Columbus OH Saturday 5/5/12

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
Cap City Half Marathon, quarter, and 5k is tomorrow morning. Wasnt sure if any other barefooters will be there? I had some registration issues but eventually did get signed up for the 5k. This will be my first bf race, but I wont really be racing since I havent done any speed work bf yet. I have a friend running (shod) and she runs at a pace that isnt too much quicker than a fast jog for me so it works out well. Hopefully I can just keep up with her... she may beat me for once! But my goal is to just take it easy and avoid hurting myself since its unfamiliar terrain. I've done bf now 4-4.5 miles the last 4 runs, and trying to run at maf which was still a pretty slow pace of 12-13min but had been running 9-10min pace before I started wearing the hrm a few weeks ago so I think I should be ok to shoot for 9 min pace this time.

Reactions: Gidds
All went well at the race. It was really crowded, I forget exactly but 10-15,000 racers I think it was. I wore my garmin forerunner and it reported the course was much longer than 5k, it reported 3.53 and its never been off my more than .1 This corresponds to our seemingly slow times and pace reported on the race's website results. Garmin had us (I ran along side my friend Amber) at 8:56 pace which is right on, we were trying to maintain ~8:30 but for the first half mile we were kind of stuck in a crowd. But I dont ever recall being over 10min which is what the website says our average was. Total time was 31:35. But according to my garmin we hit 3.1 @ 27:40 which corresponds to our average pace of 8:56.

I am pleased with my first ever bf race! And my feet held up great! I didnt get to do much warmup or cooldown other than walking a few blocks to get there, and my calves are a little tight today but thats about it. The course is new this year and followed much of the Scioto river including passing through a couple parks. I like this much better than previous years where it was mainly just downtown streets.

I think I'll be ready for a 10k in another month or so!

Tristan, I've noticed this very thing too before. I think all the weaving around people and if you take corners wider or narrower can affect the personal distance traveled. Good job none the less!

Thanks Nick! Yeah I am sure weaving and cornering affects the distance as well, but not sure about that much. I've run the same race twice before and weaved all over and around (its always running in a crowd at that race, there were 1400 on the results chart for the 5k alone), and have come in the 27 minute range at my friends pace. The start and finish is the same for the 5k, quarter, and half, I wonder if they set the distance based on the half, and then chose a 5k course route that was as close as possible but not exactly 5k.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts