Another kind of BFR - Brafree Running

Barefoot TJ wrote:blue

Barefoot TJ said:
blue said:
Talk about minimalist. Pretty soon you'll be running naked. My writer friend did just that and then wrote about it: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/body-confidence (I loved that essay!)

Blue, have you seen our feature piece on the BRS's home page about BRS member Hank Gigowiz Greer running the 25th Bare Buns Fun Run at a nudist camp barefoot? If not, check it out; it's hysterical.

I just saw it today and came back to read it just now!

jschwab wrote:I googled

jschwab said:
I googled "alternatives to sports bras" like I googled "alternatives to running shoes" way back when, and the only thread I found that talked about it was a woman recommending the very same street bra I wore the other day on my run. Great minds think alike? Runnin naked sounds lovely.

Just curious, what bra was it? I am seriously looking for an Enell alternative. I have shrunk out of the Enell I have and I agree with you, it's just a boob and lung coffin. (Hee!)

I went for my morning run in

I went for my morning run in my regular old Wacoal underwire bra. I chose this particular bra because it has "convertible" straps, so I made them cross in the back so I had no strap-slipping issues. I was very pleasantly surprised at its performance. If I can find a non-underwire one that fits as well as this one does, I think I'll ditch the sport bras altogether. (Except maybe for in the winter, when I need all the insulation I can get)

Shacky - instead of the

Shacky - instead of the Nathan vest, we should all try this:

http://www.shefinds.com/2010/meet-the-wine-rack-bust-enhancer-secret-booze-container/

Yea jschwab - since I've gone barefoot, I definitely need less support.

I've been running either in a tank with a built-in shelf or in this - which is light and offers minimal support.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3645565&cp=3677318.3737272.3693440

.... but, that said, I'm in a different boob class than you are with a pair of very heavy A cups. I was a milk making machine when I was nursing. It was kinda inexplicable where all the milk was even coming from.

On the Wacoal - my experience

On the Wacoal - my experience is that when the temp dips, I need that protection up front or wind shear and cold can really wreak havoc on sweaty nipples. They just get cold.

Even before I ran barefoot, I always wore minimalist shoes and ran very "low to the ground" (which sounds better than sayng I am a "shuffler" . I have always been pretty efficient and I am fast, I think, for my weight class (think Lady Clydesdale). So bounceage has never been much of an issue. I saw photos from my last race and compared them with a friend who is similarly endowed and she looked like a racehorse in her Enell compared to me in my crappy saggy bra. I beat her by 2 minutes per mile, but I craved thart "athletic" no-boob look.

What about the fitted sport

What about the fitted sport tanks with a built in shelf bra?

I just bought one at Target

I just bought one at Target that actually fit over my DDD's but usually shelf bras are for A's and B's. I am going to try wearing it with a minimally supportive light bra and see how that improves things. What to do with my boob coffin? Too stiff for slingshot.

Hanging plant holders?

Hanging plant holders?

Guinea pig hammocks?

Guinea pig hammocks?

lmao TJ Schwab, I can

lmao TJ :p

Schwab, I can commiserate. I've also got DD/DDDs though with a band of 30/32 they pan out to be a C maybe? I actually have been experimenting with the shelf bras...though wasn't brave enough to run with just that today. I wore a regular underwire bra with the shelf bra and it worked perfectly. Are you looking soft cup for minimal? Maybe look into a "sleep bra" those are usually pretty minimal and are typically soft cup. I've never owned one, but have seen them around and from what I can tell, they're pretty minimal. Keep us posted, I too have an enel that I shrunk out of and a Freya underwire active and my boobs don't budge in that thing.

I wonder if the Enell would

I wonder if the Enell would be better if it was too big? I am in a losing weight mode right now, so maybe come winter it will not be bad?

Zumba, I would be fine with a regular old underwire if it was cool enough - the Lunaires are just a little too hot.

Tonight for a 90 degree run, I wore an old Lunaire sports bra that I had thrown out in the little trash bag in my shower locker at work (yes, we have showers at work!!!). I had to resurrect it one night when I forgot my Enell. It's problem was a poking underwire, so I ripped them both out and just wore it home. Yes, I am hardcore enough to resurrect bras out of the trash!

I wore that with this Target shelf bra shirt which worked well - http://www.target.com/C9-Champion-Racerback-Tank-Ebony/dp/B0037E2E8M/ref=br_1_3?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&qid=1279510276&searchView=grid5&sr=1-3&node=405486011&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=2&rh=&searchSize=30&searchBinNameList=collar_style-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice.

The shirt (I got an XL) provides a decent amount of compression around the boobage, but it's not hot and it fits over larger breasts. It's actually longer than it looks in the picture (I think it's the one I got!) and it didn't ride up at all. I was very happy with it. For more support, sizing down might be good. All my weight is up top, so an XL was a little snug and perfect for keeping everything a bit under control.

I, too, am in the DD range. 

I, too, am in the DD range. I have always used a Champion sports bra recommended by my aunt a few years ago. Recently, I went out for my run just using a sports tank with shelf bra and found it worked pretty well. My fear of not having good support regardless of how it feels during the run is that it will speed the work of gravity and I just do not need that.

Sherri

I found this today, too -

I found this today, too - http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=54487&vid=1&pid=758994

Sherri, your point is why I don't feel like the compression bras are that effective - they hold up and smushed but I don't feel like they are super supportive like a sports underwire is. Which Champion do you wear?

jschwab, I have 36DDs. The

jschwab, I have 36DDs. The Enell I have is bordering on too big now and is definitely more comfy that way. Also, a few times through the dryer and it's loosened its grip.

I have this Champion which I really like: http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Seamless-Support-Underwire-6242/dp/B000LUW638

Not as restrictive, but it does have underwire.

I'm about a B- and have found

I'm about a B- and have found that barefoot running has helped me a lot since I don't bounce like I used to. I need good support though. After 3 years of my life spent nursing, they just ain't what they used to be :p I can run with a regular underwire bra and a tank with the built in shelf bra. I'm totally jealous of anyone that can run with the shelf bra alone! Believe it or not, I love the Danskin High Impact bras from Wal-Mart. They are about $10 and come in all kinds of cool colors and styles. Normally I hate setting foot in a Wal-Mart, but my bras are the one exception. I stocked up on them before leaving for Korea so I have enough to last me 2 years.

Hmmm, so what is this connection between milk production and heaviness? My babies used to have to stop and let a few ounces go because it let down so fast they couldn't swallow fast enough and would choke. If they let go and leaned back they got it in the face like a shower head. I have to have ultrasound instead of regular mamo since my tissue is so dense. And the last one I nursed is 12 1/2!

I don't know about milk

I don't know about milk production and heaviness - I don't think it is particularly a medical research priority. When I didn't produce milk, it was not exactly a burning clinical issue for my docs. Ultrasounds to see if there is enough of the kind of tissue to produce milk as opposed to other kinds of tissues (fat, connective tissue) are very primitive and not useful, so I didn't push it. I just hear other women complaining about the weight of their breasts and pain and I don't have that at all.

Sorry about the delayed

Sorry about the delayed response. I've been really tied up with work.

I don't remember what I buy. This is the description my aunt gave to me, and I just buy based on this.

I use Champion Action Shape Sports bra with HCR (high motion control rating). It is very snug and is the best I have found.
Champion® Action Shape Sports Bra
This Champion Sports Bra gives great support for average to fuller figures. No wonder it's rated best sports bra for cup sizes C and larger.*

Non-stretch molded cups offer smooth, natural shaping.
Cotton-blend cup fabric wicks away moisture for cool, refreshing comfort.
Hidden panels stabilize bust to help stop damaging bounce.
No-slip stretch straps adjust with Velcro® for perfect custom fit.
Sides and back stretch for nonstop ease.
Covered back close. Natural Contour; Wicking; Stretch; High Motion Control: ideal for intense activities like running and aerobics. Cotton/polyester/Lycra® spandex. (Birch Heather is cotton/Lycra® spandex.) A seamless Champion sports bra, from our collection of Champion sports bras for high-impact sports and exercise.

Why do I keep allowing myself

Why do I keep allowing myself to get sucked into reading new posts in this thread. My mind knows there is nothing here for me yet I keep looking.

Brafree Running is not what I keep expecting