Built in form quality indicator?

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I've been doing some work on my upper body lately, getting ready for some hilly trail races. I just noticed today that I have a side effect developing. As I started my run today, and my form was not good or smooth, my "chest" started to make itself, or, rather, themselves, very uncomfortably mobile. Whoa! Bend those knees! Speed up that cadence! Ahhhh! Much better!

Is this unique to me or has any other BF runner had this experience?

Are you talking about the

Are you talking about the "wobble?" :innocent:

I'm trying to keep this clean

I'm trying to keep this clean here. Wobble?

I'm talking about soft tissue (relatively) and eccentric momentum, especially the randomly oscillating kind.

I've always assumed that with

I've always assumed that with the exception of very short sprints (like the 100 meter) upper body muscle is best kept minimal for the maximum running performance.

Yes, LB, I thought so as

Yes, LB, I thought so as well, and shed most of what I could over the last year. I sort of missed my upper body strength when I was running trails and looked for some extra umph! to get up the hills. I have 2 hard trail runs scheduled this month.

I'm still 15 pounds lighter than my last race back in July. I might probably back off some on the pushups, though I still build when I climb trees for work on a regular basis.

I thought the extra weight of

I thought the extra weight of the muscle especialy uphill would slow you down by more than it would help.

As with cycling or aviation, weight uphill is more important than power.

Just guessing about running though, never really researched it.

It's one of those things that

It's one of those things that are sort of hard to tell past the anecdotal level. I'm a sample of 1.

I do kind of like feeling a little bit hulky. I think I will lighten up on the lats and pectorals and put my efforts more into fast twitch muscle development in my legs by doing more of the Mark Cucuzella fancy prancing sorts of excercises.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7