Alternative (traditional) footwear

Some days ago I felt nostalgic and thought on running a 10K (a training, not a race) in canvas... Like this famous video from RunnersWorld with this guy painfully heel-striking (just watching him causes pain). Don't worry, my form is pretty good and I do almost all my official training in MT10. I have documented this run somewhere else so that I just want to point out that it feels extremely good.

I am now planning on trying a pair of espadrilles, or better said, a pair of 'espardenyes' the traditional shoes of my homeland; the Valencian Country and Catalonia. There are two sorts of these shoes; the shallow one which is a common espadrille and the laced one. The latter is used as in the traditional dance ensembles and both types are also the footwear used in our traditional sport: pilota.

These shoes are made of canvas with a sole made from esparto (a grass sort) or hemp rope. The sole is quite thick for what we minimalists and barefooters are used too. The traditional sort lacks a heel, but more modern versions include some sort of rubber 'outsole' with a heel for no good reason but that people nowadays seem to think that the absence of heel can cause you foot cancer or so...

Historically, these sort of shoes have been the choice shoes for foot soldiers and landfolk for centuries. It is thus a sturdy shoe that will surely be able to get you through an ultra.

Besides the sheer fun of it I have the a certain scientific interest in learning by experience how soldiers and messengers from our European past used to run. I have never run in them, but I have worn them and I expect an extremely good performance on trails. I guess that roads will be too abrasive for this sort of soles but I aim to try with a few 10k.

I have also another interest in this type of shoes: I aim at finding an ultra-cheap and sustainable option for running besides of barefooting.

I will now begin to find a source of espadrilles.

More to come...

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
I thought about espadrilles for minimalist running as well some time ago - and finally did not buy them: the sole seemed too thick for my taste and not really flexible. But I'm very interested in how you run your 10 k with them!

I will now begin to find a source of espadrilles.

I have been thinking about espadrilles too...
I seem to remember that you live in the 'Randstad', so not too far from the Dutch coast... I know that here in Belgium it's rather easy to find a pair of espadrilles (not the laced ones) in tourist places near the coast. Although now, with winter approaching it might be more difficult, and since I haven't been wearing espadrilles for ages, I don't know it you can find some without a layer of rubber underneath, but it's certainly possible to find some with zero drop
I found a Belgian online-shop that caries espadrilles, however, only in rather small sizes... And I seem to remember that those cheap German Supermarket chains happen to have espadrilles once in a while (mostly in June or July I fear...)

Hey Anne, thanks for the tip. I have been searching online and there are indeed a few stores.
Most of them are however rather expensive as they are sold as fashion shoes for the summer.

My idea is not only to see how they perform but also to find a dead cheap alternative to running shoes.

Hobbit: i have the feeling that the soles are not going to be thick enough; If they wear out at the rate I suspect they do I will find myself barefooting in the middle of the run LOL.

In the US, there's Drilleys.com. I ordered one of their 2013 models, which they said ran very small so order a whole size up, which I did. Still way too small--should've ordered a 13. But even then, the toes would've been really cramped--no room at all for toe splay, although they say they stretch. The size 12 I tried on did not stretch much in the 20 minutes they suggested. But they also said in their sizing info that the toes were supposed to be crammed in (not their exact words)--something I missed when I read it on line.

Other than that, they looked pretty decent for $28. Maybe not minimal but zero drop--very slight heel, about 1.5 mms. Thin hard rubber glued to the jute insole. I was looking for a shoe that didn't make my feet hot by the end of the day. Other than the toe squeeze these might have been okay.

Reactions: EnricM
I'd like to try making a pair. All the ones I've seen were as badly-shaped as any other conventional shoe. Also, I'd use wool instead of canvas.

Reactions: EnricM
Hey Nyah, that's an awesome idea!
You could just adjust them to your own needs adding a wide toebox. Wool is definitely a good choice as water repelent.

In any case, I have found a store with the Spanish ones I was searching for: http://www.espadrillestore.com/alpargata-tradicional-celeste/

Well, for now the espadrille proyect has to wait, I'm running a half marathon in January that I plan to run in huaraches and in April I will go to run a 10K in Daegu, South Korea (this one with racing flats).

I was going to ask about the width of the toe box. It would seem that any enclosure runs the risk of constrictiong the toesies. (a technical term, yes) Perhaps invisble shoe / luna sort of huaraches might be more traditional?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts