5th Annual Winter Challenge

Storm came through last night and woke up this morning to a few inches of fresh snow and white covered roads. So a barefoot run is the first thing that should come to mind right? ;)

Pushed out my longest continuous snow run to 3 miles. The temp was right at my limit and my middle toe one each foot started to turn white after mile two but then I turned into the sun with the wind at my back, picked up the pace and kept pumping the toes and it didn't get any worse but decided at 3 miles not to chance it further. I took some pics during my run, thought it was pretty out (updated my avatar to a more seasonal one also) and while I had the camera phone I decided to try to shoot some video proof of my snow running (and practice uploading to youtube). If I did it right it should be here:

Nothing special just practicing shooting some video, and some proof of my craziness. Have to find some good video editing software for future videos.

Got in 3.5 miles yesterday, mostly walking because I'm rehabbing a minor sacroiliac injury. Temp was 34F, windchill 28F, and a fair amount of wet patches. I think this is the farthest I've walked at this temp/windchill. It felt good to have numb feet again. This morning I walked a mile in 27F/16F windchill, but completely dry surfaces, so no numbing. I'll try to take advantage of our thaw and the East Coast's snowstorm to get ahead of Mr. Gentile and crack the top ten again . . .

Great Job Tristan! What pace were you running? I wonder if I would have greater tolerance for snow if I could run faster?

Go Christian!
Go Yvonne!
I want a fight to the finish!

Bare Lee - After the calf problems I had last year, and then Achilles fall-winter I haven't really done any speedwork in a very long time. However on those runs that are right at my limit of cold tolerance I do tend to run faster. I think most of that run I was around a 7 minute pace, and I would typically run 8-9 minute pace or often even slower lately. I find running quicker really does get blood pumping hard in my system and gets me hot quick.

Bare Lee - After the calf problems I had last year, and then Achilles fall-winter I haven't really done any speedwork in a very long time. However on those runs that are right at my limit of cold tolerance I do tend to run faster. I think most of that run I was around a 7 minute pace, and I would typically run 8-9 minute pace or often even slower lately. I find running quicker really does get blood pumping hard in my system and gets me hot quick.
Thanks for the feedback Tristan. Yah, that makes sense. Maybe next winter, if I can get my aerobic pace down over the next 6-9 months, I can try some snow too. I know last winter I ran tempo pace when commuting to my office barefooted on those days when the temps were single digits, but dry.

Reactions: Tristan-OH
My running week was not as bad as expected. Most of the precipitation came down in liquid phase :), so I could do some barefoot work on the stadium track on tuesday and thursday evening.
But last night it finally snowed, so today I took the chance to try a small bf run on the asphalt roads covered with melting snow and lots of meltwater. As the snow-covered parts were short (temperature had increased to +3°C during the morning), it felt o.k. and so I ended up having run 8 km (5 mi). I later realized that I got no blisters/frostbite - obviously my feet have become more resistant against wet/cold conditions over the years.
Weather forecast for next week says we will have a few days of permanent frost, but not much snow. I will try to accept the challenge...

Update - 5335 miles

USA still maintains its lead. Christian is about to break 600 miles (actually did since the weekend) Groundhogs were flip flopping, so I'm thinking 6 more weeks of winter still to go.
Run safely everyone. Beware of salty roads.

Reactions: dharmadan
Update - Feb 15th

We've reached 5879 miles (9316 km). Wow ... we're going to smash records this year!
Christian Lemburg is stretching out his lead (104 mile lead over Yvonne). Yvonne has been MIA for the last few weeks. I hope she's not injured.
Good mileage put in this week by several people.

At -42°C (wind chill) today, you won't be see me out there!

6 more weeks to go. Run safely.

PS
Nice pics Gentile
Anyone else have pictures?

Reactions: Tristan-OH
I managed to hit two personal records today! I have never been a fan of cold weather and my running has dropped off severely during the past winters - not just because it is too cold for my feet, but because I hate being out in the cold, period. The coldest barefoot run I had ever attempted prior to this year was upper 20's (28 or 29), and that was only once. Well, this challenge has really gotten me out more often this winter (thank you!), all barefoot, although my mileage is still way down from the warmer weather. Prior to today the coldest run I had attempted was in the low 20's, and I thought that was about as far as I could push it. However, one thing I was missing in this challenge was a barefoot run in the snow. I never had a desire to do a snow run before, but this challenge managed to get it on my bucket list and I actually wanted to give it a try. As luck would have it, snowfall in Cincinnati has been light this year (which is mostly a good thing) and the couple of times we did have a small amount of snow accumulation came at times when I was not able to get out and run. That changed today. We have accumulating snow falling right now, and I have plenty of free time to get out and run. Unfortunately, this snow also came with really cold weather (single digits this morning) which did not thrill me. But I really wanted to get a snow run in and I thought this might be my only chance this winter, so I bit the bullet and did it. It was only 0.6 miles, but I think that still counts, right? So I got in my first ever snow run, and also my coldest run (official temp was 10 degrees). I was surprised how warm my feet felt the first couple of tenths of a mile, but then things turned very quickly. I think if I had gone much longer I would have gotten frostbite. Makes me think though, that if the temperature were closer to the upper 20's or low 30's I might be able to go a decent distance. This leaves me wanting to give it a try! We'll see if the weather cooperates :)

I managed to hit two personal records today! I have never been a fan of cold weather and my running has dropped off severely during the past winters - not just because it is too cold for my feet, but because I hate being out in the cold, period. The coldest barefoot run I had ever attempted prior to this year was upper 20's (28 or 29), and that was only once. Well, this challenge has really gotten me out more often this winter (thank you!), all barefoot, although my mileage is still way down from the warmer weather. Prior to today the coldest run I had attempted was in the low 20's, and I thought that was about as far as I could push it. However, one thing I was missing in this challenge was a barefoot run in the snow. I never had a desire to do a snow run before, but this challenge managed to get it on my bucket list and I actually wanted to give it a try. As luck would have it, snowfall in Cincinnati has been light this year (which is mostly a good thing) and the couple of times we did have a small amount of snow accumulation came at times when I was not able to get out and run. That changed today. We have accumulating snow falling right now, and I have plenty of free time to get out and run. Unfortunately, this snow also came with really cold weather (single digits this morning) which did not thrill me. But I really wanted to get a snow run in and I thought this might be my only chance this winter, so I bit the bullet and did it. It was only 0.6 miles, but I think that still counts, right? So I got in my first ever snow run, and also my coldest run (official temp was 10 degrees). I was surprised how warm my feet felt the first couple of tenths of a mile, but then things turned very quickly. I think if I had gone much longer I would have gotten frostbite. Makes me think though, that if the temperature were closer to the upper 20's or low 30's I might be able to go a decent distance. This leaves me wanting to give it a try! We'll see if the weather cooperates :)

Well done Mark!!! -- sure does count. Be careful with snow running. It sucks the heat out of your feet, especially fresh snow. I prefer a snow packed trail.

Yvonne has been MIA for the last few weeks. I hope she's not injured.
Good mileage put in this week by several people.

At -42°C (wind chill) today, you won't be see me out there!

Yvonne is still getting some miles in, just hasnt updated the sheet lately. Unfortunately my lack of miles really is a lack of miles. Busy with work and other things has left almost a week between runs. Have this week off but arctic conditions outside and I've thrown in the towel. It was already below zero °F wind chill early afternoon! I got some treadmill miles in but no clue when I'll get back outside barefoot.

Congrats Mark! Just try little by little or have some backup footwear. Hard packed & dry snow I find much easier. Loose fluffy stuff can be dangerous, as well as snow that's near or above freezing and wet.

Reactions: gueng and swoggis
does is count for double miles if i'm carrying (very carefully, safely, and bundled up properly...) my kid on my back? :) for some reason he calms down when very tired if i have him on my back, especially outside, and quite especially if i am walking fast or running. so when he was exhibiting signs of extreme exhaustion, i was just like, "let's get out the big guns and go for a run..."

in other news, perhaps we should revisit the early season discussion about how to go about doing this foolishness. i confess that after having provoked the debate about value of vasoline, i have only put it on the tops of my feet maybe one more time. instead, i have just been trying to keep getting out there and the feet have more or less acclimated. i don't have the pedal furnaces quite like yvonne reports, but after about 5 or 6 miles, my feet will usually be warm (sometimes even to the touch) even as low as 19F plus some fairly windy parts. while i haven't been actively pre-heating my feet, i have found that starting with cold feet (e.g., just sitting in my chair for a few hours before running as opposed to working standing up) results in a chillier experience.

i still have not developed a "dry" strategy for the rest of the body. whenever i try to be tricky and dress just barely warm enough, say, when it is 45F out, i end up much colder than when it is like 20F. so, i am still stuck in my "wet" strategy of tights, jeans, t-shirt/long sleeve t-shirt/sweatshirt (as appropriate) and a winter coat on top of that (to keep the wind off the eventually partially soaked shirts) and, naturally a hat. still no gloves, though, since i either put my hands together and join the coat sleeves or i have them partially exposed.

as with most others' experiences, snow is fun and smooth and ice cream for the feet and all that, but can really suck the heat out (especially on top). so i avoid it as much as possible in the interests of being able to go for more time/distance. as with anything, though, i'm guessing that with a little consistency and pre-heating the feet, i could do better. however, having weather cold enough to keep snow around long enough to get that kind of training also means, perhaps, cold enough that you will get cold regardless.

Reactions: dutchie53
in other news, perhaps we should revisit the early season discussion about how to go about doing this foolishness. i confess that after having provoked the debate about value of vasoline, i have only put it on the tops of my feet maybe one more time. instead, i have just been trying to keep getting out there and the feet have more or less acclimated. i don't have the pedal furnaces quite like yvonne reports, but after about 5 or 6 miles, my feet will usually be warm (sometimes even to the touch) even as low as 19F plus some fairly windy parts. while i haven't been actively pre-heating my feet, i have found that starting with cold feet (e.g., just sitting in my chair for a few hours before running as opposed to working standing up) results in a chillier experience.

I only ended up using Vaseline a couple times too. Its just so much of a mess and yucky and I don't think it helps enough to be worth while. For weeks here it wouldn’t have made enough difference anyhow (temps well below my threshold).

i still have not developed a "dry" strategy for the rest of the body. whenever i try to be tricky and dress just barely warm enough, say, when it is 45F out, i end up much colder than when it is like 20F. so, i am still stuck in my "wet" strategy of tights, jeans, t-shirt/long sleeve t-shirt/sweatshirt (as appropriate) and a winter coat on top of that (to keep the wind off the eventually partially soaked shirts) and, naturally a hat. still no gloves, though, since i either put my hands together and join the coat sleeves or i have them partially exposed.
I haven't had that problem lately - I mean the temps in the 40's scenario! Can't wait! Unless its really windy I don't have an issue with a thin long sleeve free race shirt and thin uninsulated tights in the 40's. If its calm and sunny that turns into short sleeve race shirt and shorts for me. I'll go down to around 15-20F with just a thin long sleeved shirt and a thin uninsulated running jacket usually. Single digits means a middle layer, usually just a looser long sleeve running shirt, and putting a more wind proof shell pant over top my tights. But even in single digits if I have 3 thin layers I end up unzipping the jacket unless its really windy. Gloves though are a must usually for me. Especially with the wind lately. That's the biggest problem in clothing I have had is finding the right gloves.

as with most others' experiences, snow is fun and smooth and ice cream for the feet and all that, but can really suck the heat out (especially on top). so i avoid it as much as possible in the interests of being able to go for more time/distance. as with anything, though, i'm guessing that with a little consistency and pre-heating the feet, i could do better. however, having weather cold enough to keep snow around long enough to get that kind of training also means, perhaps, cold enough that you will get cold regardless.
Yeah I don't have a lot of choice with the snow, and to be honest an even bigger problem for me is the grit on the country roads here when the snow is gone. If there is a thin layer of snow it makes the grit go away mostly. I can't wait until the bike path melts and I can run grit free on it! I imagine that will be quite some time yet.

Yeah, the German team has surely profited a lot by the the extension of the temp. range and will probably go on doing so. Long-term weather forecast says we may stay around 5-10°C in March.
I can't wait! I want to run so bad but this winter has turned out quite challenging. We actually hit in the -20's (F) yesterday morning (~ -30C). I think that has been the coldest I've ever seen in this area in the years I've been here. Today is actually nice, might put on the xc skis.

That's the biggest problem in clothing I have had is finding the right gloves.
Have you tried light mitts? They've worked for me down to -18C with no problem for the last 2 years. I can end a run of any length with feeling in my fingers rather than icicles for digits!

Reactions: Yvonne

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090