Another kind of BFR - Brafree Running

jschwab

Barefooters
Jun 16, 2010
OK, we're all so weird with our bare feet I thought it would be OK to post this even though we don't have a TMI forum. I forgot my sports bra today (Enell which I got purely for aesthetic reasons but I have others) and wore my Playtex soft cup street bra for my run instead - 95 degree heat, 4.5 miles (just for context no Bodyglide). I could not believe how much more breathable it wasthan a sports bra. I was cooler and I swear I ran better and faster. I got a nice runner's high and easily switched it into high gear for a tempo run (I made a nice 180 cadence, too). I have worn it before many times for runs, but this was the first time I noticed how much more heat it shed. It clearly made a performance difference. And then I thought - what if I didn't wear one at all? I have big DDD boobs, but they are superlight and running in a crappy bra doesn't hurt at all. I know little gals go braless but I think it would be too weird to see a barefoot DDD running around town. But it's SO tempting. Any alternatives? I just want something superbreathable.

Yikes, JSchwab!  Ouch if you

Yikes, JSchwab! Ouch if you do go braless. I enjoy running in the dark with just my sports bra on, no top (bottoms on, of course). It is very liberating and refreshing.

WOW, I couldn't imagine

WOW, I couldn't imagine free-boobin' it, but let us know how it works out for you. I've considered just wearing a running top with a built-in shelf-bra.

I think the other thing I was

I think the other thing I was thinking about was gait and balance. My boobs are a big percentage of my body mass (40DDD's). I felt like running in my floppy street bra improved my gait and form. It felt more natural than strapping them down in the Enell. It made me wonder about the small effects of smushing on form and, by extension, performance and also effects of compression on lung capacity and aerobic efficency. I dreamed about going bare and feeling the breeze through my shirt. I was much faster last night that usual. My boobs are very light, though - I only produced an ounce a day of breastmilk (you read that right) so I think there is virtually no dense tissue in there. Sorry so rambly with this - it's my new cavewoman obsession.

I have 36DDs and I can't

I have 36DDs and I can't imagine running braless - wait, I can imagine it. I've run down the street for a short time without and, just, OW. If it works for you, that's great. I know some of the smaller-breasted runners just wear a built-in shelf bra and I have imagined how wonderful it must feel to run without the weight of these things.

But I think the Enell (I have one) is particularly smushy and constricting. How about just trying a different, less-restrictive sports bra? I have a Champion Double Dry that I love and that has a totally different feeling than the Enell. I've also heard that the Moving Comfort Fiona works well for larger-breasted women - it is on my list to try.

I have alot of other ones

I have alot of other ones I've tried - I find that they are not so breathable. I like the Lunaire, too, but it has stuffy layers. My mom has a moving comfort bra that is light and airy but not so supportive - maybe I'll try that.

Yes, Jimmy, you just keep

Yes, Jimmy, you just keep picturing that...

I'm average in size (C cup)

I'm average in size (C cup) and can't imagine running with no bra, but I bet it would be nice. The sports bra I have that I like best is from a mart store and I take it off the minute I get home because the thing makes me very hot. Yuck!

I'm less then well-endowed

I'm less then well-endowed with a B/C cup. Personally I find that my heart rate monitor strap actually provides decent support. I wouldn't consider running without a bra, but I doubt I'd find it terribly uncomfortable if I was wearing the monitor.

Peace,

Karen

Is this thread headed into a

Is this thread headed into a bloody nipples discussion next?

Imight have something to offer then... :(

I wore the Enell again today

I wore the Enell again today which I decided really does restrict way too much movement in the back and shoulders and reduces lung capacity. My cadence dropped from 180 to 160 and I felt less efficient. I'm on the hunt now for a minimalist running bra. Man, BFR created a monster. Soon, I'll be jury-rigging my own.

LavaRunner wrote:Is this

LavaRunner said:
Is this thread headed into a bloody nipples discussion next? Imight have something to offer then... :(

Ha, again!

Talk about minimalist.

Talk about minimalist. Pretty soon you'll be running naked. My writer friend did just that and then wrote about it:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/body-confidence

(I loved that essay!)

I have started to experiment

I have started to experiment with less bra, too. Sports Bras (the ones I have, at least) are really hot, but not nice enough to wear without a shirt on top. I ran in one of my regular underwire bras with a little stretchy "bralette" on top once, and it worked great, except that one spot on the straps rubbed a little. It wouldn't have been good for a long run.

I tried to run in a very simple cotton/bamboo shelf-bra style dealie, and it wasn't good. I run pretty smoothly, but still just about hurt myself in it.

I think I'll keep running in mind next time I go bra shopping.

I googled "alternatives to

I googled "alternatives to sports bras" like I googled "alternatives to running shoes" way back when, and the only thread I found that talked about it was a woman recommending the very same street bra I wore the other day on my run. Great minds think alike? Runnin naked sounds lovely.

blue wrote:Talk about

blue said:
Talk about minimalist. Pretty soon you'll be running naked. My writer friend did just that and then wrote about it: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/body-confidence (I loved that essay!)

Blue, have you seen our feature piece on the BRS's home page about BRS member Hank Gigowiz Greer running the 25th Bare Buns Fun Run at a nudist camp barefoot? If not, check it out; it's hysterical.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7