WHY DO I DO IT?!?!?!

Ddubb925 wrote:I just went

Ddubb925 said:
I just went on a small preaching binge on the RW injury forum.. it's just too temping. The RW barefoot forum is completely inundated with minimalist shoe issues, and people don't take kindly to "purists."

Cool! You may have talked me into checking the injury forum.

In my experience the Injury

In my experience the Injury forum is reasonably receptive of barefooting suggestions, especially if it's packaged as part of a number of recommendations and approach it as a way to strengthen the feet. ("You don't need to never run in shoes again, just do a little walking and running to get stronger and healthier.")

One way being an ambassador is biting me is at work. Last summer we had a program to encourage creativity and out-of-the-box thinking. People were asked to give talks/seminars on unusual things they do outside of work. As you can imagine there were all sorts of cool hobbies people got to learn about. I, of course, gave a session on barefoot/minimalist running. For a couple of weeks after people would say "I wasn't able to make it to your barefoot running session." Now I'm walking around in the dreaded boot: "Oh - you got that as a result of barefoot running?" "Well - it's a bit more complicated than that........." So now I'm a bit defensive. "See that guy over there in the boot? He said BFR was the way to go - now look at him."

Jim

I thought Chase had been

I thought Chase had been boring well behaved over here.

When I was applying for jobs a couple years ago a pop up would come up like "Do you have 6 years of experience milking exotic animals?" and I'd click no, and it would take me to a form saying, thanks this is not for you or something... they should do something like that.

Barefootandagel wrote:Jim,

Barefootandagel said:
Jim, You really have problem..LOL. I have almost stopped visiting RW. I mean since I am banned from posting what is the point??? :)

I think it would be easier if I was banned. One prob is that I know I can post. That's why potentially going out in a blaze of glory and getting the banhammer could be a fun thing to do. Talk about killing two birds with one stone: Have some fun AND get banned - therefore stopping one from returning and feeding a bad habit.

I want to go on record as

I want to go on record as saying there are still a COUPLE really good people at that other place.

Read what you all had to say.

Read what you all had to say. It is a wee bit frustrating hearing about other shod problems. I love it that people see me barefooted running 10 to 14 miles at a shot and are so surprised I haven't had a problem since I gave up shoes!

I must admit, I do have a pair of Zems to wear outdoors when the temp is too cold for me but I have to do that to keep my feet from freezing. I go to the indoor asphalt track mostly just so I can run Barefooted most of the time during the cold winter months.

I do love getting thumbs up and wows from people there when they see my feet. I do hope I am a good example and others get to thinking that if "that barefooted lady" can do it maybe there really IS something to this.

Hey!  Be nice to Jonix. 

Hey! Be nice to Jonix. She's good people!

Ddubb925 wrote:The

Ddubb925 said:
The unfortunate thing is, so many injured runners that go to forums like the RW injury forum are so broken down and beaten up by shoes that they are genuinely desperate for suggestions to cure their ailments... and some I think would be open minded to trying bfr/mr if the option is presented to them. Now I know that's no excuse to go treading in barefoot unfriendly territory, so then the logical question would be (as asked by OP) WHY DO I DO IT?!?!?!

And Ddubb also said he goes in to preach now and then. And for that I just say thanks. Because I was one of those, genuinely desperate for pain relief in my feet. And the more I looked I'd pick up clues and hints to going barefoot to strengthen my feet. And those clues and hints led to different links and research. And after going barefoot for about two months I have less foot pain (not free yet) than I've had in years and more hope than I've had in a long time for being pain free at some point. People find out what I'm doing and they're in shock that when I say "barefoot" I mean literally, and not in a "barefoot-shoe." So thanks for not giving up on all those shoe forums and pain forums.

I'll let her know then. 

I'll let her know then. ;-)

TEASING!

TEASING!

Joy

Joy Unshod said:
Ddubb925 said:
People find out what I'm doing and they're in shock that when I say "barefoot" I mean literally, and not in a "barefoot-shoe." So thanks for not giving up on all those shoe forums and pain forums.

Ya know, that's weird, I get that too. Just had a friend send me an email.

She said " i was watching tv and they did a piece on barefoot runners and how their toes take such a beating. so they have barefoot runner "socks/shoes" (like a ped) with cushioned toes. i'm gonna check it out cause in the winter i walk the treadmill in slippers as i hate sneakers or tie shoes of any kind. thought these might give a little more support."

I told her I only wear Zems when it is too cold but have put tons of miles on my bare feet and the only time I ever had trouble was when I upped my milage too much too fast and had some blisters. But that was my own fault.

so with all the complaints from shod runners it's no wonder people think we must have tons of problems, too! OY

Toes take a beating.  sigh.

Toes take a beating. sigh.

Joy Unshod wrote:Ddubb925

Joy Unshod said:
Ddubb925 said:
The unfortunate thing is, so many injured runners that go to forums like the RW injury forum are so broken down and beaten up by shoes that they are genuinely desperate for suggestions to cure their ailments... and some I think would be open minded to trying bfr/mr if the option is presented to them. Now I know that's no excuse to go treading in barefoot unfriendly territory, so then the logical question would be (as asked by OP) WHY DO I DO IT?!?!?!

And Ddubb also said he goes in to preach now and then. And for that I just say thanks. Because I was one of those, genuinely desperate for pain relief in my feet. And the more I looked I'd pick up clues and hints to going barefoot to strengthen my feet. And those clues and hints led to different links and research. And after going barefoot for about two months I have less foot pain (not free yet) than I've had in years and more hope than I've had in a long time for being pain free at some point. People find out what I'm doing and they're in shock that when I say "barefoot" I mean literally, and not in a "barefoot-shoe." So thanks for not giving up on all those shoe forums and pain forums.
Very nicely put, I guess it's kind of a good deed for those out there that are injured. your welcome :D

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7