What do you say -- about time of day?

Did my weights and rowing this morning, again at 6am. Now I have a serious case of drowsiness. Exactly why I don't like to exercise so early. I hope I adapt to the new schedule over time. In the meantime, espresso abuse.

omg man, I got up at 5:30 yesterday and did my 25 minute run + walking and stuff, and then I felt like a dang ZOMBIE the rest of the day. Driving to work, felt like falling asleep. Eating lunch, almost dozing off. Man it was bad.

omg man, I got up at 5:30 yesterday and did my 25 minute run + walking and stuff, and then I felt like a dang ZOMBIE the rest of the day. Driving to work, felt like falling asleep. Eating lunch, almost dozing off. Man it was bad.
Yah, my biorhythms (do people still use that term?) all indicate that I should do my exercise at the end of the afternoon, but socially, and mentally, early morning is best. As Barefoot Everett says, it's the best way to start the day. I'm just hoping my metabolism will accept it. Yesterday I felt fine, but today . . . I'm about to brew my fourth cup of espresso (I usually limit myself to two per day).

On days I don't run or get in the gym because I think I need the rest I always feel like crap the whole day. Both mentally and physically I feel time to have been wasted. "Life is lost on the sedentary." Not sure if I came up with that originally or not but I think I wrote it about 4 miles in this morning and I'm going to claim it to be my new motto... for now.:barefoot:

Reactions: Bare Lee
On days I don't run or get in the gym because I think I need the rest I always feel like crap the whole day. Both mentally and physically I feel time to have been wasted. "Life is lost on the sedentary." Not sure if I came up with that originally or not but I think I wrote it about 4 miles in this morning and I'm going to claim it to be my new motto... for now.:barefoot:

This is how I feel. That is a kick ass quote about sedentary! I might have to steal that from you from time to time.

Reactions: Barefoot Everett
Nice, all of my runs are done early in the morning during the week. The great thing is I own the roads, I don't have to run near the edge of the streets where all the garbage an glass is. I literally run in the middle of the road. Plus the air is cleaner. There are times when I sleep in my running shorts roll out of bed and hit the road running shirtless and barefoot.

Yes, I am so right with you, except I hit the john, let out the dogs, hydrate a bit, put on a shirt, GPS watch, fuelband, wrist roadid, reflective ankle roadid strap, sweat gutr, then I'm out on the road.

I like the middle of the road, because it's relatively flat and the edges are sloped. I don't know, but there seems to be tiny bits of glass all over the neighborhood. I even snagged some right in front of my house!

Since I run on the road, there's no way I'm running after a day of Florida sun heating up the blacktop. The road continues to radiate heat for hours after sundown, and it's about 5 degrees hotter than the concrete sidewalks. It's warm enough, that even if we get a light rain and the grass and sidewalks are wet, the road is dry.

So morning it is, and I get a kick out of hearing the rooster from the farm nearby.
(I live in the 'burbs and can't see the farm from the development, but finally figured it out after looking on google maps.)

Running in the morning is also a nice jump start for the day and gets me energized. I have the road mostly all to myself, and I have a little bit of "me" time that I can give myself first thing. Then, I can go deal with everyone else's problems the rest of the day. I like starting off the day with the best part first. It's like hitting the desserts first at a buffet, or skipping the salad and going straight for the meat at a churrascaria.

Aerobic exercise is also easier in the morning for me, rather than trying to run after work, when I'm tired. (Although, I seem to have more energy for strength training in the afternoon.)

For the folks getting the snoozies after their morning exercise, part of that is adapatation. If your body was used to running late in the day, then it likely thinks that a few hours later is bed time. You may just need to stick with it and your body will figure it out over time. Eventually I expect you would find that your experience is much like the folks who have been exercising in the morning for years.......that is to say, you'd be more tired and useless on days you DIDN'T exercise in the morning.

For the folks getting the snoozies after their morning exercise, part of that is adapatation. If your body was used to running late in the day, then it likely thinks that a few hours later is bed time. You may just need to stick with it and your body will figure it out over time. Eventually I expect you would find that your experience is much like the folks who have been exercising in the morning for years.......that is to say, you'd be more tired and useless on days you DIDN'T exercise in the morning.
Good point; I'm hoping that's the case. My days have been seriously screwed up this week (except for the first day, Monday). I got up at 1am this morning, but will try to make it through the day, and am running my hill repeats in a few minutes. Didn't do my deadlifts yesterday because I was tired and didn't want to risk injury, but did get in a decent row. I know mornings are the way to go, so I'm trying to be patient, but it's hard to work under these conditions . . .

Well, got in a week's worth of early morning workouts (except yesterday's was divided between weights in the morning and the run in the afternoon), and fulfilled my idealized workout schedule of six per week for the first time in about a month. Today no drowsiness so far, so perhaps I'm already adapting. The day's rhythm really feels radically different this way, and I think I like it.

Did my weights and rowing this morning, again at 6am. Now I have a serious case of drowsiness. Exactly why I don't like to exercise so early. I hope I adapt to the new schedule over time. In the meantime, espresso abuse.

This jogged (Sorry...) a memory for me. I remember when I was doing a fair amount of strength training I had to switch those workouts to afternoons, because I felt drowsy all day after my 6am workouts. Cardio, on the other hand, was always fine in the a.m.

Puns always welcome. Linguists tend to be quite childish that way.
It's funny, because theoretically weights should be easiest in the morning, and aerobic in the afternoon. More evidence, I guess, that it greatly depends on the individual. When do you workout now?
Whenever my two kids allow me to! In all seriousness, it varies (which I like). Being summer my wife and I are both home (she's a teacher and I am looking for a teaching job now that I am DONE with my master's) so we work around each other to make sure we both get our runs/sanity time. During the school year it's either early a.m. or evenings, though. I agree wholeheartedly about individuality. It's why I rarely take advice based on others' anecdotal experiences (and try not to give too much based on my own). Hearing from others gives me fodder for thought, but I can't apply what anyone else does to myself; it's always ended poorly in the past...

I hope I don't "adapt" because I much prefer running near my office during my lunch break than in my neighborhood. But I don't right now because it's just too hot, so I have to run early in the morning. When it starts to get a bit cooler again I will switch back to mid-day runs.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon