement, but at least you'll be distracted with form considerations. If you want true excellence in running surfaces, find your local trails that can be run on BF. There's nothing like packed dirt or forest litter trail running. Even the right kind of rocky trails can be wonderfully challenging. You won't run fast, but, boy will your attention be held!

Once you start to get your BF form dialed in, and if you want to run on rougher surfaces or race on nasty roads or trails, you can consider using Minimalist shoes as tools of the moment. For that sort of thing I love my Vibram Bikilas (despite what some folks say.)

Yah...i've been taking them fine until I started speeding up.
@ Mokaman: I will indeed keep smiling =) I like your style
@ JosephTree: I've been dying to get on some trails. There are a few by me that I plan on hitting up once I get the time. Cant wait. I'll see where this whole thing takes me and if I decide I just can't sacrifice the speed decrease Ill slap some minshoes on. Trying to avoid it at all costs however....I have too much fun BF! :)

Try to go out wide and then cut the corner and go out wide again. Then you don't have to slow down. Also, lean into the curve a little. Not sure how fast you are going, but I haven't had any trouble doing corners except for not seeing if any vehicles are coming (another reason to take the corner wide).